Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kobalt2k7

Original, full quality Doom 1,2 soundtrack

LogicDeLuxe said:

I have an M-Audio Delta 44, and it's fine throughout.

I'm surprised that so many here are using M-Audio cards which weren't developed for gaming PC's. Their strange is in high quality multi-track recording, which really is no advantage in games.

I recently got the Delta Audiophile 192, great card, but obviously for audio production/music production and not gaming.
The card isn't even really any better for games than the old built-in one I used before, because it's not geared towards games at all. But it kicks ass in your DAW or other audio app.

BUT... I only caught a mention of one other M-Audio card on here other than yours, the M-Audio Revolution. That card IS built for gaming and consumer outputs and whatnot.

LogicDeLuxe said:
It is my first go in HDCD mastering. Of course, this will sound best on a HDCD capable DAC.

Sounds better even without an HDCD decoder... even though they're the same apparent volume, the HDCD version doesn't distort (or if it does, I can't hear it).

Thanks so much for this set. It sounds so much better than my on-board MIDI.

Is there any chance we could get a recording of the rest of the unused tracks posted at rome.ro? Also, a FLAC version of "Sandy's City" with piano would be awesome; the ogg you posted earlier was definitly interesting.

Here is the Shareware music from Vanilla Doom recorded from my Terratec Maestro 32 with a genuine OPL3 in stereo: http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=vqxe0waz4x
The files loop correctly with a slight compromise: In some songs, the first play has a different panning to successive loops. I edited the songs in a way so that they loop seamlessly. Because of this, you can hear decaying notes from the end of the song at the beginning in some cases. Is this okay, or would you prefer a perfect beginning in favor for loopability? D_INTER has a slight pause at the end, which is exactly the way, Ultimate Doom plays it.

The overall panning is quite hard due to OPL3 limitations, which sounds a bit strange, imho.
Is this okay with you, or would you prefer a mono recording of these?

I will release a FLAC version when I finished recording the remaining songs.

LogicDeLuxe said:
In some songs, the first play has a different panning to successive loops.

How did you play the files? I tried something similar about a year ago (but never finished) and used musplay under DOS to play the .mus files directly with a GENMIDI extracted from the .wad. But I was having some issues with the OPL3 in my Sound Blaster Pro initializing properly. (About 2/3 of the time it wouldn't play in stereo. It could be something weird with the card itself, since I was never able to get DMXOPTIONS=-opl3 or whatever the environment variable was to work in the game, either.)

I edited the songs in a way so that they loop seamlessly. Because of this, you can hear decaying notes from the end of the song at the beginning in some cases. Is this okay, or would you prefer a perfect beginning in favor for loopability?

I guess it depends on whether people are going to play these in the game or just listen to them. In my case at least, I'll play them in the game for the nostalgia value, so I say leave them in.

The overall panning is quite hard due to OPL3 limitations, which sounds a bit strange, imho.
Is this okay with you, or would you prefer a mono recording of these?

There's a few tracks that sounded different in mono but I honestly can't remember what they are right now. (They might have been from the 1.2 version of the .wad. I know a few .mus files were changed and from the sounds of it, it was so they would sound better on an OPL2.)

I will release a FLAC version when I finished recording the remaining songs.

EXCELLENT. I'm looking forward to it...

CODOR said:

How did you play the files?

As I said, with Vanilla Doom. I disabled SFX completely, so I just get the music. In detail: It's a Pentium 200 mmx, Windows 95 (running in pure DOS), and a Terratec Maestro 32 first edition, which has a genuine Yamaha OPL3 chip.

CODOR said:

It could be something weird with the card itself, since I was never able to get DMXOPTIONS=-opl3 or whatever the environment variable was to work in the game, either.)

Doesn't work in DOSBox either, for some reason (unless it was fixed since I tried it the last time)

On 8/30/2007 at 3:31 PM, Kobalt2k7 said:

Anyone still around have these dumped in a folder somewhere? I'd very much appreciate it. I can't seem to find something like this anywhere.

Ps. I come from the future. A place where FLACs and anything audio recording above 128kbps is hardly considered. People stream their music now... sad!