Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GzStarWars

Using Colormap to create flash in BOOM.

Here is an example of what I'm going for in PrBOOM:

Would it be possible to do anything like this using Colormap in PrBOOM? The flashing colored lights that is, not the crappy gfx. ;)

The flash that occurs when a gun is fired is a temporary increase in brightness, not an entirely different colormap. What you want is more in the way of the radsuit powerup that tints the screen green.
Can't do what you want in plain Doom, though.

I didn't want the screen color to change when I fire a weapon, rather I wanted to have an invisible trigger that when crossed will tell a sector to switch back and forth between red to normal to red, etc. Like an alarm.

I think you said before that you were using GZDoom to make a Starwars megawad, right?

If so, either use ACS, light sequence sector specials, or something else that I forget at the moment (I've had no sleep today, dont blame me and my crappy memory at the moment)

I think this is possible using colormaps with PrBoom.
(Note though that it may not work properly with OpenGL ports like GZDoom).

Basic idea: the first half of the colormap (which is for bright lighting) is normal, and the second half (which is for dark lighting) uses all-red colors.

Initially the sector is bright (light level at least 192). Then the trigger line makes the sector start blinking between 192 and 96.

Making the custom colormap is the hard part. I usually write a little C program to do it. Boom's CMAPTOOL might be usable, get it here:
http://home.pacbell.net/jflynn/software.html

Steeveeo's "use zdoom features" mantra is getting annoying, since you specifically asked about PrBoom, however if you are using ZDoom then doing this with ACS is probably a lot easier.

Ok, so you are saying to apply the Colormap to my sector, then have a trigger that merely alters the lighting in the room to give the illusion that a red light is flashing.
I'll give it a try so long as I can define what two light levels for it to flash from.

As for GzDOOM, the reason I am not using any of it's features at this time is because I realized that the Nintenod DS port of DOOM is based off an older copy of the PrBOOM source. It is still slightly buggy, but very playable, so I fell in love with the idea of seeing how much I could push out of the DS, and sort of put the GzDOOM project on the side for now and return to my DOOM roots for a while.

I've been working on my Star Wars DOOM conversion ever since I first got the balls to give DOOM editing a go which was back in 2000. My project used to be for DOOM Legacy, so I have a ton of old Sprites, Textures, Weapons, and Enemies that I'd put together doing nothing but collecting dust. So I figured this DS project would find all those resources a home, plus it gave me inspiration to create more Star Wars themed sprites, textures and what not for classic DOOM. On top of that I've decided it would be interesting to take this DS game to locations very familiar from Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight. Of course I'm lacking the 3D floors, scripting, lighting, and other features of GzDOOM in this version, it is still exciting to see how much you can actually do in PrBOOM that Vanilla DOOM could never dream of. Infact I've nearly re-created (minus fine tuning of course) stage six of Dark Forces 2, where you travel up the Canal into Baron's Hed. I was basing Baron's Hed off of the original Map, but then upon reading the history of Baron's Hed I began to feel that what was presented in DF2 was rather small for the history of the place, so in my version I've pretty much re-created the original map, not down to the foot of course, but the lay out and textures are VERY familiar. Then from that I've expanded out even further to give more locations in the city to explorer since after all the path will need to be different from the orginal DF2 so as not to be totally redundant.

Anyhow....

I'll mess around with this some more and see if I can come up with anything. :)

It does infact work with a mere flashing light trigger combined with trigger 242...

...once again looking for the hard way to resolve a problem. Bad habit. :)

I'll have a look at your color maps and play around with them as well, thank you!

GzStarWars said:

It does infact work with a mere flashing light trigger combined with trigger 242...

...once again looking for the hard way to resolve a problem. Bad habit. :)

Bad habit for me too. Glad you got it going.

Ajapted said:
Steeveeo's "use zdoom features" mantra is getting annoying, since you specifically asked about PrBoom, however if you are using ZDoom then doing this with ACS is probably a lot easier. [/B]

Oh sorry, missed that part. I saw him write that he was making a SW wad in GZDoom before (note his name), so I thought he was sticking with that port.

Steeveeo said:

Wait....you cant change your name here?

Nope.
You get one shot, make it a good one!

You do have the option of signing up under a new user name at anytime I am pretty sure. Several people on the boards have alter egos.

Searcher said:

You do have the option of signing up under a new user name at anytime I am pretty sure. Several people on the boards have alter egos.

Oops, you got me. I'm secretly every member in the forum.

yomoneyboat said:

Oops, you got me. I'm secretly every member in the forum.

I knew it! Hi me!

Anyhoo, might wanna get back on track before this all goes down the crapper.