Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

id's New Four Letter Word

...is "Rage", it seems. I don't know if they have something against polysyllabic words. Anyways, here's the (deboned) press release:

The creator of classic computer game "Doom," id Software, unveiled on Friday its eagerly anticipated next game, "Rage," in which players fight an oppressive government in a post-apocalyptic world.

The new game will be released for Windows or OS X, as well asXbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"It's a bit of a classic story and you are the outsider who comes in and tries to turn the tide in favor of good," id Chief Executive Todd Hollenshead said in an interview.

"Rage" is being built with all-new graphics technology designed by id co-founder John Carmack, who showed off the game at id's annual "QuakeCon" event in Dallas, Texas.

"Rage" will represent somewhat of a stylistic break by letting players roam expansive outdoor areas.

"In addition to the shooting elements and killing bad guys with cool guns -- everyone knows we can do that well -- we wanted to show off some stuff that would surprise people," Hollenshead said.

Hollenshead said the new "tech5" engine would make it easier for developers to design games that are better looking and can be easily modified to run on different gaming systems, a process that normally takes months and pushes up costs.

"It allows a single studio team to make four versions of our game without outside help," Hollenshead said. "You can have massive outdoor environments and make them look glorious down to pixel level without any performance issues."

So yeah, we are legally obligated to report on id's new games, so uh, discuss.

Fighting against an oppressive government in a post-apocalyptic world? Isn't that the plot of Half Life 2?

Perhaps they're getting their revenge on Valve for stealing the Doom plot for Half Life 1.

There's some more info here.

Sounds like the techdemo used real assets from the game from the description on that page. I guess basing a game off Mad Max instead of Aliens is progress...

fraggle said:

Fighting against an oppressive government in a post-apocalyptic world? Isn't that the plot of Half Life 2?

More along the lines of facepalm-inducingly generic.

When the word "Rage" comes up in thoughts of 3d gaming i think of broken blocky alpha blending with no opacity/color, unstable support and slow performance

leileilol said:

When the word "Rage" comes up in thoughts of 3d gaming i think of broken blocky alpha blending with no opacity/color, unstable support and slow performance

nerd

Szymanski said:

Is that a furry 38 second into the video?

yes

Hi I'm new here.

I find that Rage reminds me of Strife alot.
Tim Willits was involved in Strife and is now a part of id software.
I read the story on gamespot a comet crashed into the earth and devistated it.Strife!

Cacodemon said:

Looks nice. So where's the Linux port of that thing?

It will probably come out shortly after the initial launch like it did for Doom 3.

This definitely looks promising. Not much needs to be said about the graphics, either. :)

Er, both?

This is kind of...new. Whenever id comes out with things these days, you kind of expect it to be something Doom, Quake, or Wolfenstein related. A new IP can't hurt :D

RAGE? Well hey that's a GREAT name, an expansive open-minded one! It's just like Doom, Quake, Strife... Hey, there's no obligatory two-words-connected-by-of-or-'s. It's just a four letter word. I'd like if it'd convince people to spell it RAGE, not Rage, just like DOOM seemed to do. Why do you think it's a plain name, when we have Doom, Quake...? Rage's promising as a name. id, don't change it!

STRIFE-like story? Cool, but I didn't really find the graphics attractive. Too pretentious and too sunny, need more pollution.

fraggle said:

Perhaps they're getting their revenge on Valve for stealing the Doom plot for Half Life 1.

I wouldn't call it stealing ... more like improving. I think it was a better use of that particular type of plot line.

Id's new game seems pretty cool. Admittedly, the name is a bit unimaginitive. And it does seem a bit 1984/HL:2-ish ...

Csonicgo said:

This had better run smooth on a 7800 :/

wah my outdated hardware won't run on a game that just came out!!

I always think of the gay superhero form the tv show Queer As Folk whenever I hear 'Rage'. Dumb name.

Use3D said:

I always think of the gay superhero form the tv show Queer As Folk whenever I hear 'Rage'. Dumb name.

You and others which don't like this name, come up with your own four letter and monosyllabic name except "Doom"! I stay with "Rage".