Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx-Kassman

Super Shotgun vs. Rocket Launcher

So if you are given a choice, a super shotgun or a rocket launcher, choosing one closes off the other option, what would you pick? Personally I would choose the Super Shotgun, because it basically packs the same punch as a rocket at close range, and its easy to hit multiple baddies farther away, without that messy splash damage. Works great in deathmatch too.

3 rockets or 5 SSG shots to kill a baron is an approximation as example. Rockets I believe, although I haven't checked, are just a touch stronger than a close SSG blast. That being said, I would never give up my SSG. for a RL.

The SSG is far more practical overall.

While being able to dispatch high placed and/or distanced annoyances with a RL is alot easier, I'd rather have the SSG. You can't have close quartered action with a RL.

Searcher said:

Rockets I believe, although I haven't checked, are just a touch stronger than a close SSG blast. That being said, I would never give up my SSG. for a RL.

Actually a SSG blast at close range can sometimes do more damage than a rocket.

I need my SSG. There's nothing more satisfying than killing a Demon with one well-placed blast, or mowing through a group of 5 Former Humans without even slowing down.

That is really subjective. If it was my only weapon I would take the SSG due to close encounters. If I had the chaingun or a normal shotgun I would probably take the RL due to the higher rate of fire, better damage at distance, and the splash.

SSG most the time. Since 1 direct RL is rougly the same as 1 close SSG, I go for the SSG. I only RL crowds because of the Splash damage; Direct damage, plus extra that the SSG doesnt have.

I love my SSG though.

I can only think of two situations where a RL would be better than the SSG, and both are very particular: one is mowing down crowds of 5000 imps or zombies in open spaces: the RL would just do the job quicker, and since those monsters aren't exactly sprinters, you won't explode a rocket to your own face unless you freeaim for the ground.

The other is "sniping" tough monsters (anything from a revenant and up, not flying) on distant ledges and windows, assuming of course that auto or manual aiming can guarantee you at least shooting in the correct general direction and slope.

But for anything else....CQ battle, semi-CQ, circle-strafing cyberdemons, etc. the SSG does a cleaner, and in much cases even faster job (splash damage is very dispersive against moderately tough enemies). Also, SSG ammo in general tends to be more abundant, and the previous RL roles can be fulfilled by the chaingun/BFG, if available.

Searcher said:
3 rockets or 5 SSG shots to kill a baron is an approximation as example. Rockets I believe, although I haven't checked, are just a touch stronger than a close SSG blast.

Only by a small margin. They each generally inflict a little over 200 points average, per full hit. It actually takes either 5 SSG blasts or 5 Rockets to kill an undamaged Baron of hell, in general; 3 of either for a Hell knight. Though, as we know, Rockets don't inflict any area damage against bosses (Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon), so you usually require a bit over twice as many Rockets than their hit points indicate, to down them.

Rocket = 128 + 20-160 = 148-288 (218)
Super shotgun = 5-15 x 21 = 105-315 (210)

Heh, part of the reason I started this thread was because I was thinking of making a level where you start off with nothing but your fists, and you are facing two weapons, the SSG and the RL. Once you choose one the other is trapped in between bars, and you will have to stick with the weapon you chose for the rest of the level in a variety of differant situations, such as close-quarters, boss battles and sniping. (You would find ammo for these weapons in the same places.) Of course, knowing me, I probably won't find the time to make the level since I am working on two other maps on the moment (one for Sabbat Matyre 2, and one for my own series.) That and of course real life. :P

While the SSG is more practical, I'd rather pick the RL provided that I've got at least the normal shotgun and chaingun. RL is just too invaluable in certain special situations, particularly when you need to take out large mobs of revenants or quickly kill archies.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Heh, part of the reason I started this thread was because I was thinking of making a level where you start off with nothing but your fists, and you are facing two weapons, the SSG and the RL. Once you choose one the other is trapped in between bars, and you will have to stick with the weapon you chose for the rest of the level in a variety of differant situations, such as close-quarters, boss battles and sniping. (You would find ammo for these weapons in the same places.) Of course, knowing me, I probably won't find the time to make the level since I am working on two other maps on the moment (one for Sabbat Matyre 2, and one for my own series.) That and of course real life. :P

That is a really smart idea :)

Awesome Idea, that.

Awesome idea until about the second time you explode a rocket in your own face and discover the SSG will not be available on this run. I'd jump out of it pretty fast after that. But it may just be me.

Not sure how much replay value it would have if you did not allow a choice. That, by itself, irritates a lot of people.

In Doom 2 single player, the SSG, because I'm pretty sure there's more ammo available for it.

In multiplayer, the rocket launcher, because I 0wn with it.

Super Shotgun is best weapon in the game, so I choose it.

You get ammo from everywhere, shot from 1 metre away and damage is really high, it is much deadlier that 2 shots from shotgun, it kills multiple monsters and you can also take down cyberdemon with that.

Kind of tough to decide since it can be any level layout. I'd pick the SSG because of the fact there is no way to hurt yourself using it, and shells will most likely be more abundant than rockets.

I grew tired of that ssg. Almost 97% of doom pwads give you that weapon. The rl is a much more interesting weapon (in combination with the sg) you'll pay for it if you it in close range but circumstances may make it the best choice. Using the ssg means no risk involved except it slow rate. That slow rate spoils gameplay imho.

Coldfusio said:

I grew tired of that ssg. Almost 97% of doom pwads give you that weapon. The rl is a much more interesting weapon (in combination with the sg) you'll pay for it if you it in close range but circumstances may make it the best choice. Using the ssg means no risk involved except it slow rate. That slow rate spoils gameplay imho.

I sometimes do use the RL in semi-close quarters, if the map layout allows it and I don't mind taking a hit or two. Depends on whether rockets and frequent, small health replenishments are available. If correctly used, it makes clearing certain boring E1-like tech bases a loooooot more fun :-)

SSG, for conveniance really. Plus, running as fast as you can through some hallways and hitting the shoot button right in front of something's face is just an incredible adrenaline rush.

Super Shotgun, if for no other reason than I can't accidentally kill myself with the splash damage.

Weapon of choice during invulnerability in ultimate doom for sure!
Weee! Suicidal maniaclike suicide bombings!

When I've got Doom2 (I was already familiar with Doom1) I was supprised by the new weapon: SSG!! After map02 (when you get the SSG) I rarelly used another weapon thru map30, only for bosses BFG, all the other can be handled. My choice: SSG, definitelly.