Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

TMNT mini figure madness

These are two mini action figures that I made specifically for a TMNT custom figure contest at the Technodrome Forums. I finished them in early July (immediately after the Quake: SoA Gremlin). I haven't been able to share them until now because of one of the contest rules stipulating that the artists have to remain anonymous until the contest/voting ends (to prevent favoritism amongst forum members). Anyway, here they are:

Mother Mouser (with Foot Soldier driver & three 'normal' mousers); a sub-boss from the NES video game TMNT III: The Manhattan Project:

Construction:

Reference (game sprite):

Webpage with more information (dimensions, materials used, background story, etc.):

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/mother_mouser.html

Motorhead (an obscure villain character--he appeared in the Winter 1992 issue of TMNT Magazine):

Construction:

Reference (comic page scan):

Webpage with more information (dimensions, materials used, background story, etc.):

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/motorhead.html

And, lastly, I didn't win the contest, in case you're wondering (the Mother Mouser came in 2nd, and Motorhead tied for 4th with three other entries). The prize was a convention-exclusive TMNT comic book. If you wish to see the other entries for said contest, they can be viewed here:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=21375

I saw this on the spawn boards good work. herd that you were beaten by a krang, mind posting a link to your competitors work. I wanna see what you were up against. it must have been amazing or just a more interesting character to have out did your work. was there a prize involved in this contest? I have a feeling you should have been the victor.

nice. it's a shame you didn't win that contest, seeing as how all those were just customized versions of existing action figures and you made those from scratch.

I don't mind customizing action figures, but the krang was pretty lame cuz he just put the original krang on what I believe is the spider legs that attached to the head of mr. freeze from the batman animated series and that armaggon is just a superman figure with it's eyes and nails painted red. but anyway....

BTW, great job on the samael figure. looks fantastic.

What's with the super small minitures as of late? I mean, I appreciate how much harder it is to sculpt/build something of smaller size, but why that over something of greater size?

Shapeless: First off, Krang did not, I repeat DID NOT win; it only got one vote. I don't know why everybody on the Spawn forum is saying that. "Same as it never was" Michaelangelo won with 16 votes. Check the thread and see for yourself (the link to the contest voting page is at the bottom of my first post in this thread). The prize was a TMNT exclusive comic book, but I don't know anything more specific about it.

Coopersville:
The prototype I started out with was kind of a personal challenge to myself: I wanted to see if I could make a teeny, articulated figure. Shortly thereafter, Gremlin got itself an Armagon mini figure for Christmas, and it snowballed from there.

There are several benefits to mini figures:

1. They use less materials, saving me money (which in truth, is a fairly negligible point, as they cost me next to nothing to make as it is). If nothing else, they make a bottle of paint go a lot farther.

2. They take up a lot less space. I collect toys, in addition to making my own, and I'm drowning in them. I've got hundreds of figures on shelves, hanging on the walls mint-in-package, stored in boxes, on the floor, in dresser drawers, all over my computer monitor/tower/keyboard, everywhere--it's nuts. The last seven figures I made, combined, take up less space than my Quake Gremlin and all of its accessories.

3. Smaller figures make vehicles/playsets more realistic/feasible, both in terms of size and time. The Mother Mouser would have been huge (almost 1:1 scale with a 'real' Mouser I'd say) if I had made my Foot Soldier the 7-8 inch scale I had been doing up until recently.

4. Working on a small scale forces me to improves my small-detail work, which should result in even better detail on larger figures. Before I started these, I would have told you that some of the tiny things I've made were impossible to do with paper/cardboard at this scale.

The only major downsides as I see them are (1) difficulty/frustration in working on such a small scale, (2) the level of detail usually has to be sacrificed a bit to accomodate the size, and (3) it's easy to lose pieces while you're working on them, because they're so tiny. Ubermutant's first chaingun rolled off my computer desk (and I still haven't been able to find it), forcing me to make another one. My theory is that a cockroach stole it, and, some morning, I will be confronted by a cyber-cockroach with an abdomen-mounted chain gun who will demand that I surrender my bowl of cornflakes lest 'somebody gets hurt'.

Oh, now I see the link. don't know how I missed that. next time tell us where the contest is and we'll all vote for you. you don't have to tell us which one is yours...we'll know :D

Intentionally importing people from other MBs, with the foreknowledge that they're going to vote for me, Shapeless, would be cheating, and I'm offended that you would even suggest I would try to 'fix' the outcome of a contest like that. If I can't win legitimately, then I don't want to win at all.

Both figueres are very nice. The mother mouser is familiar, but I never heard of motor head, probably because I never read the comics. What an odd looking character, but great work.

I'm familiar with the Technodrome forums, but I never go there so I was not familiar with this contest. Shame you didn't win because I belive your work is fantastic, you should of won that contest. Maybe next time there will be a different outcome.

MmM said:

"Same as it never was" Michaelangelo won with 16 votes.

So wait, someone who took an action figure, put some sharpie marks on it, gave it a trenchcoat, and titled it with a reference to a Talking Heads song won? Fuck that shit.

EDIT: Ooops, I was thinking of the Ralph, but it's not like the Mike is much different. Either way, a Talking Heads song is referenced which should automatically result in last place. Fuck, I fucking hate the Talking Heads.

I was just joshin with ya MmM. I would only have voted for your's cause it's better. I just find it funny that you mentioned the entries being 'top secret' cause your's just reeks of your signature style. the rest could have been done by anyone. LOL, sorry for offending you.

exp(x) said:

So wait, someone who took an action figure, put some sharpie marks on it, gave it a trenchcoat, and titled it with a reference to a Talking Heads song won? Fuck that shit.

EDIT: Ooops, I was thinking of the Ralph, but it's not like the Mike is much different. Either way, a Talking Heads song is referenced which should automatically result in last place. Fuck, I fucking hate the Talking Heads.

"Same as it Never Was" was an episode of the revamped TMNT cartoon series, kinda like a "Days of Future Past" treatment. the mikey was pretty good for a custom, but I've seen better.

BTW, I think the title of the talking heads song is "Burning Down the House" in which he uses the lyric "same as it ever was"

VileSlay said:

BTW, I think the title of the talking heads song is "Burning Down the House" in which he uses the lyric "same as it ever was"

Hmm, I stand corrected.

However, the Talking Heads still fucking suck.

VileSlay said:

Wrong. It was "Once In A Lifetime" that used that lyric.
AND TALKING HEADS DO NOT FUCKING SUCK.

yomoneyboat said:

No, they do suck, and since I noticed your icon, I should mention that kde sucks, too.

exp(x) said:

No, they do suck

Yeah, they suck. I just did some research to make sure, and it's a scientific fact.

The figures are still as cool as they were the first time I checked this thread, MmM. Keep up the great work.

yomoneyboat said:

Wrong. It was "Once In A Lifetime" that used that lyric.

heh, your right. my bad. don't care much for the talkin heads, but I wouldn't say they sucked. anyway...

back on topic. that mother mouser looks to be a pretty good scale to baxter. was that a happy accident or did you do that purposefully?