Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Doom 4 A Certainty

John Carmack confirmed in a recent QuakeCon interview that Doom 4 is in the future plans of id Software. Says he:

There will be a Doom 4, we don’t have it scheduled or a team assigned to it, but there will be a Doom 4. There’s going to be a Quake Arena sequel. There’s a Wolfenstein thing in production. We’re following along with all those. This game doesn’t have to be Doom. It’s going to be something different.

You can read the whole interview here although there is nothing else interesting of course.

Interesting stuff. There seems to have been something of a sea change at id recently, moving away from the small-team single-game mentality towards a broader, more business oriented approach, leveraging both their technology and IP more aggressively. Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing, I just wonder why it's suddenly happening now? It's not like the company's been bought up, maybe it's the people they've hired, or Carmack's whim. He says he doesn't want the company getting past 40 people, so it'll still be relatively small, but I wonder how that'll jive with the newer business guys if they're pushing the expansion. Is there a happy medium between the cottage industry approach and Valve and Epic's eat-the-world ambition?

The Rage info is good as well. Although the description, racing mixed with shooter, doesn't hold great personal appeal to me, it's heartening that they're conciously trying to step outside their confort zone and experiment with gameplay a little more.

Janizdreg said:

John Carmack confirmed in a recent QuakeCon interview that Doom 4 is in the future plans of id Software. Read the short bit about Doom 4 here or the whole interview here.

Damn. I hope Doom 4 won't be taken by Raven! <-- judging ONLY from the Heretic-Hexen 2 series. Those 4 games are made for gameplay, but their creativity suffered, being confined in a preset plan, without letting their imagination run amok.

Whoever makes Doom 4, let'em lock themselves and eat like being in a cell, and think all day about the game, while doing physical exercises on schedule and mapping on the other part of the schedule.

One thing I would like to express, I Just want to fight
A big 3d Icon of sin!! or atleast someone's head on a pole...

Jonathan said:

Interesting stuff. There seems to have been something of a sea change at id recently, moving away from the small-team single-game mentality towards a broader, more business oriented approach, leveraging both their technology and IP more aggressively. Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing, I just wonder why it's suddenly happening now? It's not like the company's been bought up, maybe it's the people they've hired, or Carmack's whim. He says he doesn't want the company getting past 40 people, so it'll still be relatively small, but I wonder how that'll jive with the newer business guys if they're pushing the expansion. Is there a happy medium between the cottage industry approach and Valve and Epic's eat-the-world ambition?

This isn't something new. They've been doing this one way or another for almost their entire existance as a company.

I suppose the list is as follows:
Heretic
Hexen
Final Doom
Commander Keen GBC
Doom64
RTCW
W:ET
QuakeIV
DoomRPG
Orcs and Elves
QW:ET
Wolfenstein2
Doom4

Added to that list another list of official expansion packs such as
Doom2: the master levels (EDIT: I know nothing about this pack, so it might not belong in this list.)
Quake : Scourge of armagon
Quake : Dissolution of eternity
Quake2 : the reckoning
Quake2 : Ground Zero
Doom3 : Resurrection of Evil

On top of that, tons of conversions that are changed from their originals more or less drastically.

EDIT2: I don't even understand why people always claim Id is just an engine company. Fine they don't think highly of their games (considering the endless bitching about how they hated all the games they made after Doom, or after Quake or whatever), but they are spending considerable ammount of time working on these games, and just because they are selling their engines to licensees, doesn't mean that their games are just tech demos. Who would spend 4 years developing a tech demo that isn't even taking advantage of all the tech?
Id is known for making simple games, Carmack prefers such games. Carmack is a major authority on the company, end of story.

It's even rare for companies to port their games to as many platforms as Id generally do. Doom is found on basically every platform imaginable. Quake is pretty damn ported too, like to the Amiga for instance.
You don't see that with most other companies.

Bingbing said:
I thought it would be another decade before a new sequel.

DOOM 3 wasn't a sequel of the previous DOOMs. In any case, you could "expect" them to remake the DOOM series again in 2028, but not really.

Who the hell approved this news item, not only did it not follow style guidelines but it didn't even contain the quote in question.

That answers that I guess

In any event we know this is going to be a boring ass derivative FPS by one of the id satellites (Raven, Nerve, Splash Damage, etc).

I'm not that excited...

No FPS game has had me addicted since 2002 with RTCW/Enemy territory & Medal of Honor.

Might just be that despite the better visuals, the gameplay is just not as good/fun as it was. Why am I playing Doom, Quake and Enemy Territory more than I'm playing anything else from the last 4 years.

Even ETQW (judging from a few plays of the beta) seemed like a major let down.

Well if doom4 is really rage or not,
I just hope it doesn't play like halo,
yeah yeah I know saying something like that is
Sterotype for a doom fan like myself,But
I also Hope its not like doom3, with the go into a room,
quicksave, blast a baddie,Listen to sargent blahdeeblah
tell you where to go, have some fun with mr.flashlight
rinse and repeat...ok im done complaining now.

ironically, quake 4 is why i suggested raven. quake 4 was a fuck of a lot more fun than quake 2 or doom 3.

Next thing you know there's gonna be a new Dai Katana or Commander Keen...

I thought Quake 4 was pretty fun. More-so than Doom 3 anyway.

I thought that article was interesting. Id, it seems, really has gone down a slightly different path. Oddly enough, they're kinda acting like Romero wanted in the first place, a gaming empire. Id can license out engines and IPs out the ass to a few companies and then hire another team to do a fucking sequel to another IP they own. How about "Hovertank 3599" or "Catacombs : Gymores' Dagger". They can also out-source all the porting work if they wanted to be lazy about it, too.

Craigs said:

Next thing you know there's gonna be a new Dai Katana

Yeah, because id totally made daikatana.

I hope they make Doom 4: A New Catacomb. I only have the shareware Catacomb and haven't got any far, but still!

As a side note, I just remember that Heretic and Hexen 2 are very intense games.

Linguica said:

That answers that I guess

In any event we know this is going to be a boring ass derivative FPS by one of the id satellites (Raven, Nerve, Splash Damage, etc).

Did you actually read the interview? He says explcitly that they're setting up a second internal team.

kristus said:

This isn't something new. They've been doing this one way or another for almost their entire existance as a company.

id have always had a single team of around 14 people working on a single project. They'd make a game, produce a sequel using roughly the same engine, then move onto a new IP. From a creative perspective, it's nice to be creating new stuff, telling a new story, etc, but from business view it's wasteful not to leverage an established brand.

The difference now is that with the old id, we had to wait 11 years for a sequel to Doom 2, and it only happened because the developers sat down and said "it'd be fun to make a Doom sequel". Now it's a given that franchises will be continued as a matter of course. Initially, as with RTCW and Quake 4, by satellites like Nerve or Raven, and now within the second id team. So we know there'll be a Doom 4, and if it sells well there'll be a Doom 5 further down the line.

Doom4 might be a game that id-a or id-b would do.
I really don't hope Raven will get the project. Quake4 was the very model of a modern assembly-line-raven shooter.