Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Larzuk

Possible to record demos in zdoom?

As the question says. I prefere to use zdoom and would like to know if its possible to record demos.

I would use prboom but I hate no being able to use the mouse scroll to switch weapons. Atually since it seems only the numbers switch weapons I would have to completely switch my controls, which isnt easy for me to do...

Yes it is. It is accomplished the same as on other ports. however there is no continuity from revision to revision on zdoom.

Recording zDoom demos is possible but futile, as each new revision renders it unplayable. You would practically have to include the zDoom version used with the demo to make sure people could play it.

Using the mouse wheel to scroll is pointless anyway. Your demo would be sorta boring to watch if we had to wait like 5 seconds every time you wanted to use a particular gun.

I never wait around when I scroll through my guns. Anyways I only use about 4 different weapons anyways so not much scrolling needed.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know zdoom can do this. What are the commands to record and play?

You must use a command line. Here is an example:

zdoom.exe -file thewadyouwanttoplaywith.wad -record nameyouwantofthedemo.lmp

Just remember, this demo you make will work with, and only with, the same version of zdoom.

This is why I use a Doom compatible key setup. Then it works on any engine and its easy to add a key for jumping or whatever if necessary.

er,hit me if I'm wrong,but the demos are still incompatible with other versions / engines,as the additional fields used to record jumps and looking up / down are still inside the demo (although they are empty).
Besides,your key setup has nothing to do with demos,as they don't record pressed keys but movement commandos (like walk forward for 40 tics,press open,change pitch by 20 degrees up and so on)

If that is a reply to what I said, I was talking about not having problems switching from one engine to another. If (like Larzuk) your setup is incompatible with PrBoom, Chocolate Doom, Doom, and so on, you can't properly use them to play or record. A Doom compatible setup can easily be reproduced using other engines (which usually allow more key controller customization).