Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Forward/back movement with mouse in Prboom-plus

I can disable the mouse look by turning the sensitivity for mouse look down to zero, but I still can't move forward by simply moving the mouse forward. I can still move forward by pressing 'forward', but in old doom you could move forward or backwards as well as turn around with the mouse.

Increase the vertical sensitivity for your mouse. In the PrBoom-plus (which is what I assume you meant by "boomplus") config file you can alter the value "mouse_sensitivity_vert" to whatever value you see fit, or alter it in-game (under "Options" and "Mouse Sensitivity").

I turned the vertical sensitivity way up but it's still not moving... I suspect because the mouse look is still on even though the mouse look sensitivity is turned way down to zero.

KennyJC said:

I suspect because the mouse look is still on even though the mouse look sensitivity is turned way down to zero.

Yes of course. You should disable mouse look from the in-game menu. Vertical sensitivity should not be zero if you want to move forward with mouse.

Just to clarify, in prboom-plus, you can set the sensitivity for mouse move and that for mouselook independently, but you can only use one of them at a time!

BTW, if you wish to use mouse move, I would suggest using some mouse acceleration (if you aren't already doing so) - play with this setting until you get something that suits the way you prefer to control the player.

And thread title amended.

I found the disable mouse look option buried in the 'Status bar/HUD' options. Hardly the place I would've expected to see it?

You're using an old version (2.4.3.1 or older). I recommend the current 2.4.8.2 test version (while it is called a test version, the nature of this port and its method of development mean that the latest test version is generally at least as stable, compatible and bugfree as earlier releases). You can get it here.

In case you have trouble finding its new location, it is in Options - General (5th page). Note that the document called "usage.txt" lists the additional options and where to find them.

I'm still having trouble with putting one foot in front of the other in the new version of prboom plus

You see, the right mouse button (mb3) is set by default to strafe, and when I try to set mb3 to 'forward' nothing happens... in fact nothing happens when you press any mouse button. And it doesn't appear that you can unbind strafe to free up the button to move forward.

The mouse button functions depend on settings for each function (unlike the keys which have a setting per key):

# Mouse settings
use_mouse                     1
mouse_sensitivity_horiz      18
mouse_sensitivity_vert        0
mouseb_fire                   0
mouseb_strafe                 2
mouseb_forward                1