Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The opening, I think, is very spooky. The monsters are well placed for a good surprise when they attack. I have only gotten so far to the middle of it but have quite enjoyed it thus far. I hope to finish it tonight and start a replay on it. I would sure recommend it. Seems to play just fine on zdoom 217 by the way.

AH of course! Cheogsh! I downloaded it again to refresh myself... I remember I had some things to say about it.

The wad starts out brilliant, it is beautiful and streamlined. it really slows down in the middle however... and I am forced to HATE part of the level... your underground, mapless maze was the worst thing about this map... it actually almost ruined the whole experience for me. Fortunately, it picked up again towards the end... but that segment of the map was a travesty... never do that again. The ending and final castle are fantastic and very epic... but, if you chose to make a sequel... leave out mazes... and if you MUST have one... for the love of god at least let me see it on the automap.

Ah yes... Cheogsh... the wad that took the flame away from my level. :P

Nah, It's a pretty cool map though. And I also didn't care for the maze you had in it. But still, a solid 8/10 from me.

Yes, the maze is challenging for someone who doesn't know a whole level :) But the maze is a "summit" of the city-location...
I promise to make no mazes without automap in Cheogsh 2. But mazes with automap - may be :)

Searcher said:

Seems to play just fine on zdoom 217 by the way.

It uses 3d floors and dynamic lights so you'll have some invisible geometry and really dark areas if you play it in software zdoom.

Anyway I played it when it was in incoming, and it's one of the best maps I've played in a long time. I have to agree with Scuba though, that maze was just terrible (to play that is, the atmosphere in there was actually really spooky which I liked).

KennyJC said:

Any screen shots? I don't wanna download a port to play it :P

Just get off your lazy ass and download the port already, it'll take, what, 5 minutes?

Great wad, Im replaying it for the second time (making three total) for some reason.

KennyJC said:

Any screen shots? I don't wanna download a port to play it :P

There are some screenshots from Cheogsh.wad. They also demonstrate the potential of GZDoom: 3d-floors, dynamic lights...
Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Screen 4

Steeveeo said:

Just get off your lazy ass and download the port already, it'll take, what, 5 minutes?

Great wad, Im replaying it for the second time (making three total) for some reason.

I am dead against ports since the one's I've downloaded previously are shit. And I'm sure as hell not going to download a tenth one.

Maps made for ports also tend to be gimmicky and pointless for Doom. If you wanna make 3d levels then don't bother with Doom for %^%% sake.

You got a problem with that?

Waa waa... new doom stuff is lame, I just want Ep1 remakes for vanilla Doom. Seriously though, Aside from the maze, Cheogsh is a pretty interesting level.

Wow. The style of this map is superb. In the style of BPRD, the map is a colourful new world to explore, with vast open spaces. I really felt as I were exploring a structure of old, and not a "doom level".

The use of dynamic lights were great, but shows off a weakness in GZDoom's rendering engine: Lights are very unoptimized, and could use a lot of work. some lights flicker and pop up, and some lights from other areas next to an area you're in shows on the ceilings and floors.

Csonicgo said:

The use of dynamic lights were great, but shows off a weakness in GZDoom's rendering engine: Lights are very unoptimized, and could use a lot of work. some lights flicker and pop up, and some lights from other areas next to an area you're in shows on the ceilings and floors.

Yes, this is a problem of GZDoom-engine. For example, in JDoom dynamic lights work better! Also in GZDoom you may choose a type of sector light mode: Doom, Standard, Bright, Legacy. Experiment with them! (But I tested my wad with "Standard" sector light mode)

If it werent for the sprite torches, weapon, and HUD, I'd think that that screen was from Quake.

Nice job, again.

Although I can't play it, the screenshots look good, but the "Meet Hot Women In United States!" heading really set the wrong context for properly appreciating them :P

Lüt said:

Although I can't play it, the screenshots look good, but the "Meet Hot Women In United States!" heading really set the wrong context for properly appreciating them :P

Unless it's for impse.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Holy Saint Peter on a cockcycle, a WAD that doesn't lick shit or itch nutsack. Good job.

Visually high quality with a nice feel. I played in zdoom first, walked around for 6 minutes repeatedly rechecking the environment for what I'm supposed to do next and couldn't figure it out. So tried gzdoom, which looks a lot better but has terrible laggy slower control compared to zdoom imo, figuring maybe gzdoom was required to trigger something. But I still couldn't find what I'm supposed to do in a reasonable time frame after the 1st batch of enemies, even after becoming irritated and walking around with iddqd. I don't like puzzle-doom. Also great visuals can cut into the gameplay like near the bezerk you have no obvious way to know you can't navigate around the back of the structure due to an invisible wall acting as the end of the environment, so you get cornered there and hit by the lost souls at no fault of your own. Mountains and everything look great and I like that red demon's charge attack. Didn't figure out how to get any further than that so quit.

The wad is designed for gzdoom only and gameplay requires mouslook, jumps and croaches. For instance, you can climb on a top of a "house" and jump into a next "yard".
For old-school gameplay there are many wads :)

That was my fault; I didn't realize jump and crouch were part of the controls (same thing messed me up in the zen dynamics wad). Also floor grates and cages and stuff don't appear in zdoom so you do indeed need gzdoom to play/beat it. Very professional wad.

Just played through a whole bunch of it.

I absolutely loved the caves. The lighting throughout this wad is really intelligently placed, but the caves take the cake. The only thing this wad lacks is plenty of ambient sound, because MIDI music doesn't do justice to all that atmosphere, and often times visual grandeur. Great work. Heheh and now you know in future wads to warn people that they will need to use jump and crouch!

I really like the use of the howler sounds from Undying, and in fact I might be forced to use them myself since I love that game so much.

BIG THING: I noticed you used an MP3 of the song "Moonlight Nocturne" from Symphony of the Night for the final battle, but whatever version you used, it sounds TERRIBLE! If you want the full-quality MP3 of the real version straight from the game, let me know and I can send it to you.

Also wondering: where do most of the textures come from?

Nick Perrin said:

Just played through a whole bunch of it.
BIG THING: I noticed you used an MP3 of the song "Moonlight Nocturne" from Symphony of the Night for the final battle, but whatever version you used, it sounds TERRIBLE! If you want the full-quality MP3 of the real version straight from the game, let me know and I can send it to you.

Also wondering: where do most of the textures come from?

Glad you are enjoing my wad. I really put a lot of work in it. Yeah, if you can send me a good version of the song, it would be nice. I'll add your name to the list of people whom I am grateful to. Email is: ishadowman@mail.ru

As for textures, I take some of them from Undying, a game that I like very much (think to make a level like Oneirous some time... maybe in Cheogsh 2).

As for midi, I don't like ambient in doom-wads, so, midi/mp3 is my choice.

Shadowman said:

As for textures, I take some of them from Undying, a game that I like very much (think to make a level like Oneirous some time... maybe in Cheogsh 2).

Yaaaay. Oneiros is sweet. I love Undying as well, it's a shame they canned the sequel...
I'm sending that MP3 now.