Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

Doom Extreme Gold

To all of you new into the Doom scene, how many of you have ever played Doom Extreme Gold!? It was always one of the most off the hook TC's I have ever played! (And it was rather original for its time)
What do YOU think of it?

udderdude said:

Sounds like it might be one of those generic WAD compilation CDs .. never heard of it either.

Edit: Or is this dubious looking mod? removed

Yeah, it's that dubious looking mod, and I haven't had the willpower to play it beyond the second map. Furthermore, the levels themselves are ripped from somewhere else (I recently played that 'somewhere else' but I don't recall exactly which PWAD it was) and even has ripped heretic enemies, while most enemies have zillions of health. Just horrible.

I remember playing Doom2xtreme and Doom2xtremegold years ago. I had fun with them back then.I had downloaded them from the author's web site, now long gone it seems like.

I recently downloaded them both again and not so sure about the Doom2xtreme version but I swear the Gold version has been changed. Different weapons, traps and monsters that I dont think were around back then have been added to the wad.

I just got the general feeling that certain things and gameplay were different. Could just be me and my bad memory but .....

Anyone else notice this?

I haven't played mine in a while nor have I downloaded the one at DWS to compare.

They did say they were going to rebuild the mapset so there is a chance that it might have happened.

When I first played them back in the early 2000s, I though they were the greatest wads ever, but alas, I've grown up, and they don't really seem so special anymore. The guns are just superfast and the enemies have a lot of health, plus the stolen levels and music, etc.

I liked it at first, but then the ridiculous numbers (damage, etc) it operates with ticked me off. Later I discovered that the entire WAD is just stolen resources, levels included, and then I deleted it.

For its time it was pretty cool twist on the doom exe! After just recently playing it I can say I'm not as impressed as I used to be...
BTW where were the levels stolen from?

The levels, with the exception of just one I believe, were taken from a variety of sources like CD's, archives etc. The text file for each one is included with the map set. Each text file approves the use of the map as a base for building additional maps. So, the maps were used as approved and not stolen. Not sure why some people perpetuate the claim that they were stolen.

The link I posted a few posts above talks about it.

In their day I really enjoyed all the various mapsets that were done by Chuck Lai. They don't seem quite as cool these days but I played every mapset hundreds of times. I do on a rare occasion play them with a port these days.

There is something very comfortable about replaying maps you have played hundreds of times.

I've never heard of this before. I downloaded it and the first level is tnt.wad map05. Looks like a fairly bog-standard forgettable mishmash of crap.

Searcher said:
The text file for each one is included with the map set.

Where? You're referring either to another wad, or to a distribution package that isn't linked to here.

Each text file approves the use of the map as a base for building additional maps. So, the maps were used as approved and not stolen. Not sure why some people perpetuate the claim that they were stolen.

Without bothering to check each level and where it comes from, as far as I know none of Mike Reed's levels may be used by other authors, and the Eternal Doom status bar appearing on the screen shots may not be used either. Not to mention stuff taken from other games (Hexen, Final DOOM, etc.)

The wad is a piece of shit and people should play the original levels it's ripping, instead.

Confirmed to contain illegal content, so links removed and thread closed.

And moved to WADs and Mods, FWIW.