Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Your most HATED monster?

I dunno, I always thought that that severed head in map30 was kinda outta place and I didn't like that fact that it spawned zombies... that's just me. it irritates me that its to hard to kill too...

Janitor said:

I dunno, I always thought that that severed head in map30 was kinda outta place and I didn't like that fact that it spawned zombies... that's just me. it irritates me that its to hard to kill too...

It looks out of place because you're not supposed to see it.

BoldEnglishman said:

Lost Souls and Pain Elementals. Arch-Viles because they resurrect. Any monster with a homing attack (so Revenants, some versions of the Dark Imp, the Annihilator, etc. etc.)

I don't hate it, but the Icon of Sin was a dissapointment because it wasn't really a real monster, not like a Cyberdemon.

yeah it would've been so much better to have made it a real giant sprite that not only did spawn demons but also at least attacked u too (especially eat u!), even if not a real moving monster but at least the giant head a real sprite

and yeah cyberdemons RULE! :D fun to fight!...except in close, cramped-space combat X(

didy said:

Designwise the Caco and Lost Soul do not fit perfectly, they look too much like a comic figure.

right. i found the doom3 caco better (not a red floating tomato), even the duke3d octabrains looked more menacing. the lost souls... did i mention i hate them? :p

Torr Samaho said:

right. i found the doom3 caco better (not a red floating tomato), even the duke3d octabrains looked more menacing. the lost souls... did i mention i hate them? :p

Oh god, that Octabrain sound scares the everloving shit out of me to this day.

Goatlike monsters, brown Cacodemons with arms and large horns, very tall skeletons in armor, large flabby dudes with flame throwers, pink dog-pig prowlers, brown spiky dudes that hurl fireballs, B movie style zombies, spiderlike mechanic monsters, (etc.) don't really seem any more "serious" than flaming horned skulls and "red tomatoes"

I despise Barons of Hell. I'm a fan of the shotgun/chaingun weapons since the ammo is plentiful, but good god do those guys eat up ammo like no other. Sure a few rockets dispatches them with no trouble, but I prefer to use rockets on groups of weaker enemies just because one or two will destroy about 5-6 enemies.

myk said:

Goatlike monsters, brown Cacodemons with arms and large horns, very tall skeletons in armor, large flabby dudes with flame throwers, pink dog-pig prowlers, brown spiky dudes that hurl fireballs, B movie style zombies, spiderlike mechanic monsters, (etc.) don't really seem any more "serious" than flaming horned skulls and "red tomatoes"

Interesting take on the situation...
And hilarious, too!

any monster that has been ripped from duke3d and put into doom as a replacement scares me

DoomLord said:

Shotgun or not, it is still too easy to kill. Enemy that you can kill with 180 plasma shots or rockets of same count is easy enemy. Also, if you shoot it with plasma, it can't shoot you most of the time. Same effect is in Chaingun, thought it doesn't always work on largest enemies.

The Spider is too easy to kill, for a boss, but it's still one of the hardest enemies in the game. I think it's a fascinating monster and I wish WAD authors would use more of it.

Yes, there are no cacos and no health differences, but many times less monsters (ITYTD skill as I said). Starters and n00bs should play there.
Also, cacos are fun to kill with chainsaw, and thought baron is a bit worse, it's not bad enemy.

The guy you quoted didn't have a problem with those monsters because their health makes them too hard, but because they are easy monsters and their health makes them tedious to kill. I agree with him about the Baron, but caco has quite an appropriate amount of health IMO. Maybe its health could be a little lower, so it could be more reliably killed with 2 SSG blasts.

I don't hate them, but whe people use Spectres badly, it annoys me. Like, people that put 30 of them in a small chamber that opens when you pick a key up. You end up not being able to move to avoid them, and getting raped into a corner by them all. This problem becomes more annoying if you have imps or hitscans opening fire on you as well.

Icarus said:

I don't hate them, but whe people use Spectres badly, it annoys me. Like, people that put 30 of them in a small chamber that opens when you pick a key up. You end up not being able to move to avoid them, and getting raped into a corner by them all. This problem becomes more annoying if you have imps or hitscans opening fire on you as well.

Do you have some examples? That sounds like a good use of spectres for me. And if you don't have berserk/plasma the added imps/hitscans should help you, I think. Those demons don't have a ranged attack (duh), so if they manage to corner you they're used well.

Not off the top of my head. I know its happened in the last room of e1m4 (I think), but only once. That wasn't of bad usage though, just bad timing.
Its not so much that they can't range attack you, its more the fact you have no space to maneuver and can't avoid but be cornered.
Oh well, Good old spectres.

I would like to see an improved Pain Elemental with an secondary attack like an fireball or something, and maybe that lost souls cannot hurt the Pain Elemental just make it an bit more effective does the Pain Elemental have an melee attack not sure here if not it could use one :p

It doesn't. If you stand right in front of it, it becomes unable to spawn Lost Souls because you're blocking them. Then you can just blast them with the SSG.

That's exactly what I do, and if push a Pain Elemental into a corner, then stand right next to it as it dies, alot of the time the lost souls usually spawned just die as soon as they appear.

I personally find the Spider Mastermind harder than the Cyberdemon. To alot of the casual or new players the Cyberdemon is obviously the more menacing and dangerous foe, but as soon as you have mastered circle-strafing, then multiple Cyberdemons can be tackled at once with a good chance of surviving. Yet with a Spider Mastermind your practically going to get hit at least once no matter how much cover/open space/weapons you have.

However, E3M8 is just silly with the BFG. Especially seeing as that was the climax :P

The Reveanant. My most hated foe. On his own he's not to bad. But in large groups without any power weapons... It makes me just think "Well, i'm screwed"

Which reminds me of the situation i always encounter, i'm low on ammo and health, a door opens, and about 12 Reveanant's charge out.
=S

OmegaJ4 said:

Which reminds me of the situation i always encounter, i'm low on ammo and health, a door opens, and about 12 Reveanant's charge out.
=S

Sounds like the monsters had a plan. A good one at that. lol

Actually, the only monsters I hate are the ones the map designer used effectively and to good use. As a player I'm always disappointed when a map designer places monsters to be nothing more than fodder. I like to see them used as intelligently as possible to create the most havoc and damage to the player without being ********** in the extreme. There should be a certain level of tactics designed into a map for the monsters, to make them a tough foe.

Of course, if used this way, I now hate the designer of the map, but in a good way. lol

I always have been irked by the Spider Mastermind and the arachnotrons because of their lack of 8 legs. I mean come-on, if you're going to invoke fear thru imagry of spiders gone amuck, at least give them 8 legs.

edit: WTF is wrong with this site? You let people swear like drunken sailors but you protect us from the evils of *gasp* mis-spelled words. lol, to funny. BTW, it was ree-DICK-you-lous hahaha

Icarus said:

It annoys me when people use spectres in situations where they're no different from demons. They should be used in areas where their partial invisibility actually makes them hard to see. And being cornered by demons...well, you should be moving back and forth and strafing even a little at any time when they start to corner you, so that you'll end up in a small "pocket" of space that the demons can't enter if you move well. You move next to a demon in the "pocket", it attacks and you move away before it gets to the damaging frame, then you move back, rinse and repeat. It's hard and it's extremely rare to get away without being hit a few times, but it's possible. Just move, move, move and once more move.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

If you stand right in front of it, it becomes unable to spawn Lost Souls because you're blocking them. Then you can just blast them with the SSG.

In these situations, you should really use fist or chainsaw to preserve ammo (unless there's other baddies around so that you can't stay still for too long)...

Jodwin said:

And being cornered by demons...well, you should be moving back and forth and strafing even a little at any time when they start to corner you, so that you'll end up in a small "pocket" of space that the demons can't enter if you move well. You move next to a demon in the "pocket", it attacks and you move away before it gets to the damaging frame, then you move back, rinse and repeat. It's hard and it's extremely rare to get away without being hit a few times, but it's possible. Just move, move, move and once more move.

If you backpedal and strafe in just the right combination with the chainsaw out, you can slash them and avoid be attacked by other demons as that slight movement will move you just far enough away.
You can use this in combination with alternating your attacks between demons for large groups.

yomoneyboat said:

Oh god, that Octabrain sound scares the everloving shit out of me to this day.

Best Early FPS monster Evar.

Jodwin said:

It annoys me when people use spectres in situations where they're no different from demons. They should be used in areas where their partial invisibility actually makes them hard to see.

There's something intelligent. That's something that always bothers me too. What's the point of making a nearly invisible monster if you put it in an area that contrasts and makes it easy to see? They can be deadly even in small groups if you can't see the bastards.

I HATE Pain elementals!!! more like pain in the ass elementals! sure that's what the angry video game nerd would say. but seriously I can't even stand the sight of one. and if I had to look at one every day I would probably kill myself.

Shapeless said:

I HATE Pain elementals!!! more like pain in the ass elementals! sure that's what the angry video game nerd would say. but seriously I can't even stand the sight of one. and if I had to look at one every day I would probably kill myself.

LMAO, that's TOTALLY what he would say, and probably make a comment on how its ass looks :-)

About my most hated monster... Dumb, tough, flies, on fire, 'nuff said.

The PE? He's cute little fella, I totally loved him in Doom 2, especially when he stopped spitting things at me.

udderdude said:

Cacos have a melee attack, and it HURTS.

One bit me on the ass once. Not fun.

Also, PEs and Lost souls I cannot stand. If it were possible, I would take one and grab it by the horns, and smash it against the wall. or perhaps I could domesticate one and let him kill the former humans and imps for me?

also, spectres in hellcore are very dangerous. I can't see them at all!

Someone smart should make a deh patch so Pain Elementals can bite.

Well, you have to figure that they're called PAIN elementals for a reason. I'm just glad Arch-Viles can't resurrect them.

I find a lot of the monsters difficult in the right situation, because I suck at Doom (Seriously, I haven't played it since like 7th grade and only got back into it at all about a month ago because of the SA threads)

I'll tell you what I hate. Cheap scares. Monster closets and enemies that teleport in behind you. Hate, hate, HATE Them. Because for me, DOOM can still be scary. I get an adrenaline boost from just about any FPS, and that leaves me much more open to sudden "BOO,MOTHERFUCKER!" shocks.

Wait, PE's can be resurrected? Man I didn't know that (as logically, if you think about it, there is nothing left of the PE to resurrect as it explodes -- but obviously it has resurrection frames so... ahh!!!)

Without a doubt, i think revenants are the most annoying monsters in the game. Their so bitchy you cant even box them, you get a swing on them and step like 3 inches away. <SHOOOEEFFFGH> homing rockets in your face. Annoying mappers always manage to put like 3 or 4 in long hallways so homing rockets are like impossible to dodge. Getting the rockets off your tail is such a frustrating task in itself, having to dispose of all the revenants as they constantly spit those rockets out is unbeleivably annoying.

Lost Souls, they are fast, unpredictable. I prefer to use the minigun to take them down, using the rifle if you miss they come to get you rapidly!