Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

If you have a xbox 360 controller and a copy of Doom you know what to do

I was tired of using the keyboard to play so i though it might be a good
idea to plug my 360 controller and see if that would play well, and did it? Playing Doom and Doom2 with the controller proved to be the most greatest thing that i had felt since i first started playing Doom. Why am i creating a hole thread about this? Just so that i can tell people what they are most probably missing. Sitting in a great big soft sofa like chair with a pillow behind your back and a controller in your hand
and of course....with Doom on the screen in front of you really gives a great console feeling and i know that people that liked PSX Doom should (if they have a xbox 360 controller) fall in love with this.

The 360 controller handles Doom gameplay controls great, so great that
it sometimes even beats the mouse and the keyboard. It makes the detail in the levels feel less important somehow, putting all of the focus into gameplay. So if you feel Doom is getting a little tired, or you just want to know how Console Doom feels like, than plug that controller into
your USB socket play some Doom YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Tomorow i will upload a gameplay video of E1M1 just so that people can see how great the controller handles but it is late now, good night.

I used to be a pure keyboarder in Doom up to 3 years ago (imagine, I finished Absolution and Hell Revealed with the keyboard on UV, including Heretic-style up&down view controls!) but that was more of a personal paradox, since I played more modern FPS with the usual ASWD keys and mouse by then. I eventually switched to that control config for Doom too. Really, I don't know what prevented me from changing (maybe just the habit).

But...a gamepad? I had tried playing Doom 2 with a Gravis Gamepad back in the day, and...well...it was even worse than the keyboard. Also, while it's surely possible to complete console versions of Doom, there is no way you can play modern maps with 100s of monsters or violent deathmatch games with a gamepad, you just can't turn/look fast enough and you'll be at a disadvantage.

I haven't seen anything better than the usual mouse + keyboard combination for playing an FPS game. I could imagine virtual reality enquipment, but that isn't very common in the average households today. But if you like that controller, well I suppose it is more of a challenge that way, have fun :P

CodeImp said:

I haven't seen anything better than the usual mouse + keyboard combination for playing an FPS game. I could imagine virtual reality enquipment, but that isn't very common in the average households today. But if you like that controller, well I suppose it is more of a challenge that way, have fun :P

It may not be better, it is not bad at all ether. I am playing hell revealed on UV with the controller and it is a walk in the park. You need to take it into account that the 360 controller has 2 analog pins to move and aim. And while playing a deathmach game would be way to hard. It is no problem for single player. Just wait for the gameplay video and you will see that killing hundreds of demons with a controller can and will be done!

I prefer the mouselook/keyboard combo the best, but i would like to see how well it handles with an xbox 360 controller.

I imagine it would work like the Doom3 port (xbox1) and the live arcade version, which is pretty good but i'd take the KB+M anyday.
I tried the 360 Xplorer guitar and all i could do was turn and shoot (im thinking i never tried to adjust from the defaults though lol)

I don't own any consoles and rarely play console games. Whenever I play with my best mate on Halo 2, he always kicks my ass. I find the two analog pin-thingies very hard to get used to, and the buttons are all over the place. I find it easier that a keyboard has just 1 "face" of keys, instead of them being all over the place. When me and my friend play Doom on the other hand, then I have a MASSIVE advantage.

So Keyboard + Mouse suit me just fine :). Sounds interesting though

Well console controls ain't for evryone.

Here is the gameplay video. As you can see it plays very well with the controller. It does not beat the mouse and keyboard but still plays very
well and you CAN beat the game on UV with it with ease if you are use to
console shooters.

Sorry for the fact that the video has no sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8j4XjIo7s

It just plays like a decent keyboard game. Turns are typical of keyboard games, unless you can set up the analog sticks to be rapid turning/freelooking.

Maes said:

It just plays like a decent keyboard game. Turns are typical of keyboard games, unless you can set up the analog sticks to be rapid turning/freelooking.

When you say free looking do you mean running and turning at the same time or looking up and down? I can the the first one but not the seckond
one with the controller.

The second. Turning while running is perfectly possible with the keyboard (actually, it's essential if you want to play anything from HMP and upwards.

In retrospect, I find the amount of conditioning I went through amazing: I played with the keyboard for almost 10 years, and learnt to keep a finger on the left shift key while firing and strafing while running and turning came natural, but especially turning cannot be made any faster than it is.

That joypad video had the typical "stiffness" of a keyboard game, perhaps less agile than what an experienced keyboarder can achieve. The only way the joypad would be better than the keyboard would be if turning could be done through very sensitive proportional analog controls, and faster than the keyboard, plus a second controller for looking around freely.

I played Heretic and Absolution with the usual Doom keyboard config, plus some PGUP/PGDOWN/HOME/END bindings for looking up/down/centering view.

I've tried controllers with FPS games, and I haven't been particularly pleased. If you aim in other than sweeping motions you're more or less fucked. Keyboard and mouse are ideal at the moment, unless they come up with something better.

And learn how to spell the word whole for Christ's sake.

Maes said:

plus a second controller for looking around freely.

There are 2 analog pins on the controller i used. one for running up and
down and strifing and one for aiming.

What's the point of playing Doom in a big comfy chair/couch? You'll just fall asleep or yearn to press pause and take a sip of scotch.

GGG said:

What's the point of playing Doom in a big comfy chair/couch? You'll just fall asleep or yearn to press pause and take a sip of scotch.

And how is that bad? I for one love eating and drinking when playing console games. The reason i don't do it when playing pc games is the fear of poring my drink all over the keyboard.

hardcore_gamer said:

And how is that bad? I for one love eating and drinking when playing console games. The reason i don't do it when playing pc games is the fear of poring my drink all over the keyboard.

There's a man who knows what he really wants. Drinking and eating while playing console games! Bravo !

BTW, this must be the 1337est XBOX 360 Doom player :-)

He is so 1337 and hardcore that he completes E1M1 with 100% kills, items and secrets on HMP (or was that HNTR?) !!! And all of that on the XBOX 360 with a joystick and in under 4 minutes!!! EXTREEEME!!11!!

Furthermore, the same guy can finish E1M1 in NIGHTMARE mode on the XBOX 360, in just under 1 minute, more or less!!

This is truly hardcore stuff, don't watch if you're a little baby-baby.

Well, I think theres a disadvantage towards my end if I use ANY controller for the comp to play Doom, I'll list:

1. Freelooking for Railgun shots, cause with out it,I can't really kill airborne monsters with out risking lots of ammo.
2. Slower Movement, it's much of a drag when trying to strafe out of enemy fire with out holding something thats on the opposite end of the controller, and another worse thing is when turning around there may be a too fast turn or too slow so I can't get a good aim.

hardcore_gamer said:

Well console controls ain't for evryone.

Here is the gameplay video. As you can see it plays very well with the controller. It does not beat the mouse and keyboard but still plays very
well and you CAN beat the game on UV with it with ease if you are use to
console shooters.

Sorry for the fact that the video has no sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8j4XjIo7s

I can tell from that movie that the controller has analog turning, the player does not always turn at the same speeds. It is definitely nicer than keyboard. (still though, nothing beats the mouse+keyboard combo :P)

I don't have a functional keypad; even if I had something would still need some changes, because I stay next to a wall.

I don't get why everyone here except hardcore_gamer prefers playing Doom with the help of a mouse. I don't think that back in '93/'94 the WASD and mouseforstrafing style was known for Doom. At the time, I'm sure the mouse was meant to move the player normally or by strafe. For Wolfenstein, Doom and clones I only use a keyboard. For Quake I still use a keyboard but it's an exception, because all other 3d games (exceptions still are) are played by me normally, wasd mouse.

Also, the keyboard turning speed does NOT weaken the player SIGNIFICANTLY. Might only hurt in DM mode, where you need superior reflexes, but I'm quite used to SP keyboarding. I even have to hide more because I can't turn instantly or strafe everywhere, and that means extra excitement. I don't see why hardcore_gamer would fail with that gamepad...

Shall I guess Maes is Velktron?

printz said:

Shall I guess Maes is Velktron?

Maybe. Or maybe Velktron is my cousin :-)

Maes said:

He is so 1337 and hardcore that he completes E1M1 with 100% kills, items and secrets on HMP (or was that HNTR?) !!! And all of that on the XBOX 360 with a joystick and in under 4 minutes!!! EXTREEEME!!11!!

Furthermore, the same guy can finish E1M1 in NIGHTMARE mode on the XBOX 360, in just under 1 minute, more or less!!

Velktron knew the nickname hardcore_gamer when he commented his video, and his writing style matches the one above, so Maes, you're him.

EDIT: Just in case I change my sig, here's what it looked like when Maes/Velktron replied:
Cyberdemons sound like camels, too. Some pitching required to hear it.
That's because Cyberdemons have Real Ultimate Power, that's why they pwn your'ss to high heavens.
^LOL^

I can't do anything but bow to your mad investigation skillz. And I also like your new sig. It's totally sweet and awesome.

I exclusively play with a gamepad these days. I type all day, and there's no way I'm gonna keep sitting like that when I'm off the clock.

It may not be as good as a mouse and keyboard, but with analog sticks (as opposed to just a directional pad) it's nowhere near as clunky as keyboard alone either.

As for there being "no way" one can play modern or hard maps, I did Kdizd on UV with no problem. And A Warm Place on UV, of course. Last week I played through Cyberdreams. In fact, the only map I ever did find too hard to finish was nuts (just in case, that was a joke).

As for deathmatch, it's just a stupid idea to even try against remotely serious K+M players, I'd think.

I the next couple of days I'll be playing Doom with my mind instead of a controller. I'll connect my computer directly to my frontal lobe.
I just need more duck tape and aluminum foil, a scapel, a bottle of scotch and some spongebob band aids.

I gotta tell ya, if they get that mind control deal out on time, I might be tempted to start playing games again... what I'm really waiting for though is holograms like in Star Trek, so I can program any sexy-as-fuck models or actresses and nail em.