Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mOBSCENE

Big moron question over here (regarding music)

Hello everyone!
I'm kind of a beginner in mapping and I made my first 4 Doom 2 levels. They are just simple made maps for gzdoom. I would love to use different in game music. I am using doombuilder and that would be the sweet finishing touch i would give to my maps... Can someone help? Is it really hard or complicated to do?
I'd be very thankfull for any answers!

well thats an easy one.

Just import your music (XWE or SLumpEd), it can be pretty much any audio file, from MP3 to OGG and beyond (whoa, sounds like a sales pitch).

Then you can either make a MAPINFO lump with:

music <lumpname>
under each map section.

Or an ACS command during a script to change the level music:
script 1 open
{
setmusic("<lumpname>");
}
As should be obvious, <lumpname> should be replaced with the name of the lump as shown in XWE or SLumpEd.

For more info, check out:

MAPINFO
and
ACS

wiki sections to start out.

(wiki url is zdoom.org/wiki/ )

Load up your maps in DoomBuilder (henceforth refered to as DB for shortness' sake), change their format to ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) if you havent already (I use hexen format as it has the most moddability).

Then go to the Scripts menubar and select "Edit BEHAVIOR lump".

Then hit the Make Script button.

It should bring up a text box.

Now for the very basic coding on this subject, heres what the first few lines should look like:

#include "zcommon.acs" //you need this!

script 1 OPEN //starts when map loads
{
setmusic("<lumpname>"); //set the music

//the rest of your opening level script goes here
}
Note that you do not need the comments (stuff after //) as it is just for pointers and markers and such while editing.

As soon as you get used to it, ACS scripting is a piece of cake.

When you are ready to get the script into your map, hit the Compile button above the text editor, wait for it to finish (usually less than a second, even for 1000 line codes), then close that and save your map.

I prefer the ACS way, as it is a lot more flexible than the MAPINFO lump way, but it can be more complicated.

I'm sorry but i can't really follow:

- "(henceforth refered to as DB for shortness' sake), change their format to ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) if you havent already (I use hexen format as it has the most moddability)."
Huh? I could theoreticly load it that way (but it doesnt work)and i am having problems converting them that way.

- Where is the Scripts menubar?

The best and genaraly the most simple way to change the music
is to make a new lump in your wad with a wad editor like XWE or slumped
and call it the same thing as the name of the music lump in the Doom2 wad that you want to replace, then just import your music file into that
lump and then in game that music track will play instead of the normal Doom or Doom2 music. If you have no idea what a lump or a wad is than you should first learn something about that and get your hands on a wad
editor like Slumped or XWE.

Yeah, ignore Steeveeo and just import the MP3 into your wad using XWE and rename it to the name of the original MUS lump:

Map01 = D_RUNNIN
Map02 = D_STALKS
Map03 = D_COUNTD
Map04 = D_BETWEE

To import a file into XWE you run the program, open your wad, and use the Entry menu on top, choosing "Load", and browsing for your MP3, which will appear in the list to the left once loaded. Right click it on that list and choose "Rename Entry" and change its name to one of the above (depending on the level).

The only reason you'd want to mess with MAPINFO (never mind ACS) at this point is if you wanted to use any of the 4 replaced MUS files as well for music here or there.

Haha, Steeveeo, not only did you way overcomplicate things, but you even missed that it was quite clear he was using GZDoom (from his very first post).

ok, I have XWE, i imported the music but i can not see it on the left (nor on the right if that matters)...
am i doing something wrong?

then like a window opened with loads of numbers in it. I went to rename and gave it a different name - it says "unknown file format"

Yeah, it doesn't know it's an MP3, but GZDoom should. Try the level on GZDoom.

mOBSCENE said:
it says "All"

Where? (There's a button at the bottom that says that, to display all types of lumps). Keep in mind the idea is to rename the newly loaded lump to D_RUNNIN. The list we're talking about begins under the Quickfind bar.

shit, now im getting an error starting my third map!
I have backup files but i do not know how to use them!
oh god!

Open your wad with XWE, make a screen grab with the "Print Screen" key, paste it into Paint or whatever, and post the picture (you can use http://imageshack.us/) so we can see if anything's wrong in the wad directory.

hm.. Fals alarm I guess!
Map 3+ 4 work! (the music)
I'm not quite sure what to do about map 1 + 2 (map 1 worked before) ---- this is so weird! Once i loaded the music - when do i rename the file (because sometimes it seems to rename the map level name)

When you load a lump it goes right under the lump that's currently highlighted. When you open the wad with XWE, the first lump is selected, and that's most likely the one called MAP01, the marker indicating the info for Map01 (the first level) starts there. If the MP3s were inserted there then they would interfere with MAP01's stuff and probably not allow the engine to read it. If that is the case (or if they ended up within the info of any map) you can move the music lumps, which should either be moved to top of the list, or to the end (bottom). To move a music lump select it and use either Ctrl + U (move up) or Ctrl + D (down).

myk said:

Haha, Steeveeo, not only did you way overcomplicate things, but you even missed that it was quite clear he was using GZDoom (from his very first post).

What are you talking about? GZDoom is just ZDoom with some more features and a way better GL Renderer.

I knew that he was using GZDoom, and GZDoom, like ZDoom, supports the same amount of sound formats!

The only reason why I told him to use ACS or MAPINFO (seriously, its not that complicated), was that it is much more flexible in terms of modding.

Myk, you having a bad day or something? I thought you knew all this.

Steeveeo said:

I knew that he was using GZDoom,...

Steeveeo said:

depends on the port you are using.

Which one?

lol shuttup that was at 5 in the morning! At least he now knows the definition of "port" *rolleye*