Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

[Map] Tusken II

This is a duel/FFA map for a project called "Jurassic Rift" being lead by Lazureus (supposedly its a sequel to my 32in24 #3 duel speedmap... I guess the layouts stem from the same inspiration or whatever). Here's the link to the project sub-forum at Skulltag: Clicky Here!

And here's the link to the map's thread: Clicky Here!. You can see some early screenshots of the map there ^_^

Onto the screenies!

The entire project is Jurassic/Dinosaur related, so the texture pallete is supposed to reflect that. There are also custom weapons/items/health, etc etc...so that explains the odd items laying around. Anyways, let me know what you think!

I saw a little bit of progress on this project about a month ago, but now it has evolved into something that I don't think I've ever seen in Doom before!

Now this has the doom feel!!! Great looking screens, this is another must play wad! The textures look awsome and the level design still keeps that hint of the original doom!

And see? This beautiful work would have never happened if it weren't for 32in24.

HEY GUYS PLAY SOME 32IN24 AND CONTRIBUTE TO OUR PROJECTS :)

[/shameless plug]

Looking purty though for sure. Very good use of color. I'm curious though, how different are the weapons in terms of balance?

Mechadon said: Here's the link to the project sub-forum at Skulltag: Clicky Here!

And here's the link to the map's thread: Clicky Here!. You can see some early screenshots of the map there ^_^
[/B]

I think your links are broken.

EANB said:

Maps look great, I love the liquids, but whats the deal with the links?

Looks like skulltag.com is gone. :|

Yea, I dunno what happened to Skulltag.com...I guess they need to renew the domain.

Anyways, thanks for the comments! As far as the weapons are concerned, the project (erm, I guess mostly the weapons) are still in the Beta state and are probably going through small tweaks and the such. But for the most part they are quite balanced from what chance I've had to use them online. They aren't exact copies of the Doom 2 weapons with new sprites, but most of them have are sort of counterparts in relation to the Doom 2 weapons. For instance the Thorn Jaw is similar to the SSG, except that it fires projectiles and has the +RIPPER flag on it...and the damage output feels very similar. Another example is The Volcano, which is like the Plasma Gun, but feels slightly slower...and it fires blobs of fire. There are also quite a handful of Inventory weapons which add to the gameplay that much more.

Whenever Skulltag.com comes back online, Laz has a public beta avaliable for download (erm, well atleast I'm pretty sure its public. I could be wrong, heh). If that's the case, I'd recommend downloading it and test the weapons for balance.

Heh, thanks!

I think Laz is waiting on one more map before he releases the next JRift beta (my map will be in the latest beta release). So if your really interested in the project, I'd go download it once its released :)

I'm not sure I like all of the minor height variation in that first shot. That stuff dampers mobility, and dampering mobility dampers gameplay. Also I don't think that water texture is meshing well.(shot3)

[shot 4] Again, those trees may cause mobility issues, maybe reduce them?

Other than that, looks great.

From the grass to the leading edge of the waterway, its only a difference of 8px...so it doesn't really cause that much of a problem. Though from the other edge to the water, its a difference of 16 px...but it supposed to be like that gameplay wise because there's an inventory item in the waterway, and I didn't want it to easily grabbed.

The water texture isn't really up to me though...Laz didn't want any of the Doom2 textures used, and that was really the only option I had :/. There were other water textures, but they all pretty much look the same as the one in the screenshots.

As per the trees in the pit, I was kinda waiting until Laz released this next beta so I could playtest it. I actually had more than that to beging with, but I drastically reduced the number and moved them around so it would be more player friendly. Of course I still need to test it out...and if they are an issue, I'll probably reduce them again.

Thanks for the feedback thor :)

Mechadon said:

The water texture isn't really up to me though...Laz didn't want any of the Doom2 textures used, and that was really the only option I had :/.

I think what he means is that the water texture isn't tiling properly/fitting together in shot 3. Everywhere else it looks fine.

Oh, I see. Actually there's a 8px height difference from the right side of the wall to the middle of that waterway...that's probably why it looks like its not tiling correctly :)

Mechadon said:

Oh, I see. Actually there's a 8px height difference from the right side of the wall to the middle of that waterway...that's probably why it looks like its not tiling correctly :)

I noticed that only after I posted!