Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Corrupted Marine

Doom Universe

Hello everyone, Corrupted Marine here for the first time in a long time. Ive been working on bits and pieces of a secret project for some time, but I realize that there is no way possibly that I can work on this project alone so I am here to let the cat out of the bag and hope that many of you will pitch in on the project. I am working on the internet site right now, and it should be done relatively soon. When it is done it will be located at doomuniverse.com

Anyways, here is the main logo:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7671/doomuniverse2ap9.png

Doom Universe is a MMORPG based off the original 1994 PC game Doom, by ID Software. The gameplay is very much like that of World Of Warcraft or StarWars Galaxies. The player view is in First Person. As in World of Warcraft, there are two sides. Humans and Demons. Then there are species and classes for the two. For example, if you choose Human, you will be able to choose something like Human/Marine
or Human/Engineer or Human/Medic. As in World of Warcraft, depending on what species you choose, you will spawn in different parts of the universe. For example, a Human/Marine will start at a UAC base probably stationed on Phobos. A Demon/Imp will start in Hell.
Basically, the whole game will be a huge universe for players to interact. You will be able to travel to different planets, etc. ex. from Phobos to Earth, etc.

Basically so everyone gets the general idea, Doom Universe is an MMORPG based off World of Warcraft and StarWars Galaxies, it has many of the old content that you see in older doom games and tons of all new content, but remains very respectable to the original Doom idea. This will be an amazing experience for all Doom fans!

At the moment the project is being ran using Risen3D. But the final game will most likely have to be a modified version of the Risen3D source code. An entirely new engine will probably have to be programmed for this project.

The entire project will be 3D using md2 models, 3D floors, 3D terrain, slopes, etc. The original Risen3D Doom models will be used as well as many others.

----------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone is interested in working on the project, you will be allowed to send an application and portfolio (if you have one.) DO NOT apply here at Doomworld!

*All positions are available at this point.*

Top positions needed:
Legal Team
Mapping Team
Programming Team
Storyboard
texture artists
Model artists

Many other positions are available just contact for details!!!

Again, when the site is up, anyone interested in working on the project, will be allowed to send an application and portfolio (if you have one.) DO NOT apply here at Doomworld!

Corrupted Marine, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Will this be done with the Doom engine or an engine developed by yourself and your team?

Edit: I skipped a paragraph about the Risen3D part. I think you should make your own engine it would allow for more possibilities.

I doubt there's a need to use md2s instead of sprites, unless you're going for true-3d maps. Speaking of maps, how would you possibly include whole worlds? Will it be just a hub/cluster like in Strife or Hexen?

How are you gonna handle hundreds of players? Will it be first person as default (ultra speed too) or third person with more human abilities (runner speed not car speed)?

Sounds hugely ambitious, I hope you have it planned. I can't join because I can't fix my schedule, and I expect few people to be able to do so. As Newproject said, what about starting to work a little and a little (even though it sucks to do it alone), then attracting some help here and there?

Antidote said:

Will this be done with the Doom engine or an engine developed by yourself and your team?

Edit: I skipped a paragraph about the Risen3D part. I think you should make your own engine it would allow for more possibilities.

I'm not familiar with Risen3D's scripting capabilities, but in my experience with the engine, I dont think it will even come close to what will be required for this project. We will most likely have to develop an entirely new engine for the project. However, Risen3D does have all the mapping capabilities and model support i'm looking for in this project.

printz said:

I doubt there's a need to use md2s instead of sprites, unless you're going for true-3d maps. Speaking of maps, how would you possibly include whole worlds? Will it be just a hub/cluster like in Strife or Hexen?

How are you gonna handle hundreds of players? Will it be first person as default (ultra speed too) or third person with more human abilities (runner speed not car speed)?

Sounds hugely ambitious, I hope you have it planned. I can't join because I can't fix my schedule, and I expect few people to be able to do so. As Newproject said, what about starting to work a little and a little (even though it sucks to do it alone), then attracting some help here and there?

Well, the original idea of the game came to me one day when I was messing around with ZDoom in the DoomBuilder. I was doing some ACS scripting and threw together a little RPG map of my own. Then the idea hit me, why not make an MMORPG for ZDoom!? Since Skulltag had the same features as ZDoom practically, we could make the RPG and run in on SkullTag servers. But then, after much thought, I said to myself, if i'm going to do this, i'm going to do it right. So, I decided to make the project entirely 3D. 3D objects, 3D world, complicated scripting, etc.
As far as the players go, I'm trying to find someone with good server space to host the game servers. There will be several servers to choose from so that all the players will not be crowded on one server. I believe you will be able to choose between first person and 3rd person but I dont know anything about the coding part. I will just have to wait and see what team I can come up with to help program the engine.
The world will be open ended I hope. It all depends on limitations of the engine and what not. So the mapping will be much like World of Warcraft. A big open world.

Corrupted Marine said:

Legal Team

Good idea, then they can tell you that ripping the Doom movie logo is illegal. :p

Corrupted Marine said:
the original 1994 PC game Doom, by ID Software.

The year starts in January, where I live.