Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Are there any editors that have this function?

To raise/lower multiple selected sectors by certain amounts?

I have to raise an entire room that has a lot of sectors within it, and it really will take quite a bit of time to alter sector heights individually. It just sounds as though what I'm asking is quite a simple thing and would be surprised if no editor has thought of it.

Doom Builder has raise/lower the floor/ceiling by 8. I don't know for sure if you can adjust the heights of multiple sectors by any amount other than 8 at a time, but there is that at least.

1. Are you asking how to raise all sectors by the same amount, or do you need to raise them by different amounts?
    1A. If they are all to be raised by the same amount, assign them the same sector tag and have a linedef raise the sectors associated with that tag by the amount specified. You may need to use a source port with scripting if you're raising the sectors by a height that is not supported by vanilla DooM/2 (see 4, below). If you need to raise the sectors by different amounts you will need a source port, unless you assign different triggering linedefs to the different sectors that need to be raised.
    2. Do they all need to be raised at the same time and by the same action (i.e., a switch, crossing a line, etc.)?
    2A. If they are all to be raised by the same height, and that height is supported by vanilla DooM/2, then this is not a problem. If you need to raise them at different times, or by different heights, then you will need a source port.
    3. Do you need to raise the floors as well as the ceilings?
    3A. This can be done in vanilla DooM/2 only if you use different linedefs to trigger the actions. If you need a single linedef (e.g., a switch), you will need a source port.
    4. Do you want the floors raised by a specific amount or by specific amounts (e.g., all sector up by 48 units, or sectors A, B, and C by 72 units but sectors D, E, and F by 32 units?
    4A. If the specific amount is not one that is supported by vanilla DooM/2 you will need a source port. Vanilla DooM/2 have very specific height configurations for raising or lowering sectors.
Depending on the answers to these questions, you will know whether you will need to use a source port or if vanilla DooM/2 will suffice. As far as I know, editors that use the configuration for DooM/2 all offer the same linedef specials. In other words, you're not likely to find one editor that allows you to raise the floor by, say, 50 units while other editors do not.

The bottom line is that any limitation you face in the ability to selectively raise or lower sectors is a function of vanilla DooM/2 rather than any editor.

rex: I didn't make myself clear enough. What I mean is to raise the sectors within the editor rather than in the game itself.

I have a room which I want to be on the same level as the corridor, but I built the room before I decided I was going to attach it to that corridor... so the room is quite a bit lower and needs to be raised on level with. And if there is no way to raise all that floors/ceilings at once within all the sectors then it's going to take about 30 minutes work to do it manually.

Ichor: Not sure if you have misunderstood me also... The room has many sectors which are mostly different heights, and I want to raise them in uniform so that they maintain their differences, but when I select them all and raise by 8, it just flattens the room... unless I am missing another way of raising without flattening the room.

I've been in this same situation myself many times (mainly in stairs or cave sections), and what I used there seemed to work fine. I just selected all of the sectors I wanted to raise, and it would raise them all by 8, so sectors with a ceiling of 32 would be 40, and sectors with a ceiling of 64 would then be 72. Raising the floor like this works the same way.

You can also type ++32 or ++128 or however much you want to raise in the ceiling or floor height boxes. It will raise them by 32 or 128 or whatever you want.

KennyJC said:

rex: I didn't make myself clear enough. What I mean is to raise the sectors within the editor rather than in the game itself.

Ah, I get it now. Between Ichor and exl the solution has presented itself, and it also seems that you discovered it on your own.