Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomLord

Nightmare- skill = !!!

Oh men, this skill REALLy bites!
Always trying to finish the E1M3 (where I survived), but always some monster kills me. Shotgun guys have supernatural accuracy, imps suck and demons are ultra- fast. Worst still, damage that you take is increased if you compare the skill to UV.

Is there anyone that has completed some episode or plays usually levels with Nightmare, without saving continuously or breaking computer, and completing the levels? Any So-good-veteran players here?
Also, experiences of that skill, if you have, please.

Watching a demo helps. I started from e1m1 and had no problem finishing it till e1m3. Then I tried 8 or more unsuccessful runs (pistolstart) on e1m3. Watching Anders Johnsen taking the shotgun and then taking cover in the startroom was all I needed. Next run successful in 2:15, I had to go back for health after taking serious barrel damage. Never played maps on nightmare mode until recently I did it on "the hazard variation."

Went through Plutonia...

Wait, nvm. Saves.

Um. Ok, I haven't done a straight set through any doom game on Nightmare. Its nearly Impossible. I think its one hell of an achievement to do something like that. I'm still trying. Last time I did it, I was halfway through Episode 1 on Doom. Damn demon. :(

Non-Fanatic_Doom_Fan said:

I got things like work, and a girlfriend

...And? You're not the only one here with a job and a love life.

DoomLord said:

Shotgun guys have supernatural accuracy.

Their aim always sucks. It's the fact that they fire shotguns (a spreadfire weapon) that means you take more damage.

Yeah actually damage is not increased in Nightmare mode. Everything is just a hundred times harder to avoid, so you take more damage. Even pistol guys are dangerous, as they turn into hyperactive gun turrets. The only difficulty with tweaked damage is ITYTD, in which you take half damage.

yomoneyboat said:
...And? You're not the only one here with a job and a love life.

Then how about "Doom is not actually fun on nightmare mode"

Seriously, other then boosts to your e-peen, I don't know why anyone would bother with it.

Captain Red said:

Then how about "Doom is not actually fun on nightmare mode"

Seriously, other then boosts to your e-peen, I don't know why anyone would bother with it.

Agreed. Nightmare is for masochists.

Nightmare isn't even fun to play cause it's just a damn rush to get to the exit, but thats just my 2 cents.

Nightmare is more fun in Quake, no monster respawning, but it doesn't really make it harder, it's more like Idiot skill :P

Captain Red said:

Hm....DMGM and DMGAK titles anyone? :-p

(Seriously, when was the last time ANYONE bothered officially acquiring them or checking someone's claims over them?)

Skill 5 is pretty awesome. Not only does it give the game a lot more general playability and speed running possibilities with its increased toughness and vertigo (being quite fitting for plain runs to the exit or runs visiting secret areas), but it's also the skill to use for DeathMatch, as it doubles ammo pickups without affecting damage.

Plus there's nothing better than Nightmare to really hone your ingame reflexes and your alertness simultanously.

sidarmas said:
Um. Ok, I haven't done a straight set through any doom game on Nightmare. Its nearly Impossible. I think its one hell of an achievement to do something like that. I'm still trying. Last time I did it, I was halfway through Episode 1 on Doom. Damn demon. :(

Episode 1 is pretty tough because there are many shotgunners, making E1M3 and E1M5 particularly rough. Try using the Chaingun a lot to mow them down before they can hurt you with their fast reflexes. Keep in mind the game is giving you twice as much ammo plus what any respawned Zombiemen drop, so you'll be able to use it considerably more than in skill 4.

Inferno said:
Nightmare isn't even fun to play cause it's just a damn rush to get to the exit, but thats just my 2 cents.

You're obviously not going to play it the first couple of passes through a level. But the fun in DOOM is harldy reduced to visiting every area in the level every time, or spending time looking at the texture alignments on the walls.

Perhaps some people don't spend enough time on the levels they play to consider playing them in different ways and in a more sportlike manner. They move on from one area to the other, possibly using save games to avoid replaying areas, and then just move on to the next user made level. They are almost exclusively in the "exploratory" phase of playing a level, and its not surprising they are afraid of skill 5. It's fun to check out a level, but the most fun thing about a game is when you can go at it repeatedly, genuinely playing it as a game.

myk said:

Perhaps some people don't spend enough time on the levels they play to consider playing them in different ways and in a more sportlike manner. They move on from one area to the other, possibly using save games to avoid replaying areas, and then just move on to the next user made level. They are almost exclusively in the "exploratory" phase of playing a level, and its not surprising they are afraid of skill 5. It's fun to check out a level, but the most fun thing about a game is when you can go at it repeatedly, genuinely playing it as a game.

I've always enjoyed playing doom as a game, fast-paced and saving often. Episode 1 has been particularly fun with nightmare, the adrenaline levels rise off the scale when you see demons running towards you in multi-speed. It's a good training for reflexes as well. Episodes 2-3 are actually fairly playable and even easy in the later levels with NM skill but when playing episode 4, doom2 etc. it gets a LOT harder. I first remember playing through episode 2 on nightmare already back in 1996 with a pc speaker and a 486 laptop with 4mb RAM which made the game choppy in certain parts. But with saving and growing my buttocks for hours in a dark room the effort finally paid off. :D That really kept the adrenaline level of a 13-year old high for a long time.

Nightmare is fun, at least on some maps. A lot of older maps are deadly dull to play in standard ways, and NM can often totally galvanize the gameplay. On some maps it does make it a rather unrewarding ordeal, but no one is forcing anyone to play them in this way. NM is just an extra option that works well sometimes and not in others.

There's really no "e-penis" business here, at least not among those who have given NM tasks a serious go. If you look at the comments from recorders who play a lot of NM, many of them are self-critical, and almost all are respectful towards other recorders.

Moved to the Demos forum, since it ~90% belongs there.

Grazza said:
On some maps it does make it a rather unrewarding ordeal, but no one is forcing anyone to play them in this way.

In those that draw their difficulty from providing little health, especially.

Non-Fanatic_Doom_Fan said:

I got things like work, and a girlfriend

I'm glad you found time to talk about it on the internet.

The best one is the guy who ran through Doom2 in just under 30 minutes in a single run on nightmare. Shame there is nobody trying to do it faster.

myk said:
Skill 5 is pretty awesome. Not only does it give the game a lot more general playability and speed running possibilities with its increased toughness and vertigo (being quite fitting for plain runs to the exit or runs visiting secret areas)...

Plus there's nothing better than Nightmare to really hone your ingame reflexes and your alertness simultanously.

QFT, this is one of the most compelling reasons for me to keep playing doom; as long as I've been playing doom (not wads), the challenge from nightmare has always been there. The first decade it always seemed impossible -- just to see how far you got -- but now I've barely beaten doom 2 and ep 1-3 on NM.
Also, I can't recall playing another FPS that's as fast and intense as doom on NM, that's fun for me (then again I'm someone who's interested in hardcore/ironman modes and bosses like this).

Does anyone know if this is a legitimate single run through in nightmare, or cheating with slow motion or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIy8gGq4RA

Even if its with cheating its extremely impressive, but I doubt it is cheating, as I know some of these doom gods seem to be absolutely insane cyborgs. That guy must have 15 brains. It's probably Kim Peek playing or something, ha ha.

It's a little hard to tell given YouTube's (lack of) quality, but I believe that's 30nm2956, a non-TAS run.

From the text file pasted there on the video info it seems to be Vile's 31:59 run.

tool assisted is mostly a work of patience and nitpicking as you can redo every single millisecond if you wish so. So I wouldnt call it insane but rather entertaining :)

It's quite different with non-tas demos ...

the iron hitman said:

This one, by andrey budko...

That was cool. I think it was ultra violence.

Was nightmare but tool assisted. I dunno much about demo's, but there is a non TAS one that was completed in 33:42 but I don't remember the author. Still all speedruns are insane in my eyes :)

The fastest regular (i.e. non-TAS) Nightmare run through the whole of Doom2 is Vile's amazing 30nm2956. The best TAS 30nm is still Sedlo's 30nm1849, which was made before a number of route improvements were discoevered, most significantly (in terms of time-saving), Sedlo's own shortcut on map07.

Please note that direct time comparisons before Sedlo's TAS runs and the later ones that have been released are problematic, as Sedlo used TASMBF (with slightly different behaviour in some respects) and no strafe-50 automation.

Nightmare! to any other mode of play is what paintball is to real combat. If you haven't played on NM!, you haven't played DOOM, period.

Ha! did you really think you could conquer the forces of Hell with a shotgun and high tech? "Thou canst not kill that which doth not live" ...

No, you can't win, but you can run. :D