Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the iron hitman

Most disappointing Doom WAD or project ever?

wonder why action doom got a flaming, i loved it and i still play it! pfft....worst wad ever.....thats a damn tough one....erm.....i'd say the last level of Final Doom: TNT as it had one hell of a tough exit to find. i thought what a waste of time, why could i just blast the hell out of the icon of sin....pointless way to end in my opinion, still a great wad though.

EDIT: Oh yeah and freedoom really was bad....worse than the last level of TNT

OK random bump ;)

I actually enjoyed Action Doom. I enjoyed playing through it, though I did not play the UV setting. In the boss level, running from the arena-area to the helicopter was annoying as well as I could never get INTO the helicopter, I'd always hit some invisible wall and just fall into the sea. The wierd ending (you know: the alternative ending) was also very, wierd. I don't see how you can end that thing (and I assume that the enemy there is indestructible, as it has no death sprites???

Anyways back on topic! Scythe II was a mega mega dissapointment solely because it wasn't a megawad. I never really read the textfiles, just to see what port it may require and what level's the WAD encompasses... so when I reached level 28 and found it was just a box, I was like "oh no, you got to be fucking kidding me! I've just played one of the BEST Doom levels of my life and your telling me it ends HERE!?".

I never played Final Doom through. My interest fizzled out after a couple of levels.

The ending of Deus Vult was dissapointing but I'm not sure if that's relevant here.

printz said:

Doom2. Why is this thread split? Maybe it's Linguica's fault!

Thread split from threadid 39654 by Grazza on 07-29-07 22:36.

Split because otherwise there would be a spate of posts with people responding to comments from six months ago without realizing it.

BoldEnglishman said:

Anyways back on topic! Scythe II was a mega mega dissapointment solely because it wasn't a megawad.

A Doom 2 megawad is anything over 20 levels.

Anyways the most disappointing Doom project was Zombie Doom because the guy managed to lose all his work and quit >:|

Linguica said:

Anyways the most disappointing Doom project was Zombie Doom because the guy managed to lose all his work and quit >:|

Fucking AGREED! ...I do have an old beta lying around though.

Gratuitous link to mother thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/39654-most-disappointing-doom-wad-or-project-ever/

the iron hitman said:
the last level of Final Doom: TNT as it had one hell of a tough exit to find. i thought what a waste of time, why could i just blast the hell out of the icon of sin....pointless way to end in my opinion, still a great wad though.

Are you referring to the death traps at the beginning? The torches in the initial hall mark the way with their colors, so it's not really that cryptic.

Scuba Steve said:

...old beta lying around

DO WANT

Unless, of course, on the off chance the author's a tightarse and would pitch a fit if the beta got posted. >.>

Linguica said:

Thread split from threadid 39654 by Grazza on 07-29-07 22:36.

I stand corrected!

I think reu was pretty bad. it had a good concept, and it was fine but then i got to realizing how many bugs it had, and it was pretty hyped, and it wasnt a pretty mod at all. it turned out nothing like how i thought it was going to be. that and KDIZD was a big dissapointment in a different kinda way. it was a great wad, i love playing through it, almost every day, but it reminds me nothing of the original Doom. it stands good as its own mod but as a rewrite to the first game it didn't fare very well.

i read the other thread! Batman Doom was pretty awesome. It totally engulfed me in the atmosphere and made me believe I was playing something other than Doom.

Here's a quick question though: if you were to make a sequel to Batman Doom, or otherwise another batman mod, would you base it on Begins or Beyond? if they are going for a rewrite i think they should use beyond because it would be closer to the style of the first batman tc, but begins would be cool because it would be darker. what do you guys think?

btw ola' doomworld!

Perhaps I'm being overly concerned with semantics, but I really haven't ever been "disappointed" with a .WAD. Now, there are plenty that I don't like for various reasons, but to be disappointed implies that one (correctly or incorrectly) was expecting more than was delivered. Maybe I'm apathetic, but I rarely assume that genius is forthcoming.

I suppose, however, that if Ikka Karanen annouced a new megawad that turned out to be 32 levels of 1 sector joke levels, I would be very disappointed (probably to the point of homocidal rage).

Afterglow said:

A Doom 2 megawad is anything over 20 levels.

DoomWiki said:

A megawad is a fan-made PWAD that contains multiple levels, usually either an episode's worth of levels (approximately 8 or 9 levels) or a number of levels equivalent to an entire game (approximately 27, 30, or 32 levels).

I don't see anything about 20 levels :S -- but granted Scythe II is a megawad - my bad. But it's still a dissapointment when my favourite map theme gets cut off before it's even half way through the episode.

BoldEnglishman said:
I don't see anything about 20 levels :S

Encyclopedias collect information, and are credible when they cite sources, otherwise they may just as well be putting forth someone's opinion (which is the case in the above quote).

See here for a relevant historical source of what "megawad" means:

The 'megawads' directory contains files that contain a large scale replacement of 15 or more levels, but which don't qualify for the themes/ directory. DM-only megawads are in the 'deathmatch/megawads' directory.

While the term is not exclusive to the archive, it was idgames that made the term popular (by having a directories with that name, to store wads with many levels).

NixBood said:

DO WANT

It's not that special... it was just his dehacked patch and some new gfx. It really shows off some amazing dehacked work, too bad I don't have any levels.

myk said:

While the term is not exclusive to the archive, it was idgames that made the term popular (by having a directories with that name, to store wads with many levels).

Ok thanks, I did see that the Doom Wiki does consider Scythe II a megawad so I apologize :)

I'd like to know how are megawads worth if megawad means >1 meg worth of levels only.

Naan said:

Project X - I love the name, but the levels are just so lame...

You make Cybrdem cry

Lutz said:

homocidal rage

Freud calling.

reu:del. It was completely asset scavengry with no original work all 'copyrighted by 3dfx. you may not use our work and it is illegal to do so' etc by some autistic jerk who thinks he runs 3dfx and has the license to infringe.

the scary fact is that apparently he is still working on it and he still makes crappy unauthorized games with unauthorized trademark usage even on his 'company'. He apparently can't take a damn hint that no one wants his crap but his uninformed yesmen

leileilol said:

He apparently can't take a damn hint that no one wants his crap but his uninformed yesmen

The Yesmen are the people he pays to be his friends: "Sure man sure yeah it's a great wod or whatever, now where's my money?"

yes! thats where i saw it! good keeping out of the eyes.

aside from the crap that he posted about not using anything, i didnt really see anything wrong with what he did, but it was still dissapointing to play something that was unlike what they claimed it would be.

myk said:

Are you referring to the death traps at the beginning? The torches in the initial hall mark the way with their colors, so it's not really that cryptic. [/B]

No i mean when you think your going to battle the Icon Of Sin at the end and all there is is a huge amount of monsters and an almost unreachable exit. I didnt complete it until after 6 tries on UV :(

the iron hitman said:
No i mean when you think your going to battle the Icon Of Sin at the end and all there is is a huge amount of monsters and an almost unreachable exit.

Heh, how did you reach the DeathMatch exit? Did an Archvile blast you up there?

The way to finish the level is by killing the boss. While one also has to navigate the initial parts before the boss area, that last area is easier than DOOM II's level 30.

Linguica said:

Hmm...Never heard of that one.
But when I think about an answer to this question, I am immediately reminded of Twice Risen and Hellstorm.
Both of those projects ended up being utterly abandonned & unfinished, despite the fact that they had excellent websites to advertise themselves, and they had plenty of conceptual art and design plans laid out.

Twice Risen made me feel the most sad, because I almost got recruited as a mapper for it. (Well, back then I was only beginning to learn how to map and I had very poor taste in layouts, but Mike Niggel was generous enough to tutor me and eventually would've accepted me on his team....but then he made an announcement that he gave up on the project altogether.)
That was a tremendous disappointment.
So now, one of the maps which could've belonged to a finished Twice Risen megawad belongs instead to my Demon Abundance 3-level PWAD for JDOOM.

Also...DarkHaven's X-DOOM project from 2004 comes to mind. It was supposed to be a megawad for the Ultimate DOOM, intended for the ZDOOM port and based on Tom Hall's "Doom Bible".
Apparently, the project did get finished, but before DarkHaven could get a chance to let me beta-test it and to upload it to any FTPs...his laptop was borrowed by his cousin who ended up formatting the hard-drive.
So the only finished map which survived from that project is now known as my Meretricious Plunge WAD for ZDOOM.