Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karthik

Battle Those Yomi Demons!

Pablo Dictter and Tobias Münch have released a project called Hatomo Battles The Yomi Demons, which is an episode of ten singleplayer maps for ZDoom, done in Doom II-style. The levels were created from late 2004-present, and the episode's soundtrack is composed by Damian Lee.

The episode is exclusively available for download at the mappers' websites — big empty space (Pablo) and kotogoto (Tobias). While downloading the episode, you can have a look at some screenshots courtesy Pablo, and peek at Tobias' project page for some interesting trivia.

I played 6 levels through and I have to say this wad has a ton of personality in it. Sometimes I play some flashy doom2 wads that get great acclaim but they never seem to be this fun to play.

Great wad guys

I've played few the first few levels and I have to say its a great wad to play. I enjoy the classic look and feel while it still looks excellent.

I liked the classic Doom 2 feeling and look to it, but the one thing I DID NOT enjoy was the amount of clustered rooms in each map. I felt claustraphobic throughout the whole episode.

I'm stuck near the end of level 46. I entered the room that required the red key and the door closed and locked behind me. I can't open the door to the exit room, either. What am I missing? Must be something simple since nobody else mentioned it.

I couldn't figure that out either. I just noclipped after several minutes of wall humping and wasting ammo looking for a shootable switch.

Megalyth said:

I couldn't figure that out either. I just noclipped after several minutes of wall humping and wasting ammo looking for a shootable switch.

Starting from an earlier saved game, I retraced my steps and by accident figured out how to exit the level. Once you open the red key door, you don't want to go through it because it will close behind you and trap you in that room. Instead, I opened the red key door but did not go in. As monsters teleported into the room, I mowed them all down from the doorway. Then I went around to the *other* door to the room (on the east side) and entered there. To my surprise, the exit door in the back had opened.

Map 46 has a weird feature that may or may not be related to this. You can't see it unless you use noclipping (or maybe there is a secret entrance I missed), but in the corner of the red lava rock area in the middle of the map there is a Commander Keen. When I noclipped into that area and shot him, that also opened the exit door.

when you go into the red key room, and the doors close, you have to kill the barons and then the doors will open along with the exit door, and some more monsters will pop in there after that too.

shouldn't have made the triggers that close the door i guess.

and for the ones that complained the wad wasnt uploaded to the archives, i think tobias will do that sometime, or maybe he already did. i don't know. i wasn't going to do it, but because its also his project, he wanted to so whatever.

and it would be awesome to have it reviewed ismaele. :-)

pabloD said:

when you go into the red key room, and the doors close, you have to kill the barons and then the doors will open along with the exit door, and some more monsters will pop in there after that too.

I killed every monster in that room including the ones that popped in there afterwards, but the doors remained closed. I had to load an earlier saved game and use a different approach as noted above. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using Zdoom 2.1.7.

By the way, what was that Commander Keen doing in this map?? Part of a secret I missed?

P.S. Somebody should post a secrets list for this set of levels. I just finished map 47, but I only found 1 out of 4 secrets.

Oldfukka said:

I killed every monster in that room including the ones that popped in there afterwards, but the doors remained closed. I had to load an earlier saved game and use a different approach as noted above. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using Zdoom 2.1.7.

By the way, what was that Commander Keen doing in this map?? Part of a secret I missed?

P.S. Somebody should post a secrets list for this set of levels. I just finished map 47, but I only found 1 out of 4 secrets.

i am using the same zdoom version, but this is very strange stuff. what if you use the "kill monsters" command on zdoom? maybe a baron decided not to pop in there? another thing is that i never tested any other skill setting except for 2 & 4, so if you are playing in skill 3, then maybe that will give issues i bet.

as for commander keen. thats just for fun. sometimes i like to explore maps in games and go off limits to see what they have in there. you should try looking for the alternative exit route in map49! (its more of a secret route, since the path was for a secret map) :-)

oh yes, thanks everyone that played the episode. i thought was going to be either forgotten or just completly ignored :-)

Pablo, Those of us that played and thoroughly enjoyed every one of your Doom and Heretic maps know better than to ignore any map that you are involved in. It is certainly icing on the cake to have Tobias involved as well. What else but a great map set would come out of a couple of really talented mappers like you guys. Thanks.

Just giving due credit.

pabloD said:

oh yes, thanks everyone that played the episode. i thought was going to be either forgotten or just completly ignored :-)

I agree with Searcher; any levels that you and/or Tobias are involved in will not be ignored. I hope the problem I had with map 46 doesn't give anyone a wrong impression. It was a very minor problem in an otherwise entertaining and top notch set of levels. I just wish I could find half the secrets....

I had the same problem as the other Doomers in map46: when I entered the final arena from the door locked with the Red Key, I couldn't reach the exit, even after killing all the monsters! Loading a previous savegame, I found the other route, that worked good. I think it's just a bug: the trap should be kept, but the exit door shouldn't be closed together with the other ones! BTW: have you fixed it, Pablo and Tobias?! That bug would lower the assessment relative to gameplay, in my review!
I also noticed a minor bug in one of the next levels, but I don't remember which one: there's a door, that can be opened only once from the same side, so if you don't enter it soon, you can't enter it anymore.

uploaded a new version and you can get it from my website (tobias as well). and re-uploaded it to the idgames archives too, only because tobias wanted it there.

http://doom2.net/~schlemiel/levels/yomi.zip

changed the idea of the room in map46, there wont be any more monster spawning, just 3 barons and once you kill them, the exit door will open.

if the exit door doesn't open after you kill the barons, then i give up. :-)

i also fixed the bars that exit door & lowering bars on map50, now its just a simple open/closing door. i had forgotten about it, since it was going to be something for the 2nd half of that map, but since i never got that 2nd half finished, i guess i just forgot.

thats it. hopefully there are no more issues now.

Cool, thanks for the fix.

Like Oldfukka said, the bug wasn't a showstopper or anything. This is a great levelset.

Truly awesome. I can't remember the last time I felt such a perfect balance of ammo and health (plenty of sergeants but I don't find myself constantly at 100 shells, no stupid megasphere every other level, etc.), and the introductions of each boss monster (specifically manc and up) were memorable. Also a great balance of detail and "still looks like doom".

I did see something else that seemed to be a bug though. If you open the door with the red key on Map50, then back away and let it close, there doesn't seem to be a way back inside (zdoom 1.1.7). Sorry if this was just me not looking hard enough, but it seemed to contradict the smooth linear flow enough that I figured it couldn't have been intentional.

Anyway, excellent, excellent work.