Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blarg

3D Mode

I'm running DB on an old Win. 98 with no internet connection. Currently, the computer is unable to enter 3D mode because I have an old version of Directx. My graphics card is an ATI 3D Rage Pro. I assume since it has 3D in the name, the graphics card is capable of 3D mode, I just need to download a more recent version of Directx. I tried putting the Directx 9.0 download on a floppy disc (yes I use floppy disks because all I have are CD-Rs and the win98 doesn't recognize my jump drive) but when I ran the program on the win98, the Wizard that popped up said; "Plug-in installer could not detect the appropriate browser installation directory [Error: 0x80070002]"
Am I doing the wrong thing, or do I need to change something or what?

i dont think your card is decent enough to run 3d mod whether you update directx or not

could be wrong though :)

My windows 98 machine works with 3d-mode, and my jumpdrive, and my mouse (yes even in DOS mode, crazy i know). You just need to look around more the for the stuff you need on that operating system. autoexec, config.sys and other setup files need to be configured...you need to hit up google or some old windows sites to help you with this. Also the last version of Directx that runs on 98 is 8.1, I'm pretty sure 9 won't install on 98 at all.

Edit: Not sure about the new Doom Bulders, I don't use that editor but the version I have the 3d mode works. I have a Voodoo5.

Use3D said:
Also the last version of Directx that runs on 98 is 8.1, I'm pretty sure 9 won't install on 98 at all.

I have v9.0c installed on my (Windows 98) computer, and it works just fine.

just because you have installed a new version of directx, doesnt mean your video card can use the features that db requires from that version

Xtife said:
doesnt mean your video card can use the features that db requires from that version

Perhaps, but without any testing he won't even know. In my case Doom Builder's 3D mode is fine, and my card isn't anything great, either, just a 32 MB SiS card.

thx for all the opinions, I'll try directx 8.1 and see id 3D works, if not, oh well.