Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captainblue

Wanting criticism/advice on my mapping

I'll spare the details on my map-in-progress, but here's the basics: It takes place in a mine on Phobos. Does anyone have thoughts/advice on the following areas the level will be composed of:

Admin Building: Where all records, job applications, etc. are handled. This will have a high-tech look, but it won't look like the labs or anything. The way I see it, the UAC would want to make this look pretty since it's what most people would see, so it'll be wide open and have a lot of deco.

Laboratory: Lab where new mining equipment is designed. It will be much closer fighting than the Admin Building, and be packed with computers and such.

Mining Site: The rocky area where mining is done. This will be almost completely natural (which could be tough, since I'm better with man-made structures) and have a lot of tunnels, plus a few elevators (mine lifts).

Mine Building: The building where the mining equipment is operated. The building itself will look similar to the early Knee Deep in the Dead levels, and I'll try to make the machinery look good (I've already got plans for pistons and a giant drill).

Anyway, I've started work on the admin building. I've got three rooms done, and would like to know what people think about what they see so far.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/658/doom0000mz0.png
In a side hallway. Through the window, you can see the security room where the player starts.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/391/doom0001ll8.png
Same hallway, looking into a large room that will act as a sort of hub for the Admin Building.

Not bad. Also not much to go on yet from the 2 screens. You're gonna get a bunch of clowns saying MORE DETAIL here in a bit but ignore them, focus on making the layout interesting first. There's a billion mine type levels so try and make yours stand out, having this much varied architecture like labs and external buildings will help.

i say forget super detail. Your map looks pretty good. keep up the work. I dont use much detail in my maps, and many people here will say that you need more of it, but dont listen to them.

Any way i hope to see aa completed wad man... Good job!

Looks good for a start. I agree with 3d. Make sure to get the gameplay and layout of the map good. Then worry about detail.

I think you should refrain from using STARGR2 textures around the walls. Try to make it look less spacious too, like, add some ceiling lamps things, or some vents or whatnot. Its cool though.

Xaechireon said:

I think you should refrain from using STARGR2 textures around the walls. Try to make it look less spacious too, like, add some ceiling lamps things, or some vents or whatnot. Its cool though.

Thanks, but what texturew would you suggest in STARGR2's place? I personally didn't like STARGR2 that much, but couldn't think of better textures for the Admin Building.

Looks good from that. You need to break up the wall textures a bit, though. Its a bit funky having the same texture repeated 40billion times along a map. Use other STARxxx textures or even the SUPPORT and DOORTRAK to break it up a bit.

Again, focus on the fun value of your map, then worry about detail as detail is typically important, though you don't need to go overboard, just a few vents here and there to break up the otherwise flat and dull ceiling, a few break ups in the textures never hurts, or have a few spots where the wall indents and there are lights or some other form of decoration...

...atmosphere is the word I'm looking for.

So yes, work on your map, make sure it is fun for you, that the enemies, weapons and other items are balanced out well etc. Then once you like the feel of that, go back and please yourself with some eye candy. :)

The admin area is mostly finished - everything is roughed out, but I still need to add some detail and monsters. In the meantime, have a look at these completed rooms:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8011/doom0004ap8.png
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/129/doom0005pe8.png

This isn't the very best that I've made - I'm keeping that a secret until the level comes out - but it's definitely some of my better stuff.

pretty nice. in the second screenshot it looks as if you have a CRATOP flat as the ceiling. id suggest some stony looking flat to match the GRAY texture border thing.

Butts said:

pretty nice. in the second screenshot it looks as if you have a CRATOP flat as the ceiling. id suggest some stony looking flat to match the GRAY texture border thing.

Agreed. Personally I think that CRATOP looks pretty bad when used for anything other than a crate; it only has two shades of gray/tan in it, just like the crate textures, and as a result it just looks very flat and boring when used by itself.

On your latest post, both screenshots look really good. I'd like to suggest that you do the same thing in your first screenshot that you did in your second, and thats make a sector inside the floor that descends like 8 units. I think almost any map in the world would look better if the floors had a little descending sector inside of it.

In your first post, I suggest your first screenshot could use some wall details, Like the computer screens in this picture:

http://alcopop.org/games/doom/doomnoir.png

Except bigger. You could probably throw in some pillars in that big room too.

Posting this mainly to make sure I don't bump it when it becomes old.

I'm still at work on the map, gotten a bit lazy lately but I'm making up for it. I have the labs almost finished. If I had to estimate, I'd say the architecture was about 40% done. Should have a screenshot of the lab area before too long.

Captainblue said:

Posting this mainly to make sure I don't bump it when it becomes old.

Smart.
There's no worse feeling than watching your own thread die a slow and painful death.

Another bump to make sure the thread doesn't get too old. The good news is that I'm close to finished with the architecture, having only a few rooms left to finish. The bad news is, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what goes next. I'll have the map up for download before too long, though.