Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Testers come forth

Well I finally got round to finishing this wad off which I started over a year ago!

Still a few touch ups needed in places so it's not 'done' yet. I've played through it a few times and found it difficult. Ammo and health is pretty tight and I died a few times, but it is possible... but for people playing it for the first time?

Some things I'm particularly interesting in hearing opinions about :

Light levels... what with different ports and GL and non-GL the brightness can seem different.

Balance.... Is it too hard? More ammo/health needed?

Secrets.... Not particularly happy with the secrets, so I'd like to hear ideas for how to improve them (if you find them that is :)

Also general thoughts on how it looks and monster placement. I only spent an hour on putting in the monsters/items/things, so it may not be perfect.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/47e24937-fc17-4c90-aadc-a7619199af27/untitled6

For someone I haven't seen on D.W before, I must say that is pretty good, your giving me ideas on what I should map if I ever go to the 'Hell map' stages.

The version I downloaded has no items, and 10 monsters. No secrets either. Did you upload the wrong version?

I think the map looks pretty good, but can't really say how it's going to play at this moment in time.

It looks really pretty. You must have spent some time making this.
I couldnt find a way out of the nukage in the main room. It is perhaps a little bit too easy to fall in.

The level is hard on “hurt me plenty”, but looks good. For example: the third big area with those mancubuses. You have to be very fast to fight the enemies (I died often there), but I would not change anything.

This level reminds me of “99 ways to die”, well done!

Only if there was more shotgun ammo and health i would be happy. Other that that looks good. You should relax a bit on the monsters on the big cage in that large room where the blue and the yellow doors are.

KennyJC said:
Light levels... what with different ports and GL and non-GL the brightness can seem different.

It looks good to me, but if you decrease it, just make sure you can give a point of reference so that players with darker monitors can up gamma if necessary before they play.

Balance.... Is it too hard? More ammo/health needed?

The parts that I played seemed okay (but I didn't navigate the whole map; see below).

Secrets.... Not particularly happy with the secrets, so I'd like to hear ideas for how to improve them (if you find them that is :)

Well, there are two Chainsaws, that seems pretty pointless. Maybe you could put something else instead in that first secret.

Also general thoughts on how it looks and monster placement. I only spent an hour on putting in the monsters/items/things, so it may not be perfect.

Nice use of the green marble theme, and I like the "detailing" scale.

I found a couple of problems:

• If you jump down into the brown water at the beginning you just stay down there. Either make a tunnel that goes back up to the start, or make it deadly (or both).
  • The switch after the yellow door doesn't work (though I could continue to the Archvile's area because the keys aren't set yet), and neither does the one opening the exit. I haven't checked, but you either forgot some tag or else are using Boom lines.

The switch after the yellow door doesn't work (though I could continue to the Archvile's area because the keys aren't set yet), and neither does the one opening the exit. I haven't checked, but you either forgot some tag or else are using Boom lines.

That's strange... Works on my prboom, but I want it to work on vanilla doom as well. Any idea how to fix it?

Just figured it out.. Doombuilder was using the boom configuration and I changed it to Doom2 and changed the 'unknown' triggers back to something that Doom2 could handle.

I uploaded the new version and changed the link on the opening post.

Tested newest version you uploaded:

1)The brown sludge at the beginning still does not kill you, nor is there a way out.

2)You still have 2 chainsaws (you just moved one out of the secret area).

3)The invulnerability secret is now impossible to get to, as the floor that used to reveal the imps does not lower anymore. This is going to require you to either get rid of the imp dens and secret all together, or redesign the room (I'd suggest the latter).

Nuxius said:

Tested newest version you uploaded:

1)The brown sludge at the beginning still does not kill you, nor is there a way out.

I've just added a staircase... Not that I consider that important. Players should not be jumping into rivers when there is no invitation to do so ;)

3)The invulnerability secret is now impossible to get to, as the floor that used to reveal the imps does not lower anymore. This is going to require you to either get rid of the imp dens and secret all together, or redesign the room (I'd suggest the latter). [/B]

Yes I just noticed that. It lowers the door to reach the main room, but does not lower the floor in the same room.

edit: why do I have 'post hell', flames and some annoying song after I posted this? :o

Things I've noticed ...

1) The invulnerablility sector is easily fixed by giving linedef the type\action 60 - SR floor lower to lowest floor, and give sector 86 sector effect 9 - secret.

2) It might be a good idea also to change linedef 1698 tag to 10 and tag sector 199 tag 10.

3) You need to "flip" line 2040 or the player will be trapped if the door closes and the player is in sector 279.

4) Unless jumping is allowed the sector effect 9 at sector 239 should be moved to sector 279.

5) Sector lighting at sectors 117\118 etc should be at least the same as sectors 113 and 114 - lava lighting - or even lowered.

6) Backside of lines 753, 778, 747, 704 and 748 need X alignment.

7) Since skulls are collected how about using dooryel2 and doorblu2 at the doors that require these keys ?

An enjoyable wad to play ................ :)

that gamers.org is a complete joke. Been trying to upload this wad for 2 days now. Even woke up at 5:30am to upload it since I thought it wouldn't be busy (it was).

Is this the only place to upload it to?

If you want it to be played, gamers.org is the best choice. It's never taken me more than an hour to be able to get in.

It's odd how it's behaving... I'll email Ty Halderman to see if there might be some technical issue currently.

The issue has been resolved. Here's his reply:

Looks like someone's been using a download manager and opening up as many connections as he (or she?) could. Why anyone was using the main site for that instead of a mirror I can't imagine.

It's now been set to 1 max connection per ip, so that should free things up. If you want to mention that's what happened on a forum or three, I bet it wouldn't hurt...

=-Ty

It also means that if anyone wants to mass-suck files from the archive, they should do it from a mirror, due to the new limit on the main server.

Yeah I've been e-mailing him about it too, I knew it was a little fishy not being able to connect at all for multiple days. :P I'm glad it's fixed, I can finally upload my damn file, heh.