Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OrinCreed

Doom 2 Demons - 3D W.I.P

Hello all. I got back into a Doom kick a few weeks back and decided to get some modeling practice in. I tried to get some feed back on what I had done so far in other forums but I haven’t had much luck. Being Doom fans I’m sure you will have something to say about these.
What I have been doing is remaking the monsters from Doom 1 and 2. They don’t have any textures yet because I want to focus on my modeling practice and crank them all out before texturing them. You will notice they are not exact recreations of the original monsters. I did this so that I would be making my own art rather than copying someone else’s 100%. I did however try to stay true to the style and feel of the originals, that bad ass comic book feeling. I really don’t know if I have captured that but I am happy with what I have done so far.
Take a look and tell me what you think.

EDIT:

OK I think I'm done with the mesh. sucker is 5710 poly. Thats a little higher than I wanted but not bad. I decided not to give him an ammo pack and just leave the mystery behind how he keeps firing those damn rockets. The only thing I don't feel to good about are the launchers. I fail at making such things.

Completed Meshes:

I think the arms need to be longer. I'll have to do a test rig.

Larger more intimidating eye and shark jaws

Bottom jaw splits down the middle so it can swing open and let lost souls out.

Not much to say about this one.

Working on Revenant right now. I don't have a lot of free time so it's going slowly.

Awesome stuff overall; looking forward to seeing 'em textured. My thoughts:

Pinky: Well, one could say the arms are too long, but if you had him walk like a gorilla, on his knuckles, I think it would look cool. I’d made his head bigger tho’.

Caco: Cool design, looks more ‘true’ to the D&D Beholder than Id’s Caco.

Pain Elemental: I like the idea for the swinging open jaws. The design is nice, but a bit too elongated in my opinion. I get the feeling he’s had a long, weary day.

Lost Soul: Excellent re-design, I really dig the ram horns.

Thanks for the feed back on these. It's always nice to hear what people think about your work.

MmM said:

Awesome stuff overall; looking forward to seeing 'em textured. My thoughts:

Pinky: Well, one could say the arms are too long, but if you had him walk like a gorilla, on his knuckles, I think it would look cool. I’d made his head bigger tho’.

Using its arms like a gorilla is exactly what I had in mind. The original was so top heavy I couldn't imagine how it stayed upright. So I decided it needed huge powerful arms to support its frame. Lately I have been thinking it may walk on its hands with the palm on the floor instead of on its knuckles. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but I tossed in a little "Terror Dog" when making the design. As for the head I attempted to make it larger when I began modeling, but it looked kind of goofy.

Caco: Cool design, looks more ‘true’ to the D&D Beholder than Id’s Caco.

Thanks. I drew more heavily from traditional beholder art when making this than I did from the Cacodemons original design. I'm glad that came across well in the model.

Pain Elemental: I like the idea for the swinging open jaws. The design is nice, but a bit too elongated in my opinion. I get the feeling he’s had a long, weary day.

I agree that it’s a bit on the long side. That (and the idea for the swinging jaw) was a side effect of making the mouth large enough to allow lost souls to squeeze out. I think the teeth may be a little long as well but I will look into that later. When I'm done with this one I plan to have a swirling vortex of lava and smoke at the back of its mouth.

Lost Soul: Excellent re-design, I really dig the ram horns.

This one was kind of hard to rework as there is only so much you can do with a flaming skull.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm glad you like them so far.

Nice models, it's cool how you altered them a bit differently but they still have a doomish look. Very good looking models, I bet they will look sweet once textured. Very nice job.

MmM said:

They, like the Lost Souls, belong in the "anguish" category, so looking weary is expected.

I hope these models are introduced in a Doom TC for another game.

Inferno said:

Nice models, it's cool how you altered them a bit differently but they still have a doomish look. Very good looking models, I bet they will look sweet once textured. Very nice job.

Thanks. Glad to hear they still carry the Doom vibe with them.

printz said:

They, like the Lost Souls, belong in the "anguish" category, so looking weary is expected.

I hope these models are introduced in a Doom TC for another game.

You know I was thinking about doing a TC with them once I was done but I wasn't sure what game to use. My friends keep sugesting I use half life two because it seems more oriented to action gameplay. The whole project started because I wanted a new Doom that felt like 1 and 2. Doom 3 was awesome but I missed the feel and look of the first two. So I started sketching the monsters with new twists to them and coming up with ideas for a mod. I was thinking it would be cool to o a DT that start with Ultimate doom and runs straight through to the end of Doom 2. Though that would probably be a bit to big for a mod team to tackle. Either way I’m going to model all the monsters even if a mod never happens.

These are amazing. Really amazing. :-)

I was also thinking of a doom Tc for HL2. or better yet a Doom 2 tc for HL2. just imagine hell on earth with levels that actually resemble earth.

the first one looks like a pinky demon meets a fiend cross over

the cacodemon I'm not too fond of but I like the other one with arms. plus he looks meaner.

the skull with ram horns looks great but it's missing something. maybe it's just the details?

I would like to see a spidermastermind!

Shapeless said:

I was also thinking of a doom Tc for HL2. or better yet a Doom 2 tc for HL2. just imagine hell on earth with levels that actually resemble earth.

the first one looks like a pinky demon meets a fiend cross over

the cacodemon I'm not too fond of but I like the other one with arms. plus he looks meaner.

the skull with ram horns looks great but it's missing something. maybe it's just the details?

I would like to see a spidermastermind!

That’s the reason my friend and I had thought of using HL2. I'd still like to make a TC that covers Doom 1 to 2 but I'm just going to focus on the models first. I've been trying to make the Revenant but work has been a pain and I haven't had a lot of free time.

I think the Lost soul will feel more complete once the texture and effects are added. It's not a Lost soul until its engulfed in flames.

Love is more the word I would use! I really do love these four renders. Maybe the person feels the Lost Soul is missing something... because it doesn't have a flame around it :-)

OrinCreed said:

You know I was thinking about doing a TC with them once I was done but I wasn't sure what game to use. My friends keep sugesting I use half life two because it seems more oriented to action gameplay. The whole project started because I wanted a new Doom that felt like 1 and 2. Doom 3 was awesome but I missed the feel and look of the first two. So I started sketching the monsters with new twists to them and coming up with ideas for a mod. I was thinking it would be cool to o a DT that start with Ultimate doom and runs straight through to the end of Doom 2. Though that would probably be a bit to big for a mod team to tackle. Either way I’m going to model all the monsters even if a mod never happens.

okay. gzdoom supports models, right?

graf? where are you damnit!

EDIT: oops. to get back on topic, they do look very nice, and i would much lke to see further development. quake models wouldn't be a bad idea at all...

Janitor said:

okay. gzdoom supports models, right?

graf? where are you damnit!

EDIT: oops. to get back on topic, they do look very nice, and i would much lke to see further development. quake models wouldn't be a bad idea at all...

I love [and still play] the original Doom games, but to be honest I'd rather mod a more recent game like HL2 than polish the old Doom engine. For what I would have in mind it would be far more difficult to build off one of these Doom source engines. Also I'd want to use something more recent for portfolio reasons.

Could be fun cranking out some Quake baddies, but I need to scrape together enough time to finish my Doom models first.

OrinCreed said:

ld be fun cranking out some Quake baddies, but I need to scrape together enough time to finish my Doom models first.

actually this has been done for a quake to doom 3 conversion project, so my bad. like i said, looks good. my only gripe is that my current PC cannot handle games such as Doom 3 and HL:2 ... sigh ...

The Revenant model looks good so far. I'm wondering, what kind of look are you going for with the limbs, Doom 2, Doom 3, or something else? The legs/spine are too thick if you're going for just bones IMO.

MmM said:

The Revenant model looks good so far. I'm wondering, what kind of look are you going for with the limbs, Doom 2, Doom 3, or something else? The legs/spine are too thick if you're going for just bones IMO.

I was going for a look similar to that of Doom 2. But since I'm putting my own spin on everything it will have decaying muscle stretched over bone as well as exposed bones with no meat on them. The spinal area is going to have bloody muscle clinging to it which is why it is thick. I was also toying with the idea of texturing some exposed intestine on the belly. So I'm not going for bare skeleton as much as I am making a skeleton with rotted flesh clinging to its bones. If you have ever seen the physical model they created for the game it had a similar appearance only slightly thinner.

For the armor I was thinking medieval chest plate with modern rocket launchers mounted to it.
thiner.

Yup, I've seen the original sculpted Id model, which is a great look to try to emulate. It'll be interesting to see what your rendition looks like once you've got it fleshed out (pun intended); it certainly sounds cool.

I like the midieval armor idea, if not just a chest plate on bones with shoulder pads that have the rockets. I was wondering... where do the rocket's come from? With the Cyberdemon, with the Doom 3 look, the rockets come from something in it's back.

I was also thinking with Mancubus, notice how the twin arm cannons have tubes / hose extending from the cannon to behind? I think I know where those tubes come from. Yeah, when something that fat eats, it comes out in scented form through the tubes, out the cannons.

Just pondering about the Mancubus, they are slow, short stubby legs, no hands to eat, so tenticles on the face is a good idea. Like Dr. Zoidberg from Futurama.

Sorry for the quick double post, but maybe more frightening wouldn't be to have a skull head, but have some skin on that head. Like have half a face or quarter of a human face still on there. Skull mouth / jaw, skull nose, with human cheeks, forehead, hair, but with dead hollow eyes. That is more disturbing than a skeleton :-)

Just a thought.

geo said:

Sorry for the quick double post, but maybe more frightening wouldn't be to have a skull head, but have some skin on that head. Like have half a face or quarter of a human face still on there. Skull mouth / jaw, skull nose, with human cheeks, forehead, hair, but with dead hollow eyes. That is more disturbing than a skeleton :-)

Just a thought.

I think that would put it to far into the category of zombie. While I have been adding my own twists to the designs I also want to stay true to them. I do want it to have some rot and muscle clinging to the body, but I don't want to deviate to far from the original idea of the reanimated skeleton.

I could always use those ideas for former humans though.

Edit: Also in your other post you wondered where Revenant rockets come from. I was thinking of adding some kind of ammo pack to the back of the armor that would feed compact rockets into the shoulder mounted launchers. Of course this still doesn't explain the unlimited ammo, but that should be the last question on any ones mind when confronting a armored skeleton.

I like these a lot.

the lost soul is a great look. I could picture that aflame and speeding around. the foward pointing goat horns are great

I think the caco needs to have a meaner looking eye. it looks more suprised than intimidating, but the rest of it is nice.

the PE is a great look as well, and I like the concept of the lower jaw splitting open. I think the teeth are a bit long and thin. they look a little fragile.

I like the gorilla-like pinkie. the longer arms make a lot of sense. I could see it more using the knuckles like a gorilla than the flat handed running. I think that would look quite awkward. lets see some teeth on that thing.

the revenant is shaping up great. I like the ideas you've put out there for the look. rotting flesh and bone, medieval armour, and tech weapons make a nice mix.

keep up the work. can't wait to see them textured and animated.

I like the concept of the armor with modern rocket attachments. as for the muscle over bone. that is one idea people have done. but the actual model used for the game seems to have some sort of demonic growth taking over it, like red vines or that shit that was taking over the bases in D3. what the rev model has does not resemble muscle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Nataniel/12524880-L-1.jpg

muscle surrounding the spine is more like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Nataniel/10836293.jpg
but that is one layer and the human body is quite complex.

either way I like what you've got done. An whatever you do should look good. I also realize it's a WIP so you should be thining out the parts with exposed bone.

VileSlay said:

I like these a lot.

the lost soul is a great look. I could picture that aflame and speeding around. the foward pointing goat horns are great

I think the caco needs to have a meaner looking eye. it looks more suprised than intimidating, but the rest of it is nice.

the PE is a great look as well, and I like the concept of the lower jaw splitting open. I think the teeth are a bit long and thin. they look a little fragile.

I like the gorilla-like pinkie. the longer arms make a lot of sense. I could see it more using the knuckles like a gorilla than the flat handed running. I think that would look quite awkward. lets see some teeth on that thing.

the revenant is shaping up great. I like the ideas you've put out there for the look. rotting flesh and bone, medieval armour, and tech weapons make a nice mix.

keep up the work. can't wait to see them textured and animated.

Hey thanks for all the feed back on these. The thing I had in mind for the cacodemons eye was to have this wide ever-watching penetrating stare (like a psychotic 1000 yard stare). I think it might be more effective once the eye has been texture.

I was thinking the PE teeth were a bit long myself so I might shorten those a bit. They will probably stay thin though. I liked the idea if needle like teeth digging into whatever SOB got into arms reach.

After looking over the pinky and toying with its arms I agree that walking on it's knuckles will look much better. That will also save me from having to adjust the arms length. As for teeth it has a set of choppers installed, you just can't see em cause the mouth is closed.

So far the Revenant has been going really slowly. I found reference of armor on the net and I finished modeling it. It looks good but without any texture it almost looks like SWAT gear. I'm sure that it will look fine when the texture is on there though. Should have an update pic soon.

Shapeless said:

I like the concept of the armor with modern rocket attachments. as for the muscle over bone. that is one idea people have done. but the actual model used for the game seems to have some sort of demonic growth taking over it, like red vines or that shit that was taking over the bases in D3. what the rev model has does not resemble muscle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Nataniel/12524880-L-1.jpg

muscle surrounding the spine is more like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Nataniel/10836293.jpg
but that is one layer and the human body is quite complex.

either way I like what you've got done. An whatever you do should look good. I also realize it's a WIP so you should be thining out the parts with exposed bone.

That model is one of the pics I have been using for inspiration. I like the way the muscle like tissue creeps over its body. I don't know if I will try to go in that direction with the texture or not. I've been trying to keep the anatomy as true as possible but I suffer from a poor study. I have been posting in a 3D W.I.P forum though and I've gotten a lot of helpful feedback on its form.

Look great!

This may be stupid to ask, but couldn't these be used in Freedoom if converted to sprites? While inspired they aren't clones of the originals. Also some of them could be great addition as extra monsters in normal DOOM.

And in case you think sprites based on models look like crap, just look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhzXko-_yk