Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Planky

Wire transfers

I ordered some parts from http://www.mfgsupply.com the other day using my credit card.

I got an email today asking if I was prepared to do a wire transfer. Doesn't paying via credit card negate the purpose of a wire transfer?

I've never done one before and have only heard about it in movies when large amounts of cash is being moved between countries - so of course I'm being little weary, esp since I've never ordered stuff from this site before.

It's most likely a scam. If you wire them money, especially to another country and they are in fact a scam, it's over for your money. A credit card will mostly back up your purchases. So, don't do it.

Did you call their 1-800 to ask what that is about?

Being in NZ, I don't want to be charged for a call to America - I flicked an email to their sales address asking what it was about.

Before you even pay for that wired crap. Make sure you see if the money you paid with your credit card is infact gone. If it is then you know the wired money is a scam.

Something's... odd about that site. It vaguely reminds me of one of those fake search sites that you get when you mistype a popular URL.

It seems that a credit card should cover the purchase with no need to do anything more. It would make me really nervous as well.

When I use my credit cards, from here in the states, and I buy something say in Canada they even make the currency exchange for us, so a wire should not be needed.

You can take back a credit card purchase I am pretty sure but I think a bank wire is forever, not to mention the high cost of doing one.

Edit:
You could contact the local "chamber of commerce" in that town or even check with the local "better business bureau" in that town to see if there are any complaints about them. All that could be done on the internet.

That site does look a bit odd. I might also do a "whois" search for that domain owner and see if the names match the business name.

Yeah, I checked out the email headers as soon as I got it - from what I can tell it's coming from that site:

As it is, I'm staying away from it - everyone here has echoed my thoughts on the matter.

Planky said
Yeah, I checked As it is, I'm staying away from it - everyone here has echoed my thoughts on the matter.

Cue 40s-style war filmreel announcer:
"Once again, the powers of logic and reason triumph over the internet!"

I was hoping that site used paypal as a way to pay for things. That would make it easier.

Planky said:

Being in NZ, I don't want to be charged for a call to America

VOIP must be out of the question.