Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

That's it, I give up

OK, so I set out to make my very own 32-level DM megawad. I was getting tired of maps that looked pretty and not much else. That was two years ago.

Now after various spurts, I find I've got about 10 good maps and a few more that need tweaking/finishing. A solo effort would've been great, but now I'm throwing in the towel and asking if there might be one or two of you out there with a DM megawad in the making to help me flesh out the rest of this thing.

Just so we're on the same page, these were my guidelines in making them:

• Doom2 Vanilla compatible
  • Sourceport-friendly (allowing more possibility with jumping and freelook)
  • Small- to mid-sized, best for 4 people
  • As much variety from map to map as possible
  • No new graphics, sounds, etc.
If you want examples, check this thread or see if I'm hosting a Skulltag server.

This isn't a bad idea... everyone must have unfinished projects, somebody's made weapons and monsters but only a few maps, somebody else has made loads of maps they can't be bothered with, it might be interesting to set up some sort of modification exchange and see what complete projects can be extracted from mixing bits together

I helped finish cc3 with one of my unfinished levels. Look for the Ultimate doom themed level when you play it.

Stealthy Ivan said:

I'll send you a few maps, I can make vanilla maps in hours so I will whip up a few and you can check them out.

Awesome. I've updated my e-mail address in my profile.

I will have a map for you in a day or two. I can send you a beta version of it if you want to test it (It's already half finished)? BTW is a mid to large size level ok? Or, would you prefer a detailed and small action packed style level?
And re-name the thread to what ever you want to call your project.
Thats it I Give Up! would not sound like a very cool mega-wad, or would it? :P

Stealthy Ivan said:

I will have a map for you in a day or two. I can send you a beta version of it if you want to test it (It's already half finished)? BTW is a mid to large size level ok? Or, would you prefer a detailed and small action packed style level?

We'll see how the flow of the map goes. Coincidentally, I took a few of my larger maps and chopped them in half-- they play much better now.

And re-name the thread to what ever you want to call your project.
Thats it I Give Up! would not sound like a very cool mega-wad, or would it? :P

But I really did give up. Sort of. Deciding to stop fidding with my maps and put them in final form actually gave me a few ideas for some other stuff...

But yeah. Even so, it'd be great if I could have 32 levels through a 2- or 3-person effort. If you've got any more maps sitting around, let me know. It's just Vanilla DM; I'm not looking for anything epic.

UPDATE: After talking to a few people, I've been convinced that it's best just to release what I have. It's not an issue of a whole 32 maps being too ambitious, but more importantly, no one would have a use for all of them. Even if they're any good, chances are there'd be a handful of favorites and the rest would never get played. Blah blah etc.

At any rate, I have 18 maps at this point and I'll be paring them down to about a dozen or so release candidates.