Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

XP goes black when I exit Doom or Quake

... and only the mouse cursor is visible. Normally I can get around it by loading one of the single click icon programs next to the start menu and the program loads up and moving it around will get rid of the blackness. Sometimes it doesnt work though and I literally have to pull the plug (reset button doesn't work and power button doesn't just switch windows off). Actually the power button does work (it just shut it down but firefox restored what I've just typed)...

and so... it sucks. What do I do?

KennyJC said:

I'm using prboom AND prboomplus, and fuhquake and winquake
does it with all of them (i think).

Winquake worked fine on my XP back in the day.

Try reinstalling or updating your graphics (card) drivers.

leileilol said:

Also this only happens on GEFORCE cards because nvidia sucks. try -dibonly

Like ATI is better.

winquake and doom95 are okay for the game, for mods zdoom and chocolate doom for the mods that dont work in zdoom.Also get GLquake and try that for quake mods that have graphical problems in winquake.

kristus said:

Like ATI is better.

ATI doesn't screw up old DirectX support and also doesn't screw up VESA bios extensions.

This problem has been happening since the Geforce256. Its management of legacy VGA modes is so poor even when you get a nice text-mode BSOD in 9x with a GF card it'll freeze black to the point of no return.

Holy Christ the same(like) thing is happening to me now. My screen goes black when I launch Darkplaces, ezquake or ZDaemon. I can still function the game and quite through the in-game menu through sound but no picture.

I'm also an ATI user.