Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blarg

Doom 1.1 and Windows

I have DOOM1 ver. 1.1 on an old windows 98, and I have to run the program in MS-DOS which is a pain, because it takes forever to close windows and I can't use my mouse (it's a windows mouse so in MS-DOS the computer doesn't recognize it).
DOOM window will pop up, and then it will get stuck on a line that says;
"R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon......Z_ChangeTag: An owner is required for purgable blocks"

What should I do?

First of all, there hasn't ever been a mouse that can work "on its own" in MS-DOS: you need to load a driver for it, usually in your config.sys/autoexec.bat files, or, if you are lucky, you may have a nifty little utility called mouse.com or mouse.exe somewhere, which will do the trick. Just run it before playing doom (or any other DOS game using a mouse, for that matter). Any decent mouse driver made after 1993 supports both serial and PS/2 mice and is pretty much universal, so only a USB or some very weird mouse could give you any sort of trouble with a generic DOS mouse driver.

Make sure you configured Doom's input and sound settings correctly, too, and that you are not having stuff like EMM386 or other resident programs loaded. This includes drivers for old soundcards which are not 100% hardware compatible with a Sound Blaster. If you have a genuine Creative, you don't need any sort of TSRs or drivers to have sound in Doom.

I presume you are wanting to run 1.1 not because you don't know there are later versions, but because you are interested in seeing what 1.1 was like.

I believe 1.2 was the first version that would run under Windows at all, so you really do need a completely "pure" DOS set-up to run 1.1. So if you want to run it that way with the mouse, you'll need to fiddle around with DOS drivers and/or an alternative mouse. Otherwise, you can run it under DOSbox - I have just tried that, and it works fine: music, mouse, decent performance, with no special tweaking needed.

It would actually help if you provided us with the specs of the Win 98 machine, it could be anything from a Pentium 66 with an S3 and PCI/ISA slots to a Pentium 4 with AGP or even PCIe. Also, no ideas of what soundcard you're using, if any.

I can confirm I've never gotten v1.0 or v1.1 to run in Windows 98 (except, of course, when booting to its full DOS mode), always getting that "purgable blocks" error message.

leileilol said:

Well, I've found v1.666 to be pretty unstable in Windows 98, producing random venetian blinds crashes.

From the context of the original post (Windows 98, mentions to slow) he probably wants to run it on an old rig which just lacks the power to run emulated vanilla Doom via DOSBOX (unless you like 386SX-like framerates, of course). Consider anything below 1 GHz (especially for Intel) to be out of the question, even with DOSBOX 0.70, and even moreso with older versions.

If we're talking about a rig that can barely run e.g. Quake I, then the whole DOSBOX idea is purely academic.

I'll just update to version 1.2, I can run ver. 1.1, but it's not worth the hassle

myk said:

I can confirm I've never gotten v1.0 or v1.1 to run in Windows 98 (except, of course, when booting to its full DOS mode), always getting that "purgable blocks" error message.

Well, I've found v1.666 to be pretty unstable in Windows 98, producing random venetian blinds crashes.

I remember something odd on an old computer where 1.666 would always venetian blind one E1M1 of Doom Shareware if I didn't do it fast enough. This was on Win95 booted to DOS.

TheDarkArchon said:

I remember something odd on an old computer where 1.666 would always venetian blind one E1M1 of Doom Shareware if I didn't do it fast enough. This was on Win95 booted to DOS.

I remember this. It is not limited to Doom Shareware. I noticed this on several AMD 486 DX machines. This happens only with OPL music playing, and always at the same beats on certain tunes. Just about a few seconds into E1M1 was one of them. This doesn't seem to happen with 1.2 or 1.9.

leileilol said:

Try updating to a version that doesn't suck (1.666 or 1.9)

IIRC 1.1 got -left and -right.

Playing back v1.1 demos? Witnessing barrel suicide? Not being able to play half of "vanilla" PWADs due to stricter VPO and SSEGs limitations :-p

Maes said:

Playing back v1.1 demos? Witnessing barrel suicide? Not being able to play half of "vanilla" PWADs due to stricter VPO and SSEGs limitations :-p

Doom changelog mentions nothing of stricter visplane limit.

EANB said:
Doom changelog mentions nothing of stricter visplane limit.

Because in the DOOM readme they generally mentioned only stuff that was directly relevant to players, apparently. If you go to E1M8 using the v1.2 executable (or earlier) and you stand against one of the cliff walls surrounding the outer section, looking inwards, you'll see the main structure area suffers HOMs.

As per myk. Perhaps I should rephrase it and say that the visplane and SSEGs limits were stricter in older versions. The harcoded SSEGs limit would be responsible for HOM effects (and it was very low in v1.1, something like 128 SSEGS visible at once, or even less, which translates roughly to 64 single-sided or 32 double-sided linedefs, and was eventually raised to 256 in v1.9). However the SSEGs limit would not crash the engine, while the visplane one did, although I'm not sure how that evolved through different versions. However these changes had the effect of making certain PWADs unplayable or glitchy with older versions of the engine.

The SSEs limit was low enough to cause visible effects on E1M8 in Doom 1.1, probably other IWAD levels too.