Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Fun with Quake textures

I'm having so much fun with this that I'm considering going into Quake mapping after this wad is done... Shame there'll be nobody to play any Quake maps I make... but what the hell, eh?

Here's some screenies (they can be enlarged)

quake1
quake2
quake3

And now... Questions... How do you make it so that you can use flats as a wall texture?

Do my eyes deceive me or is the blue waterfall texture not in Doom2? I'm sure it exists somewhere though...

KennyJC said:

And now... Questions... How do you make it so that you can use flats as a wall texture?

Make an texture out of the flat or if you map for like zdoom you can use flats as textures without doing any extra work.

Do my eyes deceive me or is the blue waterfall texture not in Doom2? I'm sure it exists somewhere though...

Yes the waterfall is not in doom2 but it is in final doom and some megawads however.The screens look pretty good to me.

KennyJC said:

How do you make it so that you can use flats as a wall texture?

dutch devil has pretty much answered your question, but I'll elaborate a little. If you're using ZDooM (and possibly some other ports), you can use flats and textures interchangably. However, if you are creating your wad for DooM/2.exe or a source port that does not allow interchanging flats/textures, you will need to save your flat as a patch, then insert the patch into a texture. Ask if you need further instructions.

ReX said:

dutch devil has pretty much answered your question, but I'll elaborate a little. If you're using ZDooM (and possibly some other ports), you can use flats and textures interchangably. However, if you are creating your wad for DooM/2.exe or a source port that does not allow interchanging flats/textures, you will need to save your flat as a patch, then insert the patch into a texture. Ask if you need further instructions.

I'm gonna leave all the pain in the ass texture stuff till the end (and I have a feeling there will be lots of pains in the ass), so it's not urgent right now, but is there a FAQ on it anywhere that I can read at my leisure? I don't really know where to start.

Oh, and the only way I can run my map in Doom is to have the command line -file untitled.wad q1tex.wad ...

When I put the new sky in my last maps, it was quite a pain in the ass... I'm really not gonna want to do that for 2 dozen textures not counting the flats I want to convert to textures, and waterfall I want to put in as well...

well once you get into Quake mapping, I reccomend using Quark (latest build), as it is the best and easiest for the job!

It is also good for any Quake game (1-4) I think also Doom3 (not sure), and other similar engines. (Like Torque)