Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MONKET

Player Starts Out with Nothing?

Hi, I'm making a little horror .wad in my spare time, and I was wondering how I could make the player start out with nothing instead of pistol and fists. I have XWE, but I don't know the command, much help is needed

If it would help, my port is zDoom

You could create a DeHacked lump in your XWE and put it in your wad. If you dont know much about using DeHacked, there is a very nice program called WhackEd that does it for you. You need a pretty good understanding of the doom structure before you go messing around with it though. Anyways, what you do is replace all the pistol sprites with a plain cyan background.(since the pistol is the default starting weapon) This will get rid of the pistol sprites entirely. Then you change the action of each frame to do nothing. So, when you get in game, there will be no pistol sprite on the screen and when you press the fire button, it will do absolutely nothing. Then you can replace the hand/punch frames the same way.

Then later you can create all the additional weapons you want using DECORATE.

This is probably not the easiest way to do this, but I did this method once and it worked great for me.

Good luck!

Corrupted Marine said:

Then later you can create all the additional weapons you want using DECORATE.

About wich port are we talking anyways? If we have DECORATE support, we certainly don't need DEHACKED. In ZDoom, just put some TakeInventory in an open script and you're done.
If you intend to let the player pick up a pistol at some point, you have to define an appropriate thing.

If you don't mind having the pistol but mind having the ammo there's an easy, straightforward and bugfree method in vanilla Dehacked where you can set the initial ammo to 0 and the initial health to whatever you wish. Note that it won't be the max medikit health. That's fixed to 100%.

Artica3.wad spares the player of all bullets and most health at startup using vanilla Dehacked techniques. There's a DEHACKED lump in the wad.

LogicDeLuxe said:

About wich port are we talking anyways? If we have DECORATE support, we certainly don't need DEHACKED. In ZDoom, just put some TakeInventory in an open script and you're done.
If you intend to let the player pick up a pistol at some point, you have to define an appropriate thing.

Might I ask where to use an open command?

Also, thanks printz for the info, it might come in handy some day

MONKET said:

Might I ask where to use an open command?

Also, thanks printz for the info, it might come in handy some day

Actually this would be more fitting for an ENTER script than an OPEN one. I haven't actually tested this script ingame, but I'm pretty sure it's correct:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 ENTER
{
    ClearInventory();
}

I think Strain or something starts off with you having no bullets via DeHacked, but that does not work in most ports for some odd reason.

Thanks all, I've made the player start out with nothing using WhackEd, but I will remember all of the DECORATE commands since I am learning it.