Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Ofiicial DOOM II Screen Saver

I remember to have a card when I received The Ultimate DOOM's box back then. It made propaganda of DOOM II, and it's items (Player's Cap, Strategy guide if I'm correct, T-Shirt, and screensaver).

Just curious, how was it? I guess random characters walking and shooting at random in a black background.

Game-like animated sequences of Doom II creatures battle across your screen to save it!

4 exciting modules with ever changing but never-ending explosive action and sound effects!

Works with Windows™, After Dark™ and Norton Desktop™.

Annoyed by cutesy wutsey, teeny weeny graphics cluttering your screen as your computer sits groaning in idle torpor on your desk? Do you wish to inflict unspeakable attrocity (sic) on those flying toasters and floating fish that plague your valuable space with annoying frequency?

Then get some fear...the Doom II Screen Saver is here!

Experience your jaw drop on the keyboard, your mouse run for cover and your eyeballs bulge to bursting point in disbelief as all hell breaks loose in front of you.

The Doomtastical spaterfest runs riot through four different modules as the vilest creatures from Doom II parade via a fully automatic installation program. The Doom II Screen Saver invades Microsoft Windows 3.1, Norton Desktop for Windows, and Berkely Systems's After Dark 3.0 with ease. You have been warned...

Well, that's what the box says anyway. I think it's a European (French) product which may explain the slightly awkward grammar.

The 4 modules are listed on the back:

Barrels-O-Fun - shows a picture of a cybie surrounded by floating normal and burning barrels.

The Duel - shows a space marine and another actor (another marine?) getting gibbed.

Fireworks - shows a bunch of imps

Skeet Shot - shows the HUD shotgun and a revenant.

It's a long, long time since I had it on my machine but I don't remember it being particularly good. I don't think the saver used a black/blank background but maybe that was an option. I remember the things flying around over the top of my normal Windows.

System requirements:
CD-ROM Drive 150 KB/sec or higher
386/33DX minimum
MS DOS 5.0 or higher, Windows 3.1
Hard Drive,5MB of free space
4MB RAM min. VGA or SVGA graphics
Mouse Optional
Supports Windows™ compatible Soundcards

Hmmm here is how good it is... In December of 1995 I think it was at Walmart for $25. In 1996 in the summer it was literally $1. With hundreds of copies still on shelves in boxes.

I bought it for 50 cents at a computer show in 1998. It was pretty lame. It also messed up my sound drivers for some reason.

Technician said:

I wish some one would zip the file up for those of us who missed the opportunity to buy it.

is that even legal?

If I still had it, I would, although it's really not even worth the trouble.

The only mode that was even remotely entertaining was the battle mode, where 2 random monsters would face off and the winner would waltz off-screen.

That was actually the only time in my Dooming history that I ever saw a former sergeant take down a Cyberdemon.

Megalyth said:

That was actually the only time in my Dooming history that I ever saw a former sergeant take down a Cyberdemon.

LOLWUT?
How in god's name did that happen?

Janitor said:

is that even legal?

If someone usually gets most of his software from thepiratebay.org, I guess that isn't even a question to be bothered with.

Hmmm actually with the Doom graphics a screensaver shouldn't be too rough to make. I think I will give it a try.

I just tried to find my copy, but I remembered that I loaned it out a decade ago. It might be nice if ID just released it for free on their site. It was only on 4 disks.

How in god's name did that happen?

The screensaver monsters don't have the same health status as the game, or at least the cyberdemon doesn't.