Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

Mein Übermensch

Here's an Übermutant mini action figure, with meat cleaver accessories--based on the PC Spear of Destiny video game in which he appears--that I made. I decided to make his proportions somewhat more realistic, as the Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny game sprites are rather chunky looking. I was also thinking of making him a backpack, with an ammunition belt feeding out of it and into a slot in his back, in the interest of having a plausible source of ammunition for his chain gun, but, then, I reminded myself that he is a made-up creature whose design probably wouldn't work in the 'real' world anyway, and decided to leave him as he appears in the game, just 'magically' having ammo for the gun from no apparent source (in my write-up, I just said the bullets are somehow stored/produced internally)--in that respect, I guess I'll just think of him as an animated Nazi pinata filled with bullets.

(NOTE: Figure shown above holding my Übermutant is a M&C Toy Power Team Elite World Peacekeepers 'U.N. Force' 12-inch toy--I didn't make it. And, yes, I know troops in WWII didn't have that kind of uniform/equipment--I don't have any WWII-era toys, so I had to make due with a modern soldier for this photo.)

For comparison purposes, below are three images of Übermutant from different video game systems. Note that the MAC version has double resolution sprites (128x128 pixels) compared to the SNES and PC versions (64x64 pixels), which is why that version of Übermutant is more detailed.

Webpage with more info (dimensions/materials/background story/etc). In my research, I found the real history behind Hitler/Nazi interest in the Spear of Destiny (the legendary weapon used to pierce Jesus on the cross) to be quite fascinating, and I recommend reading up on it if you're interested and would like to know more on the subject:

http://www.geocities.com/kramwartap/ubermutant.html

Wow this is a nice suprise! Very nicely done. I would think that Ubermutant would be more bulkier but because you said you wanted to keep the proportions more reaslistic, thats understandable. I like the pose of the back flex, funny with 4 arms.

Also very nice read with the Spear of Destiny, didn't realize it was first kept in a museum.

EDIT: On second thought, a more muscular body would be better.

Its head makes it look like a kid. If it has a chaingun for a chest, why not make it beefy and strong-looking? He's a boss.

Yeah, I like the model, but I really think that it should be beefier, it just loses a little of its flair when you make it "realistic."

I'd agree,that the model looks a bit "skinny", other than that awesome work, just as everything else from you!

I agree that he looks a bit strange like this, but I think he'd look equally goofy in 3-dimensions if I'd tried to replicate the game sprite's proportions exactly. Considering the end result, making him more muscular/beefier, as some of you suggested, might have been a better approach for me to take.

Inferno: I stole the idea for the 4-arm flex pose from Goro in Mortal Kombat.

You could probably make a pretty nice one if you took a little fabric and sewed up a baggy outfit to drape over the model. That way you could even use the model you've already made and get the look everyone keeps talking about.

I thought the flex looked familiar.

Btw I don't think anyone wants the absurd chunkiness that the game showed, just more muscularity to show a more meaty figure. Bank's idea is a good consideration.

Making a baggy outfit for him isn't a bad idea, but I think clothing material might be too thick at this scale (he's only 2 1/2 inches tall). Thin, stretchy plastic (like the kind you find garbage/grocery bags made out of) would likely look better. I'm working on my Vagary now, but I'll think about it.

MmM said:

I was also thinking of making him a backpack, with an ammunition belt feeding out of it and into a slot in his back, in the interest of having a plausible source of ammunition for his chain gun, but, then, I reminded myself that he is a made-up creature whose design probably wouldn't work in the 'real' world anyway, and decided to leave him as he appears in the game, just 'magically' having ammo for the gun from no apparent source (in my write-up, I just said the bullets are somehow stored/produced internally)--in that respect, I guess I'll just think of him as an animated Nazi pinata filled with bullets.

See, that's why he has the extra bulk. Part of it is probably ammo belts worn under his coat. Plus, he needs to be pretty buff to carry a front mounted chaingun and not fall over.

It looks cool. but this is one of those characters that I wouldn't try to make realistic. I would have gone with the chunky proportions for Nastalgia, and a more authentic Wolfenstien look. I also agree it should be more buff. like Arnold who is wide and a real person.

From a purely physical standpoint, ignoring design, I disagree that Ubermutant has to be bulky/muscular in order to carry the chain gun because he's a mutant/zombie, not an ordinary human. Mutants/zombies are generally depicted as having superhuman strength/endurance/stamina. Anything that is strong enough to take several direct rocket hits and survive is plenty tough enough to easily lug around a chaingun in their gut in my opinion.

There's another reason I made him with more realistic proportions: Unlike my previous figures, I'm trying to maintain some semblance of scale/uniformity between my mini action figures (Armagon, who'd be much bigger than he is, in comparison to my other mini figures, doesn't count, because he's a toy for the Gremlin, not a stand-alone figure).

bottom line he would have looked cooler with the funky wolfenstein proportions IMHO. You are right tho, one doesn't need to be bulky to be strong just look at monkeys.

I believe id games at least doom and maybe Quake had a problem with the resolution or something that made everything appear wider/chunkier then normal. But that's the way I remember these little guys.

Of course I will make my own interpretations of id characters with realism. I just don't see the ubermutant translating well as a realistic character. just my thoughts

Wolfenstein 3D is kinda screwy—the regular enemies have somewhat realistic proportions, but all the bosses look like Japanese super-deformed characters (wide as they are tall). I don’t argue that my Ubermutant figure looks strange when compared to what’s in the game. As I said, I have my doubts about the game proportions looking ‘right’ sculpted in 3-dimensions, but maybe I’m wrong.

I was thinking about Ubermutant having to be muscular to carry chain guns some more yesterday, and I said to myself, if that’s true, than how can Hitler carry one in each hand? Aside from being physically impossible, Hitler certainly wasn’t known to be a muscle-bound, steroid-swallowing, he-man. That’s video games for you . . .

MmM said:

than how can Hitler carry one in each hand? Aside from being physically impossible, Hitler certainly wasn’t known to be a muscle-bound, steroid-swallowing, he-man. That’s video games for you . . .

Same as how does the Doctor have twice the hitpoints of any other Wolf3d boss except Hitler. Yet the Doctor looks unarmored and unarmed. What I do is name the Doctor and Adolf, together with easter eggs and fake hitlers, as the cartoons of the game. The rest however, look more realistic. The rest, including Mr Ubermutant.

MmM said:

For comparison purposes, below are three images of Übermutant from different video game systems. Note that the MAC version has double resolution sprites (128x128 pixels) compared to the SNES and PC versions (64x64 pixels), which is why that version of Übermutant is more detailed.

Being a Wolf3D fan also, I have to say that the mac version doesn't feel very Wolf3d-ish.
But, Back on topic, His head makes him look younger, and he's a little skinny... But aside from Wolf3dness, It's a great-looking action figure. Very well done.

CGC002 said:

Being a Wolf3D fan also, I have to say that the mac version doesn't feel very Wolf3d-ish.
But, Back on topic, His head makes him look younger, and he's a little skinny... But aside from Wolf3dness, It's a great-looking action figure. Very well done.

U NOT QUOT IMAG KTHX
Ahem. Seriously, don't quote images.

You know what I've always hated. those fuckin rats that strafe back and forth real fast. fuckin rats I hate em.

I played the original on PC, spear of destiny which was the best and rented the snes version. And there was this other version where the graphics looked different but I forget the name of it.

Shapeless said:

And there was this other version where the graphics looked different but I forget the name of it.

Blake Stone?

yomoneyboat said:
Ahem. Seriously, don't quote images.

Okay, I'm just used to quoting images on other forums.

Shapeless said:
You know what I've always hated. those fuckin rats that strafe back and forth real fast. fuckin rats I hate em.

D: I disliked the SNES version.

I didn't care much for the NES version either. I know wolf from blake stone. This was another version were the nazis that look like boy scouts wear green and the SS that wear blue are now dressed in black. I think it had something to do with spear of destiny. which is the best wold 3d game IMHO.

Shapeless said:

This was another version were the nazis that look like boy scouts wear green and the SS that wear blue are now dressed in black. I think it had something to do with spear of destiny.

Probably the Formgen SoD addons "Ultimate Challenge" and "Return to Danger". Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_of_Destiny_(computer_game)

I also agree that Spear was the best Wolf game. Probably the coolest ending ever.

yes that's the one Trilinear you know your stuff. Anyway I'm glad that Übermutant is holding butcher knives in his hands rather then a chain gun in each hand.

just some trivia

The Nazi's really were doing experiments to create an army of undead butcher knife, chaingun weiling super soldiers. I bet not to many of you knew that ;)

Hehe it is so funny reading this thread here **
As i already mentioned I am German and it is always funny to read how you discuss about the Nazi stuff...
In Germany it is forbidden to show things like swastikas and such symbol, which is also the reason why games like wolfenstein are strictly forbidden here.
I've never heard of Nazis wanting to clone an undead army (I guess it was a joke of yours) but indeed they wanted to breed an army of aryian and strong men, so they built houses in which they ordered german wives with light hair to have sex with muscular males to create perfect humans...

by the way, dont know how many of you are able to speak German, but i can translate texts foryou, if you want, for your funny mod projects... ;)