Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

lets sort out moster strength/weapon damage ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!

I just read mr8's question on the beserk pack from a few days ago, which prompted everyone to come up with all kinds of guesses and stuff as to how much damage various weapons do/ monsters can take. A lot of people took their info from the Old Testament, aka Hank Leukerts Doom FAQ. Trouble is, New Testament believers have to question Hank's accuracy...

We all know that the SSG does way more than 14 hps of damage. How do we know this? At point blank it can kill a Baron (100 hps) in 5 blasts. So it must be at least 20. But I conjecture it does even more than that.... if, when I've killed the Baron in 5, sometimes things like humans will also be taken out if they stand behind it, so that means it MUST be more than 20. I think the answer is one ammo, i.e one bullet, can do variable amounts of damge I think within the +-50% region. Hell, how else could you explain that once I managed to kill a fresh Hell Knight in just two SSG blasts? Ha sanyone else experienced such weird discrepancies?

And as for berserk, ha, sometimes I have to punch a bloddy sarge three times before he gibs, other times I send a chainy across the room like i've just come up with a new kind of salsa... in one punch. PLUS, I'm sure you've all punched a caco out in two before now, a caco is 36 hps, which means the pucnh would have to be at least 18 each, but hey, that's all part of the fun, it means the difference between life an death;>

As far as I know, Doom was the first game to employ that kind of random, well luck with how much damage weapons can do. Did Wolfenstein or Spear of D have it? Someone fill me in...

I'm not 100%, without looking at the source, but I'm pretty damn sure that Wolfie did have it. My favourite trick of running up to a soldier and knifing them in the back (Ammo saving and fun, kiddies!) didn't always kill them in one.

Its not as if there's any point at all to guessing how much damage any given weapon can do. All the answers are directly available in the source code, and I can tell you authoritatively that *all* damage in DOOM, aside from telefrag damage, which is always 10k points, is randomized. Thus the "weird" stuff with sometimes killing things faster or slower.

i tried to get an avarage of weapon damage once by playing zdaemon and me and this guy would just take shots at each other and record how much dmg it did but it didnt turn out too good cuz everyone else in the game kept killing us.

Weapon Damage Table. I can see the idiots going "not true cuz last time i saw mah brother kill the cyberdemon with one ssg shot" already. That information is accurate. Your beliefs, movement speed, configuration, underwear color or idiocy does not affect the damage.

Hey, on a related note, does anybody else find that on the PSX version, damage seems to be increased when running forward? Or is this just me?

I'm talking mainly about the Rocket Launcher. I can understand why anything with a spray (Shotguns, BFG) would damage more when closer, but not the RL.

Maybe it's just a coincidence -and is actually the randomisation, but it seemed really consistent.

Just last night i was playing a map of mine with 2 revenants, and i managed to take 3 of their rockets and only lose 15-20 health. I was pacing around, and i'm positive that has something to do with the damage. It may take away the splash damage, but we all know a Revenant can take off around 80% with one rocket.

If you had actually read the FAQ (link posted by Waldon), you would have seen that the revenant fireball does 10-80 damage per hit (in increments by 10). And btw, there is no splash damage from rev fireballs.

Either look at the Doom source and EDGE/Dosdoom DDF files for the exact damage ranges of attacks. There's another factor though. I think difficulty effects how much damage a player takes. Compare I'm too young to die to Nightmare.

40 hitpoints for caco, not 38. I remember reading somewhere the way the randomness for damage was done, it could only vary a small bit from the advertised amount of damamge. 20 bullets is never going to do more than 22 or 23 or less than 17 or 18 (those are not the actual figures, just to make my point)

I've never killed a hell knight in two blasts from SSG. That would mean each SSG blast is doing 25 damage, when it's proportedly shelling out 20 bullets. That's quite an increase. Anyone got thoughts on whether this is possible? How sure are you it was fresh and hadn't been batted on by a fellow hell spawn?

I've got LOTR feaver. Never been fanatic about a movie before. 97% fresh reviews at www.rottentomatoes.com

I'm not so interested in knowing the specific damage in points, I just "get a feel for the weapons".
To me the damage points are just a bunch o' numbers that give a vague idea of the damage that weapons inflict upon enemies.

Not this again.

Just read the faqs on Ledmeister's page, to get the hit points per weapon, and per monster.

And if you hit an enemy directly, and up close, it'll do much more damage than if you blast it from far away.

That's not to say the Doom engine is perfect. Sometimes if you hit an enemy head on it won't always do full damage.

Nuff said.

I don't care how much damage each weapon does, just as long as it kills the fucking monster!

I differ. The amount of damage done by a weapon in a game is essential in one's playing strategy. Would you rather kill a single zombieman with the BFG or spare 40 cells for a spray of plasma or a cybie?

I differ. The amount of damage done by a weapon in a game is essential in one's playing strategy. Would you rather kill a single zombieman with the BFG or spare 40 cells for a spray of plasma or a cybie?

Ummmm, that's not what I meant. I mean, it's common sense not to use a BFG blast just to kill one zombie. What I was talking about was how people are making such a big fucking deal out of it. WHY????? It's just a fucking game!!!!!!

/me spontaneously combusts

Oh of course! I should've thought.

/me laughs at the pile of bones Crendowing left :รพ

Ummmm, that's not what I meant. I mean, it's common sense not to use a BFG blast just to kill one zombie. What I was talking about was how people are making such a big fucking deal out of it. WHY????? It's just a fucking game!!!!!!

/me spontaneously combusts

Excactly my point, I don't need no stupid numbers to tell me how much damage I can dish out with weapon x, I just try it out myself and observe.

Practical usage, kids, theory isn't worth shit!

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

but I'm pretty damn sure that Wolfie did have it. My favourite trick of running up to a soldier and knifing them in the back (Ammo saving and fun, kiddies!) didn't always kill them in one.

I have the full version of Wolf 3D on my ol' 486 from '94. Works like a dream. And yes, I did knife a few unsuspecting gurads in the back to take em down, and yes, it sometimes took more than one hit.... There was this neat (and mean) lil trick level designers did sometimes... they'd stand this one guard, next to a ton of doors, facing forward. you think, being all alone 'Piece of cake.' *blam blam bl--* By that third shot, you're dead, because your first gunshot woke up half of the Nazi army that was waiting behind the doors! D'oh! Thank goodness for the gatling gun, the loudest gun in FPS history (thats what I think anyway).
*bappapapapappapapapp!*
TAKE THAT, LUT, YOU LIL' BIT--...
I mean... TAKE THAT HITLER, YOU LIL' BI**H!
(pardon my ASCII)

I have the full version of Wolf 3D on my ol' 486 from '94. Works like a dream. And yes, I did knife a few unsuspecting gurads in the back to take em down, and yes, it sometimes took more than one hit.... There was this neat (and mean) lil trick level designers did sometimes... they'd stand this one guard, next to a ton of doors, facing forward. you think, being all alone 'Piece of cake.' *blam blam bl--* By that third shot, you're dead, because your first gunshot woke up half of the Nazi army that was waiting behind the doors! D'oh! Thank goodness for the gatling gun, the loudest gun in FPS history (thats what I think anyway).

- You get too much ammo in that game (and in most other FPS's), I always desperately try to spend as much ammo as possible so as to empty the whole level of ammo magazines, but there are always PLENTY of 'em. I do, however, use the knife once in a while.

- The "trick" described above was one I got used to extremely quickly (rarely got killed because of it, because I rarely used the knife when the game was new).