Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asdjfk

H!Zone for Heretic and Hexen

Ive recently been into finding information about obscure addon packs such as "Perdition's gate" for doom 2. And then I found out about H!Zone for Heretic and Hexen. Ive actually found the full thing itself, and I dont know exactly how I would go about playing this on zdoom or any modern scource port. There are alot of useless files (theyre useless because this thing, in addition to having 12 new episodes with new textures and enemies, has outdated dos based front ends and stuff), but i noticed a folder with the files for all of the episodes to play. There are wads called "sprites" "textures" "flats", all of the individual episodes, and this weird file called 'database.d", which isnt a wad. I tried dragging and dropping them all at the same time into zdoom. The main game actually works, but there are missing textures and the new objects and enemies are missing too. I know they're missing because some walls and floors have that checker pattern, and the console says "unknown textre snofloor" for instance. I was hoping someone could help me on this....

Try using dosbox to set the whole game up but NOT too play it, then see if the setup compiled the files for you into wads.

I would use vanilla, but there are some serious problems. First off, there doesnt appear to be a "setup" or "install" file for this. I did find that there are files called "cdhelper" and "start.bat", which seem to be the installers. The problem is that, although they work,even in dosbox, they keep saying "runtime error in" followed by some random number.

inside of the file H!Zone is the start.bat and cdhelper, plus the word document for cd helper, which is just a readme for H!Zone. Also there are these 2 exe's call INTRO and INTRO 2, and also these files called "WIZIN.FLI" and WIZOUT.FLI. There is a folder called H!Zone where these files are. When you open the folder, then you see alot of files most of them for those obsolete frontends. There is this folder called "CUSTOM". Inside that folder there is a folder called HERETIC. Inside that are these files: EPI-01.wad all the way to EPI-12.wad. Then in that same folder are the wads "TEXTURES", "SPRITES" and "FLATS". There is also this file called "DATABASE.D!". There is this weird folder called T, where there are E3M1-E3M9 wads. All of the episodes replace episode 3, and I know that. I do no use all the EPI wads at the same time

TEXTURES", "SPRITES" and "FLATS might be used as tools for a compiler or, you can try an utility called wadmerge.I think it is at idgames.

I suggest using a dosbox frontend that comes with dosbox called dbgl it runs off java runtime2.Make a stupid profile and use these settings:

Machine:vga
core:dynamic
cycles:max

Under the machine tab.
And mount one intro at a time.

See what happens and reportback.

I already have this other frontend which has the same functions and it doesnt work either. I tried wadmerge, but for some reason, it wont detect whats in the textures, sprites, and flats wads . I know this because when I open the wad in xwe I only see maps, and when I press start in wad merge, i notice it says, for instance "loading textures.....0 texture", even though I specifically specified to merge the EPI-01.wad with the texture, sprite, and flat mods. What should i use as the iwad? Heretic?

I actually finally have gotten the installer thing to work! I was just stupid enough not to specify a few things in the frontend for dosbox that I had about mounting stuff. But there is a new problem. I have Heretic: Shadow of the serpent riders installed in C:\Heretic, but it says I dont. Maybe this thing only accepts the 3 episode version of heretic (which I dont have)?

BTW, thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it alot

Glad I could help.

I don't have the mission pack but I have toyed around in dos with a big selection of games since I was 9.So I know my why around a little.

I am sorry to say you may be right about the packs compatibilty.
I have D!zone gold , but doom does not have as many quirks.
All I can say to you is keep trying.
Remember don't get obsessed about trying to make the mission pack work.And I enjoy trying to help people make computer things(mostly dos) work.

Thanks

Well the installer actually works, except that during installation, it hangs up at 1% done, which is odd, and therefore nothing is installed

It may have some problems finding your iwad.Look to see if the filepaths are right.You have might to rename your iwad to heretic.wad if its not already.

Its already named heretic.wad, and ive tryed both the old and new versions of heretic and it doesnt work. The file paths are correct, and I altered nothing when I installed both versions of heretic. Nothing is changing the fact that it stalls at 1%

I have a question though. I have this frontend called dfend version 3, and there is an area where you can change mounting and stuff. In order for the cdhelper/start.bat things to work as if i had the cd, is configuration correct:

Mount type: CDROM
Select Drive/CDROM/Image or Floppy to mount: C:\
Drive label :(I left this blank)
Mounted drive letter: C

The frontend you are using is not as good as the one I recomended, at least for my uses for dosbox.

Try copying the entire contents of the cd to a folder.Then try the install again using everything in the folder.

Report Back

Using the frontend you recommended didnt help, sadly. However, it may just be a matter of whether not im doing it right. I have to confess though: I dont have the actual CD: just the files inside it. Perhaps thats a factor. Ive also placed the files in many locations. Didnt help.

And on an unrelated note, is D!Zone gold any good?

The short answer is no.

I bought D!zone Gold for the two exclusive wads.
And both Perditions Gate and Hell to Pay were fun until they said buy the full versions.I checked the other ones out and mostly all of them were on idgames, so I don't think it is good.But if you find it real cheap(around $3.00 and under with cheap shipping) it might be worth a try for your Doom needs.

Files with a .D!D ending like
House.D!D
Should be renamed .deh like
House.deh

I opened my D!zone gold cd-rom up and they changed the .deh(deHacked)files to be locked in to their frontend.

And Tell me if it works.

Frankdude said:

Files with a .D!D ending like
House.D!D
Should be renamed .deh like
House.deh

I opened my D!zone gold cd-rom up and they changed the .deh(deHacked)files to be locked in to their frontend.

And Tell me if it works.

sorry for the misunderstanding but i wasnt really talking about how to get D!Zone to work, since I dont have it. I was referring to H!zone still, but thanks for the prompt reply and the reply and the info anyway

But is there any specific way to correctly mount the H!Zone start.bat in dosbox without a cd?

I only way I know is to put all the cd-rom files and folders in a a new one and make it resemble the cd-rom original or in your case zip.
Then try again.H!Zone may not be your problem as dumb as it sounds the Legacy port may work better.Since Zdoom is in a state of flux.

example_____
zdoom 2.0.98 will run rtcbluehub.wad
But zdoom 2.1.7 won't.
Too clarify this look on idgames for a heretic wad called shadowcaster by stephen "ultimate doomer" clark and read the textfile and it says something about if you run with zdoom use a less curent version.

The new version is at: http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars
Download 12.zip and 13.zip, extract the files from 12.zip into your folder,
and replace the newly-extracted zdoom.exe with the one found in 13.zip

I think the link is broken, since it leads to one of those weird sites that just has a bunch of ads and pictures...

And I cant get it to work with legacy either.
I still dont get exactly how to mount the H!Zone folder/zip and make it work right. What should I enter under the "mounting" tab in dbgl?

Mount cdhelper and see what happens.
Also the link is bad sorry.I took the example out of the shadowcaster text file.

The problem is that, pathetically enough, I dont really know HOW to mount it exactly. I go into dbgl and into mounting, but im completely unsure as to how to get it to work as if its a cd. Do I Specifically mount cdhelper or the whole h!zone folder? No matter what I do nothing at all seems to work in dbgl or dfend

The only thing I can say is click "browse" in mount and find the .exe.
I am sorry to say after this I do not belive that you got the whole h!zone or you got a corupted version.

After this I don't know anything else.
I have racked my brain and came up blank.

Very sorry

Perhaps I should somehow turn the files into an iso, but i have no idea how to do that, but will find out. If this doesnt work, then I officially give up. Thanks alot for the help and effort