Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Classic Doom Challenege

Alright this is a tough one. I still have yet to complete it. Here's how it goes.

-Start up Ultimate Doom and go to E1M1 on Ultra-Violence.
-You must get 100% kills.
-Secrets, Items, and time limits are unnecessary.

Cakewalk right? Here's the catch.

-You are only allowed to use Fisties, Rocket Launcher, and/or Plasma gun throughout the whole level.
-You can use any cheat except for iddqd, and any console commands that kill all monsters.
-No weapons mods are allowed.
-Every single monster in the level MUST be gibbed.

You are allowed to shoot barrels to gib monsters as well. If you can do it, try E1M2 as well. As well as MAP01 on Doom 2. Make a recording of it and show us!

I've posted this in another forum too a while ago. I still try to do this sometimes.

Isn't really that hard, use rockets to gib monsters, and two plasma one berserker punch for imps (rockets if berserk is not allowed). That or you could summon BFG balls all around, use "freeze" command, "summonfriend marinebfg".
Doing this on E1M2 would be just tedious.

I may be wrong but cheats aren't recorded when you make a demo, the result is you moving out of synchronization along the walls while being killed (at least that happens on vanilla DOOM).

Ichor said:

How do you gib demons, spectres, and the barons at the end?

I think hes only talking about E1M1

Oh ok. For some odd reason, I thought he was refering to the whole episode.

Vegeta said:
I may be wrong but cheats aren't recorded when you make a demo, the result is you moving out of synchronization along the walls while being killed (at least that happens on vanilla DOOM).

Correct, cheat commands aren't recorded in vanilla demo files.
For E1M1 in vanilla, one option would be for the recording player to do an IDKFA before anything else, and pause for a moment to allow the demo-viewing player to do the same.
If a demo watcher does the same cheats at the same point in the game as the recording player, you can theoretically maintain sync. O'course you have to know ahead of time what/when cheats were used; the recording player needs to document.
Chances of this working drop dramatically once monsters spot you or combat begins.

Vegeta said:

"summonfriend marinebfg".
Doing this on E1M2 would be just tedious.

You have no idea :P. Getting friendly monsters to follow you through levels (even ones with reasonably spacious rooms like the original levels) is hell. It can take upwards of 10 minutes just for a monster to walk through the door you want it to walk through. (and yes, 10 minutes isen't much but imagine EVERY single door :P)

Monsters getting gibbed is a function of probablilty. Damage from direct rocket hits as well as splash damage from barrels and rockets varies pseudo randomly. In fact this is even worse than if the damage varied in a true random manner. Add to that monster infighting and you have a situtation that is near impossible to obtain (all monsters jibbed) statistically.

Getting a demo of it does make it impossible.

Hmmmm, you can't use a cheat that kills all monsters, right? That means you can use the murder death kill, which only kills one monster at a time. No pseudorandomness can save the Imp from that kind of damage :P

stphrz said:

Monsters getting gibbed is a function of probablilty. Damage from direct rocket hits as well as splash damage from barrels and rockets varies pseudo randomly. In fact this is even worse than if the damage varied in a true random manner. Add to that monster infighting and you have a situtation that is near impossible to obtain (all monsters jibbed) statistically.

Getting a demo of it does make it impossible.

Well you can record with a different program like hypercam or something. And you can still do things to increase the probability, like rough monsters up with the plasma gun, and running and timing your berserk punches can do more damage. And for some reason rockets tend to be more likely to gib zombies and imps if the rocket is right near them, rather than actually making contact with them. And I got most of the same reaction the last forum i posted this in. =P

"its completely random and is all based on probability!"
"i just type kill all in the console and wa la!"

Here is one....
Do the entirety of E4 without getting hit once.
UV and no cheats. Continuous. Save all you want. You can also load.

(I have done it)

Or you could try doing E1 (or whatever)

1. killing everything
2. HNTR difficulty (simply because of less monsters)
3. any weapons

JUST

kill the monsters before they even have a chance to attack you. so an imp isen't even allowed to fire a fireball at you (even if it does miss).

I just came up with this, its just a thought

EDIT: Changing rules
EDIT 2: Typo

TheDarkArchon said:

Didn't that make you take the hint that your challenge is dumb?

You got any better ones? I thought this was pretty good, I almost got it a few times.

Here are a few challenges for you:

UV -fast: Fast monsters
UV Tyson: Only pistol, chainsaw and fist are allowed as weapons
UV Pacifist: No intentional harm to a monster is allowed.
UV Reality: No damage must be taken.
NM: Enough of a challenge as it is. :P

All of these (except Pacifist) must have 100% kills and secrets.

Yeah, this challenge is just a fight between the player and the pseudo-random number generator. Real challenges (such as things you find on Compet-n) are much more interesting.

Terra-jin said:

Tyson does not require 100% secrets, and NM (in the absence of other requirements) just means exiting the map on Nightmare! skill. Also, "Reality" is just an additional stipulation on top of other ones - you can have Max Reality, Tyson Reality, Pacifist Reality, etc.

Terra-jin said:

Here are a few challenges for you:

UV -fast: Fast monsters
UV Tyson: Only pistol, chainsaw and fist are allowed as weapons
UV Pacifist: No intentional harm to a monster is allowed.
UV Reality: No damage must be taken.
NM: Enough of a challenge as it is. :P

E4 UV Reality!!! Wee!!