Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomLord

Best Doom level [in an iwad]?

So, question is simple: What level you prefer most? Level that you always like to play again and again, or that one that is most carefully designed, and so on. No player- made stuff is allowed, just levels from first Doom episodes, Doom 2 levels and Final Dooms. AND why.
For myself, secret level "Go 2 It" (Plutonia I think) is a good brainless shooting test and so, fun.

Map 07 (Dead Simple) was, for its time, a remarkable gameplay experience - it required the player to constantly move, and provided few opportunities to hide and snipe.

E2M8 (Tower of Babel) was truly a tense and frightening level - the first encounter with the dreaded Cyberdemon is probably something all DooMers remember. Plus, using just the keyboard made for somewhat slower player response times, and made the battle far more challenging than it is now.

E3M5 (Unholy Cathedral) & E3M6 (Mt. Erebus) were also very memorable for me - the former because of the incredible disorientation the map caused, and the latter because I felt it was the closest representation of Hell among all the maps.

I've always liked E3M7. I also tend to play E2M7 a lot.

Right now I'd say Map29 (large an epic) and E4M2 (small and action packed).

Heh, E4M2 is in fact a mini Map29.

This is going to be a toughie...

E1: Umm... don't know.
E2: Tower of Bable, good experience
E3: Mt Erebus, hellish
E4: Umm I guess map 2, although Sever thee Wickedly is close.

Doom2: Ehh.. umm... I thought Gotcha was pretty cool.
TNT: Ermm... crap don't know.
Plutonia: I guess Go 2 It, a lot of stuff to kill.

Inferno said:

Sever thee Wickedly

Heh, what?

Saying which are the best Doom 1 levels...
Episode 1: Map 6: Central Processing -- the largest of the nine, funny how sergeants can open that door for you.....

Episode 2: Map 5: Command Center -- real tough on start...

Episode 3: Map 4: House of Pain -- the toughest on fast monsters, good music too.

Episode 4: Map 6: Against thee Wickedly -- the largest of the nine, and most 'complete' too.

Doom 2
------

Cluster 1 (underground): Level 6: The Crusher -- the largest, 'cause it's the last.

Cluster 2 (starport): Level 11: Circle of Death -- clean level.

Cluster 3 (home): Level 16: Suburbs -- very hard level.

Cluster 4 (hell on earth): Level 29: The Living End -- music rules.

TNT: Evilution
--------------
Level 20, Central Processing. Huge level, suspense too.

The Plutonia Experiment
-----------------------
Among all those ugly levels, I take Level 11, Hunted, for being different. Haven't finished Plutonia, though. Am I missing something?

I really enjoyed E3m9. After all the effort it takes to get the the secret exit, the sense of "Hang on, wtf?" the map caused was ace.

That and Pandemonium, because I have fond memories of running around, being severely disoriented with a friend, accidently telefragging eachother. In terms of looks, I like the atmosphere of E2, but gameplay wise, E3 is fantastic.

Doom II, Tricks and Traps, because its a bastard on UV Coop.

TNT, one of the early maps (I forget) with the warp gate and the 2 identical facilities... I think it was around map05 or 06. That was fun. That, or map30 because of its puzzles.

Plutonia, I don't like much :(

Until recently my favorite Ultimate Doom level was E3M7 (Limbo) until I recently played through all of Thy Flesh Consumed and stumbled upon E4M5 (They Will Repent) and I fell in love with it. I really like it. I completely forgot about it and now I just love it.

My favorite Doom 2 map has always been MAP18 (The Courtyard) for some reason I don't know why. I think it might be because of the epic battle that takes place. I will say, though, that my LEAST favorite map has to be MAP12 (The Factory)... it's so BORING.

Icarus said:

TNT, one of the early maps (I forget) with the warp gate and the 2 identical facilities... I think it was around map05 or 06.

It's level 4, Wormhole.

I have NEVER played through Final Doom at all, just a couple of levels now and then and I never remember their names so I won't go there.

As for the Doom levels, I think all the Boss levels are memorable. All the secret levels APART from Military Base are also memorable (a secret level has to be memorable and interesting that's why it's a secret! -- though I never understood why Military Base was a secret level, it just seemed like another part of the larger UAC presence on Phobos).

Gotcha was good for it's Spider Mastermind vs. Cyberdemon fight. I always loved the music of The Spirit World, also the fact that you can get two Spider Masterminds to fight each other on UV ;P

Industrial Zone was good because I like city-like levels, there's lots to do, and it's got the entrance to the secret level. Tricks 'n' Traps, namely because I got Doom 2 first, so that was the first level I saw a Cyberdemon ;) (oh and the fact that you can trick it into fighting X many barons that are in that room to)

BoldEnglishman said:

though I never understood why Military Base was a secret level, it just seemed like another part of the larger UAC presence on Phobos).

Two things:

1) the pentagram shaped in-teleportation gate. It doesn't appear anywhere else in Episode 1 (level 5 merely has a personnel teleporter), and hardly in classic original 3-episode Doom (only E3M5 comes to mind).

3) the exit. Have you noticed there's an exit switch but no exit door? In Doom 1, exit doors appear in E1M1-M7, E2M1-M7, E3M1, E3M3-M7 and E4M9. Except E3M2, in classic vanilla registered 3-episode Doom 1, all regular levels have exit doors, but none for the secret ones. Also E4 is a reverse: only the secret one has a door (two in fact), and it also shows a more techy, human design, unlike other e4 levels.

I will sound a bit classic, but my picks are E1M1, E2M1 and some Final Doom's levels (too lazy to make a list).

Doom 2 has nothing so particularly good that I'd willingly replay, though :-)

@printz: Err... E2M1 has several pentagram teleporters, although they are the only "hellish" element of that level, along with the "inverted cross".

Maes said:

@printz: Err... E2M1 has several pentagram teleporters, although they are the only "hellish" element of that level, along with the "inverted cross".

There's no E2M1 in episode 1. Map 5 has a sector pentagram like Map 9 but it's just a personal teleporter which appears a lot in registered Doom, unlike warp-in traps which only appear twice in the first three episodes......

Oops misread your post, I thought it was about all of Doom 1's episodes. Yup, Episode 1 is the least "hellish" of them all if you exclude E1M8.

It doesn't seem that the Mars UAC base has teleporter technology. The teleporters in E1M8 and E1M9 seem to be hellish devices, and the teleporter in E1M5 wasn't even there in v1.1, but added in a later version, probably during deathmatch optimization without any thoughts to the plot.

However, this could be just coincidence, as many of E1's maps are early drafts seen in alpha versions and teleporters apparently were added at a later time.

What's wrong with you people? The mighty E1M7 all the way. ;)

I really like E3M9 for some reason too.

I can't think of any Doom2 levels that really capture my imagination. I play the first 3 maps quite a bit, map29 and "Tricks and Traps" but none of them are that great IMO.

ULT DOOM: E1M8 was my most highly favored! E1M3,E1M4, E1M9, E2M8 and E3M2 were also my favorites
Doom 2: MAP09-The Pit and MAP16-Suburbs
Final Doom: MAP21-Slayer

my personal favorites!

MAP02 (Underhalls) is brilliant. Plus, it's got my favorite music.

Doom;
E1M6, E2M2 and E3M6
I don't know about "Thy flesh consumed", as I've never played that episode yet (I know it's a sin to not have played this and calling yourself a doom nerd nonetheless)

Doom2,
Map07, Map11, Map17, Map20, Map26 and Map29
As it seems, I'm one of the very feew people who like Doom2's maps generally better than the one from it's predecessor... it's propably because I've just watched my brother playing Doom, while I for myself started the serial with Doom2 a few years later!

Tnt;
I stopped playing this epsiode after map06 or something... I don't like it , and i propably never will for some reason.
The maps just feel amateurish to me even compared to the original games, wich are even older!

Plutonia;
map29!
Actually, I think this is one of the best Doom maps I've ever had the pleasure of playing thus far.

Doom/Ultimate Doom - E1M7,E3M7,E4M6
Doom 2 - Map 29

The only thing that ever stood out to me in Final Doom was how bad some of the Plutonia levels were. :p