Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Who's good at making Quake maps?

I know I should ask on a Quake forum (I have), but I thought it might help to get a doomers perspective on these problems. Cos I'm getting pissed off with it.

Are there any editors for Q1 that are on a par with Doombuilder for Doom? I can't even zoom in/out with the mouse wheel - I have to click the zoom icon, do the stuff, then click the selection icon again! That's not all... lots of things of that nature just make the whole thing tedious.

And take an empty room for example - it has 6 brushes and if you want to do something as simple as resize the room, then you have to select each one individually in as much as 3 different tiny windows.

I know a lot of it will be practice, but I get a feeling I'm just repeating bad habits in a shitty editor.

@lei: lol, thats just the stupid userbase. It works really well for me. I remade E1M1 in Quake 2 with very few glitches (a few holes when i incorrectly tagged a block).

Quark is one of the most excellent Quake based mapping tools that I have ever come across. Plus you can use it for Quake 2-4, Half-Life (1 and 2)*, Torque, and other games with similar BSP engines.

*Support is still a bit iffy here, but it works.

Note that the forums on this project are a little quiet, but new releases are still coming out periodically.

There are some good editors for Quake. Really all you can do, is grab the available editors and see if there's on you like by actually trying them.

You can try WorldCraft 1.6a, which is available on this page

leileilol mentioned BSP. I messed around with BSP 96e a month ago and it seems to be pretty good. I need to spend more time with it though.

QuArK I never liked much but lots of people like it.

There is also Tread3D, which is available right here.

I say try them all. Luck with that.

Gtkradiant has mousewheel zoom.
Unfortunately, there is no all-encompassing Quake editor that makes mapping as comfortable as DoomBuilder, so you really have to try a few of them to find out which one suits you best, as Doom Dude said.
Each editor has its advantages and disadvantages, and quirks of its own to get used to. Many people use(d) Worldcraft 1.6a for example - not because it's the best editor out there but just out of habit. In any case, you won't get around learning shortcuts for faster use.

I personally prefer Quest - a fairly non-standard editor though.

btw: Every editor lets you select multiple brushes at once in one way or another - there is no need to click each brush individually (which would make mapping a pain indeed).

I find mapping GTKRadiant to be easier than DoomBuilder... or more enjoyable I'm not sure but I prefer it.

@Jello: In Radiant you hold down SHIFT and then you can select multiple "brushes" in one go. I do agree with you though, that it is more complicated than DoomBuilder, but after a while so much easier.

I've always used worldcraft/hammer editor for it. I don't think there's anything like doom builder for quake, since you're working in a 3D environment, you pretty much have to have several views. It takes alot of time to get used to, but I've been using it since 98 or so, and I'm pretty good with it. I use it more for half-life mapping though, I haven't made a quake map since 03 or so. Once you get used to having three views it actually becomes really easy though, I had a hell of a time mapping with doom builder, having to punch in numbers for height variations got confusing at times, I like just being able to resize a solid. Plus with the 3d view you can see whatever it is your making as you go along. Not being able to zoom with the mousewheel would be really annoying though, I use that all the time. What kind of mouse do you have? I use one of those logitech laser mouses and it works great. I've tried Quark and GTKradiant, but I never got the hang of it. In worldcraft you can just hold down the control key and you can select multiple solids at the same time. Just try several of them and see which one you like, and keep practicing with it, however none of them are going to be as simple as doom builder, since the games are 3d.

Qoole is about as comfortable as it gets, made by the same programmer as WadEd.. but much like it's predecessor it's buggy as hell, especially with copy and pasting.. crashes frequently (although it backs up your work beforehand) and offsets brushes, entities and light sources every so often. I'm not sure about Qoole 99, the last version that was released but from what I remember it's a beta version and more than likely prone to the same quirkiness.

I've contemplated messing around with Quake mapping. Seems like it'd be an interesting change from Doom mapping, without the large amount of work needed to get back into Doom 3 mapping again.

I'm pretty accustomed to using (GTK)Radiant, but I can't be bothered to figure out how to get it to work with the original Quake. WorldCraft would probably be my second editor of choice. I'm pretty sure that's relatively easy to figure out.

Ed said:

Qoole is about as comfortable as it gets, made by the same programmer as WadEd.. but much like it's predecessor it's buggy as hell, especially with copy and pasting.. crashes frequently (although it backs up your work beforehand) and offsets brushes, entities and light sources every so often. I'm not sure about Qoole 99, the last version that was released but from what I remember it's a beta version and more than likely prone to the same quirkiness.

I liked Qoole. It was the first editor I used but like you say, it has it bugs. I stopped using it after it ate some of my HeXen II maps. Very annoying...