Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Risen 3d and Vista

Risen3D does work on Vista but it has its share of problems.

I just got a new computer. (Intel CoreQuad 2.4 GHz with GF8600GT GFX card) and logically ran some tests with different GL ports.

On large maps (e.g. Phobos: Anomaly Reborn) Risen3D is showing a severe breakdown in performance, even with much of the neat effects being disabled (In the starting cave of E1M6 I got 15-20 FPS at 1280x1024.)

That said, the current GZDoom version doesn't run well either but I was able to track down 2 problems that caused the slowdown for me:

1. Vista doesn't seem to like glDrawArrays much, especially if the data is changed frequently.
2. Setting the texture clamping mode repeatedly also causes performance breakdown.

After fixing these 2 issues I got excellent performance on nearly all levels I tested and even having a look from high above on the town in MAP09 of Hellcore (possibly the most demanding scene in any Doom level I have ever seen) runs with 50 fps at 1280x1024.

I hope this information helps Risen3D in some way.

Graf Zahl said:

After fixing these 2 issues I got excellent performance on nearly all levels I tested and even having a look from high above on the town in MAP09 of Hellcore (possibly the most demanding scene in any Doom level I have ever seen) runs with 50 fps at 1280x1024.

Is this going to happen with GZDoom? The array thing almost certainly causes performance problems in certain maps for me.

TheDarkArchon said:

Is this going to happen with GZDoom? The array thing almost certainly causes performance problems in certain maps for me.

My development version runs perfectly now but there's an issue while quitting when an ENDOOM lump is present which I will have to fix before a release.

Vista handles GL a little differently than XP and these problems only show up now. The XP drivers were a little too lax when it came to problematic constructs but with Vista's changed architecture they strike back quite harshly. At least the heavy performance issues that were reported shortly after Vista was released seem to be gone now and GL works fine generally. All problems I discovered so far came from sub-optimally written code that depended on behavior that couldn't be guaranteed.