Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frankdude

loose ends

Id has never cleared up some loose ends..
1.quake 1 story
2.original doom series story

Quake ends with you killing shuby and its over.Does
the marine get back to our realm?!

And Doom 2 has two many lose ends after the icon of sin.

After Q1, the story goes on with the mission packs, the scourge of armagon and the other (i don't remember).

DooM 2 is followed by Final DooM.

Lorenzo

Quake 1 Mission pack 2 Dissolution of Eternity ends with a huge lose end.Who is quake?And Final Dooms endings leave the game open.

Since I posted this I replayed quake and the two mission packs.

Is this for the mod makers?
Samething with final doom?

True Id sequals have never been made!

And mission packs i.e. final doom,quake mission pack 1&2 aren't normaly considered cannon. Help!

Hey, this is not something like Star Trek, with a story, a canon and so on. It is a videogame. The story is completly "free"

Lorenzo

Look all I want is somebody to tell me the end or make an end to the games.

Yes quake 1 had a story were you travel to differnt dimensions and fight strage creatures.

And as far as doom goes most megawads like requiem don't have a story!

I think strong stories help with atmosphere.

And who is phil?
Is he a doctor?

Phil is just a marine. He ends up going to through the slipgate before (IIRC) the base gets attacked, and ends up killing that shrub thing. He does return but I did not see how. Of course, this is all according to the Seal of Nehahra mod. But it should be somewhat accurate since they are basing it off the official story.

Thank you zap610

I never got to play through all of nehahra and should revisit it.

No offense but the quake II universe lacks anything original.
And does not have a spooky atmosphere.
In quake 4 it was a nice touch to become half strogg but that didn't save it.

Also shubys full name is shub-niggurath.She(yes she) is named after the H.P. Lovecraft mythos creature.

You know, Quake 1 needs a sequel, starting where it left. Preferably made by id Software.

Unlike Doom 2/3, most of Quake 1 takes place in an imaginary environment, with its own specific culture. The monsters just that, too. Redoing it would put their fantasy to much more test than Doom 3 did.

I lost my copies of the mission packs and I forgot their storylines :(

As for Doom 2, I take its ending as absolute victory -- no need for sequels. Final Doom themselves are followed storywise by The-Unknown-Map over /idgames.

Haven't even installed Quake 4 yet, because my DVD reader is damaged. In Quake 2 the environment was more modern than Quake's. Still, its alien world is quite original.

Oh, do you know this curiosity: the crates in Quake One have Strogg symbols on them. Guess where Quake1 actually leads. That's why same name ;) ...

zap610 said:
killing that shrub thing.

Oh yeah, they forgot to draw leaves on it. Or maybe they dried up down there with all the heat and no sun.

myk said:

Oh yeah, they forgot to draw leaves on it. Or maybe they dried up down there with all the heat and no sun.

Funniest. Reply. Ever.

According to the omnipotent Wikipedia, Quake 2 isn't even a sequel and it "merely used the Quake name for marketing purposes." Psssh. Whatever.

I liked Doom 64's approach to a final ending to Doom. It is questionable if Doom 64 takes place right after Doom 1 and ignores Doom 2 or takes place after it, it is unclear. But I like the concept of our lone marine staying in hell to make sure no demon pulls any bullshit again.

I take Final Doom and Master levels as alternate stories that contribute nothing to the main plot.

Frankdude said:

Look all I want is somebody to tell me the end or make an end to the games.

But then they'd have no sequel potential! Just think what might happen if Indiana Jones 3, Rambo 3, and Rocky 5 had all their loose ends tied? Havoc.

yomoneyboat said:

Quake 2 isn't even a sequel and it "merely used the Quake name for marketing purposes."

Who didn't know that?

printz said:

the crates in Quake One have Strogg symbols on them. Guess where Quake1 actually leads. That's why same name ;) ...

Ah yes, an alteration and reappearance of a single texture is responsible for a related cohesive storyline between the two games.

NOT.

It could be possible all id games from the Doom universe to the quake 2 universe could be conected somehow.But that does not give quake 1 a sequel.

Wolfenstein 3d might be in there too.

But I think they are not conected, like the "pathways into darkness" up to "marathon" idea about the old mac games from bungie.

POTGIESSER said:

Ah yes, an alteration and reappearance of a single texture is responsible for a related cohesive storyline between the two games.

NOT.

Obviously the Strogg, being technologically advanced, gave Shub-Niggurath the means to enslave entire races of people through shipments of high-grade weapons in return for immortality and untold strength. Shub's fatal mistake was leaving them lying around all over the place, not to mention lackluster weapons training programs. The grunts simply couldn't take a hit, and the zombies had tossed too much brain matter to have the capacity to arm themselves. Then he had to go and sit on top of a teleporter... it's a shame, really.

Old-school games require imagination.

Shub-Niggurath is an elder god, usually considered female, though the elder gods do not really have genders. She's supposed to be formless though, and Sandy Petersen should have known that since he WROTE THE CALL OF CTHULHU RPG BOOK. She was supposed to be the one that gave birth to many races or something. Perhaps the teleporter is her vagina?

Also, I always considered the Id games tied together in the same Universe. The Doom storyline takes place in the near future (like within the next 100 years). That's why they're still using old weapons and only colonising the Solar System. Then Earth is destroyed by the demons, of course, and they have to rebuild. Down the line, society returns to normal, but because people are stupid, someone reinvents the teleporter, and this time it leads into a different dimension. First Hell, now this other realm (or realms, cause each episode is supposed to be a different dimension). Then that gets taken care of but soon after the Strogg invade. Pissed off Humanity decides to retaliate but their first invasion of Stroggos goes badly.

Also in this universe, Hitler and his people were doing stuff like raising the dead and building battle armor. Also, on distant worlds, the Sepent Riders were invading from their own dimension.

So in conclusion, the Idiverse has a lot of dimensions, all of them horrible. Even ours sucks because we have shit like the Strogg and Hitler.

Finally, I'd like to add:
If you'd like to know how they eat and breathe,
And other science facts,
You should think to yourself "it's just a show";
You should really just relax!

Didnt the storyline of Quake (i read the manual on the way back from Banger Racing in 1998) start with "some event in the past" knocking humans back technologically so they had to re-invent loads of stuff. A huge global invasion by hell that kills off a good 90% of the population would probably do that. Also some of the levels of Quake "on the other world" look a bit hellish, perhaps it is hell hundreds of years since the Icon of Sin was defeated, and it is still in ruins and ruled by different leaders, and new species of demons have evolved (or at least come to the fore) and other ones have died out. Also Final Doom was only published by ID, not made by them, its as "canon" as something like Eternal or Icarus. Or even DRE. Like "canon" really matters in this case anyway...

There is a story. It's in the MANUAL. It shows how much people don't RTFM and then praise Half-Life for 'having a story' because it's forced down their throats.

I have the original quake manual and don't remember a "event" happining.It but it says this:

You get the phone call at 4 a.m.By 5:30 you're in the secret installation.The commander explains tersely, "It's about the
Slipgate device. Once we perfect these,we'll be able to use them to transport people and cargo from one place to another
instantly."An enemy is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap..."The hell
of it is we have no idea where he's from.Our top scientists think he's not from Earth, but another dimension and this enemy
is targeting this our world."You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find this enemy
and stop him ... or it ... You have full authority to requisition anything you need.If the eggheads are right, all our lives
are expendable.."While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base Damn, that bastard works fast! He heard
about Operation Counterstrike,and hit first.Racing back, you see the place is overrun.You are almost certainly the only
survivor.Operation Counterstrike is over.Except for you.You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate. Since
the enemy's killers came through,it is still set to his dimension.You can use it to get loose in his den.Maybe you can get to
the enemy personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving.

After you beat an episode you get story text as well.

leileilol said:

There is a story. It's in the MANUAL. It shows how much people don't RTFM and then praise Half-Life for 'having a story' because it's forced down their throats.

I agree with you totally on this. Today’s first person shooter practically takes you by the hand and occasionally let you play from plot device to plot device between rendered or cgi cut scenes.

Today's first person shooters? I believe all games now tend to have stories that move along with the game. I don't know why you guys get all up in arms about it like it's a terrible thing either. It makes you cool tho

Speaking of games... I find it a little odd (not really) that you never see ads saying that you lost.
Anyways..
Doom has much of a story as quake though...

Another thing is that in Final Doom, I think it was a choose your own ending type thing.Plutonia OR TNT/Evilution.And I have been playing through quake 3 arena and saw a small icon of sin in the "lost world" map.So all Id games may be connected some how.By way of alternate dimensions.