Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Your most HATED monster?

Prince of Darkness said:
However, once I got the Collector's edition, that changed. Not because I was not as easy to spook, but because their is a glitch with their "cloaking", i.e. they appear as flashing black and white figures, with "Streams" of what looks to be binary coding going through them.

Yeah, see here.

Mithral_Demon said:

Eh, they have good attack power, but really, they are a bit big and would easily die by 2 demons (pinkys), killing one but dying by the other.

True, for how good their attack power is, their toughness is sort of a letdown

I HATE chaingunners beyond all reason. I hate how they have much better accuracy than you do, and I hate it when they snipe or teleport in on you and tear you to shreds before you can figure out where they are.

I also hate revenants, but they aren't as frustrating.

Slink said:

I HATE chaingunners beyond all reason. I hate how they have much better accuracy than you do,

Since when? Their bullets tend to spray everywhere like an SSG shooting one pellet at a time.

As you said, they have good range. It's quite a blessing that the great spider is very weak, because it has just the same kind of annoyances: Long range, immense accuracy, and yes, shotguns.

DoomLord said:

As you said, they have good range. It's quite a blessing that the great spider is very weak, because it has just the same kind of annoyances: Long range, immense accuracy, and yes, shotguns.

I wouldn't call it very weak, it takes about 30 rockets to take the bitch down.

I never used an spiderboss before in my maps now I think of it I dislike its radius its an big and clumsy monster if I'm going to use an boss in my map it will be an cyberdemon.

Imps would be my favourite the sounds they make and they are easy to kill they start becoming more of an threat in larger groups.

dutch devil said:

I never used an spiderboss before in my maps now I think of it I dislike its radius its an big and clumsy monster if I'm going to use an boss in my map it will be an cyberdemon.

Imps would be my favourite the sounds they make and they are easy to kill they start becoming more of an threat in larger groups.

Yeah, I like Imps. But I think Barons are most demonic monster of Doom.

for most demonic I have to go lost souls on that one.

The most irritating ones are the pain elementals, IMO. Spewing Lost Souls which, on their own, at least stay away once you blasted them. A Pain Elemental can be tricked into infighting, but whatever he fires at the other monsters, the Lost Souls still come after YOU.

I died more than once having a rocket blowing up in my face which was meant for a Pain Elemental, but was head-butted by a Lost Soul.

Yeah, for gameplay irritation, I'd definitely go for the Pain Elementals.

Pain Elementals.
Not because they spew Lost Souls.
Not because they blow up and spew 3 more Lost Souls.
Not because they don't do any melee damage.
But because they look like lazy edits of the Cacodemon.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Sorry but it looks more like you got onto the anti-PE bandwagon with a half-assed reason. How are they a lazier edit of another monster than Hell knights and Arachnotrons? They're about as lazy as the Shotgun guy is to the Zombieman; the same basic body form, but turning out quite distinct overall.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Pain Elementals.
Not because they spew Lost Souls.
Not because they blow up and spew 3 more Lost Souls.
Not because they don't do any melee damage.

Actually, they probably saved a lot of man-hours and money editing the Cacodemon sprite than making a new clay model for the PE.

I can't honestly say that I HATE any particular monster - they are after all just pixels in need of some attitute adjustment :-)

The monsters that annoy me the most are the hit-scanners - sniping from far-far-away or shooting me in the back from behind a false wall.

The monster/s that kill me most often are me, myself and I - usually the result of being careless.

Quote for the day-
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. - Friedrich Nietzsche

GreyGhost said:

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hmm, deep. That must be what Cernel Joson was getting at.

myk said:

Sorry but it looks more like you got onto the anti-PE bandwagon with a half-assed reason. How are they a lazier edit of another monster than Hell knights and Arachnotrons? They're about as lazy as the Shotgun guy is to the Zombieman; the same basic body form, but turning out quite distinct overall.

The zombies are they're own sub-category with a number of distinct types. You can't really call human enemies lazy, since they are so common in every game. But another floating spheric demon? Come on. They could've been more creative.

Same goes for the Hell Knights, though they're not as annoying gameplay-wise.

Agh, definitely the Archvile for me! When I was younger they always gave me the creeps, hated having to be "jumped up" by the flame attack. I'd rather take on a Cyberdemon - at least they're easy to dodge!

I also really hated pain elementals, those were also a major pain to deal with, specifically in crowded rooms.

Pain Elementals (archviles close second), esopecially when there are more than one. Spawning lost souls all over to waste your ammo.

Archviles by far. Their flame attack is annoying. But nothing compares to bringing back the dead. That really complicates things.

For me the Cyberdemon just has too many hitpoints. I strafe and strafe but eventually I forget and BOOM... up in flames I go.

kristus said:

You all should try playing with -nomonsters, I'm sure you'll love it.

That still leaves us with barrels, crushers, nukeage and rocket launcher suicides to deal with.
I'm sure those barrels are stalking me! :)

My favorite way to play is to turn the lights off, set it to nighmare mode, and go to map 27 in alien vendetta. Then I hit pause, turn off my monitor, and go listen to some Bach. Best way to play Doom ever, and the least frustrating.

kristus said:

You all should try playing with -nomonsters, I'm sure you'll love it.

Its nice to think the most intimidating thing in the map is a lamp :)

Ouch said:

Archviles by far. Their flame attack is annoying. But nothing compares to bringing back the dead. That really complicates things.

True, I used up most of my bullets to kill a Baron, and what do ya know? An arch-vile revives it :(

Baron O' Hell said:

True, I used up most of my bullets to kill a Baron, and what do ya know? An arch-vile revives it :(

Kill that smart bitch first :p I always keep thinking the Arch Vile is an she it looks female-ish.

Hmmmn....

You know, if you find faults of the Archie, there is 1 thing I just thought of:

When you kill Chaingun/Shotgun zombies, let a archie revive and kill again til you have full ammo, just incase some bastard group of Barons appear and have no rockets (Which I doubt much...)