Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captainblue

My remote lift isn't working (Wadauthor)

I'll try to give a clear picture of what's happening:

I have two adjacent hallways: One with heights 8/264 and one with heights 128/222. I'm using a sector connected to them both, 128/222, so the player can get to the hallway with the higher floor.

Anyway, I make one nearby section of a wall into a switch, then assign both it and the lift sector a tag of 3. But, the lift doesn't work when I test it, and I get "Linedef X (linedef I used to make the switch) has an invalid tag". Anyone know why this would happen?

you are most of the way there. give the switch the "action" (Line type) to perform on the sector.

Then, Since you have the switch and the lift tagged the same you should see it work.

See, you have them tagged together, but you just have not yet told it what to do to the sector.

Hmm, I guess I should've mentioned this, but I'd already set the switch to SR (fast) lift. It still gives me the invalid tag message.

Make sure you give the same lift sector tag as the line tag. Then give the switch linedef the same tag number. For example, if the front face of the lift were to be the switch, you would assign that to the lift's corresponding sector tag. You would then give that line the linedef action, but there is no need to give the whole lift that particular linedef function. Also if your assigning another part of the lift a "walk repeatable lift lower wait raise function" Its the same, just give that line the same tag as the lift, and assign the function to it. (linedef action 88) In case your still struggling, here's a useful demo for you to resort to :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/51605875/LIFTDEMO.wad.html

EDIT: The back of the lift has HOM (hall of mirrors) To fix that just place a new texture there. I apologize for that.

This may seem obvious, or not, but be sure you are in line mode when assigning the (switch) line tag and in sector mode when assigning the same tag number to the sector.

edit:typo

I can't look until I get home and by then some one else may have checked it, but is the floor of the lift at least 128 high? Damn I wish I had a wad editor on my work computer. I think it just might impact my day a lot if I did.

Your line uses tag 3 and there were no sectors tagged 3. Put your editor into sector edit mode, select the lift sector, and give it tag 3