Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
shinobi.cl

Footsteps on ZDoom?

Hi i just wanted to ask... well..i guess you all know what is....

Footsteps are anti-doom for me, (like crouching), but, anyway, i want to know how its done. But more importantly, your experience as mappers using this feature.

...If exists at all.

It definetly exists. Just try out Knee-Deep in ZDoom for an example. It's not every step, but every time you land on a different surface (either walking down onto it or jumping).

Some mods add "proper" footsteps that are activated each time you move, but they sound like crap as sometimes (always) the sound is displayed for a second and a half after you stopped moving, ruining the realism they aimed to acquire.

Crouching can be effective on single player, where nobody else sees you. But in mp, no matter if you use the "marine crouching sprite" (ST), or the shrinking effect, it just looks odd.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I did have an idea on this once.
DeHackEd: Change the player object's attack sound to "player/footstepsound", where "footstepsound" is a randomized entry in SNDINFO, and change the pointers (probably requires BEX extensions) for the frames that display PLAYA and PLAYC to "Play attack sound".

SNDINFO:
$random player/footstepsound {player/fs1 player/fs2 player/fs3}
player/fs1 DSFOOTS1
player/fs2 DSFOOTS2
player/fs3 DSFOOTS3

etc.

Speaking of footsteps, is there any way to replicate the duke3d effect of bloody footprints when you step in blood for a few steps afterwards?

um...may be complicated, but doable with some ACS scripting and Actor Enters Sector script activator things.