Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cupboard

The Great Bicycle Mystery 2

Hey, it's all done after like 3 years of development! This wad is intended for cooperative play but it is fully compatible with single player (honest, I even had someone play solo through the whole thing on UV with -fast monsters). Just turn down the difficulty if you don't want to be blown out of the water at some points. It's a ZDaemon project but is compatible with ZDoom and Skulltag (DMFlags for all three ports are included in the text file)

So, why download this?

- The screenshots are very old and don't do the wad justice
- 9 new monsters
- 32 maps
- A great mystery of bicycle nature
- Built-in survival style mode when playing online

--->Touch my link<---

MAP01: Filler Map

MAP02: Mega Caves

MAP02: Mega Caves

MAP04: InsaneVileness

Looks awesome so far. From the screenshots you posted, my only suggestion would be to change the STEPTOP in the first shot to another similar texture. STEPTOP is a pretty awful texture, with only four or five ugly shades of brown and a very flat appearance to it. It takes away from the appearance of the map, I think.

EDIT: also fix dat alignment on da SUPPORT2 in shot 4 :(

Good stuff. Remember: adding "OF DEATH" to the end of your map names equals instant awesome.

Hey thanks Kassman. I already have a few playtesters lined up that might be able to test it, but I'll let you know if they are unable. Thanks for the kind gesture.

Thanks for your outlook Esselfortium. My eyes aren't as noticing as yours I think. I've done a bit of changing. :)

Bucket - I declare that map08 just got an update in awesomeness.

EDIT: Typo
EDIT: lawl typo again

hey guess what guys progress. 4 more maps to be finished. Worst-vd-plas has officially joined the project and has generously donated an additional 8 new monsters. Plus he'll contribute a map or two and provide technical support to me. So far it looks like this wad will require a port that allows acs scripts. (ZDoom, ZDaemon, Skulltag, or something)

What you can expect from this project (even though no one plays coop here anyway :P):
9 new monsters
17 maps (EDIT: now it is 32)
Possible overhaul of The Great Bicycle Mystery 1 maps with new monsters and more balanced difficulty, which would make this project a full 32 level megawad.

MAP04: Mastication

MAP06: Embalmed Ears

MAP07: Enter the Face

Thanks. I will let you know if I need you. :)

So I'm getting tired of this wad. Good thing I only have 2 maps to go. :)

MAP08: Jalopy of Death

MAP09: How Horrorble!

MAP10: Fecal Deceit

TheCupboard said:

MAP10: Fecal Deceit

Best map name, ever. In fact, most of these map names made me ROTFLOL.

I can almost taste the manliness of this wad. Mmmm... I'm slow but here are some more works of art. Poop or praise them as you wish.

MAP:08 Jalopy of Death

MAP:13 Chubby Rain

MAP:14 Poop Tunnel

I eagerly await this megawad. You can't go wrong with these map titles, generic recolor monsters, and that epic storyline, imho.

:P Thanks Thanks. Work on the last level has commenced. Even I do not know what sort of elephantine steaming pile of awesomeness it will turn out to be.

32 levels. ONE FIGHT FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Jesus must be stopped.

Oh by the way, suggestions appreciated, etc. The revision and playtesting process is usually a long one anyway. Plenty of time to fix things.

MAP01: Filler Map

Not dead yet. I settled for 15 new maps and 15 revised ones to make 30 maps. I'm done with mapping phase. Now worst-vd-plas will probably add his ZDoom effects and we will consult and revise when I get a chance to speak with him. Maybe this will be released in a month or two. Or never. Or one month. Or two.

Hey, it's all done after like 3 years of development! This wad is intended for cooperative play but it is fully compatible with single player (honest, I even had someone play solo through the whole thing on UV with -fast monsters). Just turn down the difficulty if you don't want to be blown out of the water at some points. It's a ZDaemon project but is compatible with ZDoom and Skulltag (DMFlags for all three ports are included in the text file)

So, why download this?

- The screenshots are very old and don't do the wad justice
- 9 new monsters
- 32 maps
- A great mystery of bicycle nature
- Built-in survival style mode when playing online

--->Touch my link<---

Thanks for playing and suggestions are welcome!

Not a coop player. However, I tested it out in Single Player and skipped to Map23 and I was absolutely unable to find enough ammo on any skill besides I'm Too Young Too Die. I tried Map25 and same thing. It looks like it is a fun wad on I'm Too Young To Die, but how are you supposed to do it (or at least some of those maps) on a higher skill level (where the ammo boxes give you less ammo each) on Single Player? Any advice would strongly be appreciated.

That's pretty interesting actually. :) I'm usually able to finish the average map with a surplus of 20 shells and 100 bullets. My advice would be to not use the SSG on everything that moves (like in map23 I can see it would be easy to use too many shells on some weaker enemies like zombies). Be aware that the Hell Warriors (the shield guys) have the ability to block, so don't ever use the chaingun on them because they will block about 80% of your bullets. Use the SSG or shotgun on them so they can't negate as many of your attacks. Whenever you see bullet puffs coming off of them, you know that you are doing zero damage.

Thanks for playing.

I had a bit of trouble keeping enough ammunition as well, but when I played it online, even with about 4 or 5 other players, I only found myself 'low on ammo' and not 'out of ammo'. You can tell a lot of thought and tweaking was put into the whole survival aspect of the project. I think the balance is just right.

I looked at every single screenshot. Excellent piece of work! Looking forward to it.

oh its already finished?

Yes, and this time he didn't wait weeks between getting it run on ZDS and releasing it into the archives like he did with a certain organic Heretic wad :p

(I played it a while back and enjoyed it all, challenging -fast stuff that nearly beat me on occasions)

Just finished playing through this (all but Map32, which I'm currently half-way through).

Lots of fun to be had overall, and some reasonably difficult levels. (I like my levels difficult!)

Only ran into ammo trouble once or twice during Maps 20 - 23.

Your consistant use of textures which would usually clash together, was interesting, as were your seemingly experimental detailing methods :)

I also missed the secret exit to Map 30 - I assumed it was hiding on Map 15 :(

I also assume most of your level names were jokes or references to other wads?

Any minor critisms aside, congrats on finishing a one-man megawad :D

Played through the first 2 maps with ZDoom(SP) and they're great! They're challenging, and I haven't had too much trouble with ammo(yet.)
But what happened to the goddamn bike? Do I find out when I finish it?

The bike is definitely in there!

Insane_Gazebo said:

Your consistant use of textures which would usually clash together, was interesting, as were your seemingly experimental detailing methods :)

Yeah this was something that I also enjoyed a good deal.

Hey thanks for all the comments everyone! The ammunition problems have been noted, so I would advise against pistol starts all the time unless you are comfortable with the map.

deathbringer said:

Haha, a reference to (one of) Hardcore Gamer's wacky hijinks?

Haha, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that tribute title. :D I hope no one takes the map titles too seriously, they are mostly meaningless and interchangable, only there to provide mild comedic relief.

Thanks Gazebo for your input. I did forget to mention that the secret exit is located on map12 and the super secret exit is on map31 (that is probably something I should have mentioned in the text file). And one-man megawad? Heh, Worst-vd-Plas created 90% of map11 and a lot of other scripting and dehacked goodness that I couldn't have even attempted.

Arrrgh, if you are concerned, the bicycle will make at least one more appearance after map01.

TheCupboard said:

Hey thanks for all the comments everyone! The ammunition problems have been noted, so I would advise against pistol starts all the time unless you are comfortable with the map.

Where have they been noted, and what maps would pistol starting on Single Player likely be advised against on?

Anyways, I've played Map01-Map06 SP on my usual skill (Hurt Me Plenty) and it's good work thus far. But as I said, I'd like to be advised where pistol starting may lead to balance issues.

I've tested a few later maps on HMP and I think Map23 is completely unfair from a pistol start (unless you chaninsaw even a number of big monsters, which is boring), and I also had severe ammunition problems in the second half of Map25 unless I get the Berserk and kill nearly all smaller monsters from that point on with it (and maybe even a big monster or two). Are these problems being consdered/noted, and are there any other maps where I'm likely to run into similar issues by pistol-starting?

Do0minat0r said:

Where have they been noted, and what maps would pistol starting on Single Player likely be advised against on?

To point out some of what I consider to be the more challenging maps: 8, 14, 16, 17, 20-23, 25, 29, 31, 32. The levels were meant to be played one after the other without fresh starts - that is the reason why one map's ending is the next map's beginning. The wad is supposed to feel somewhat connected rather than 32 separate battles. Pistol starts are possible on all maps but you wouldn't be making things at all easy on yourself in UV.

All of your concerns about balance are being considered. I didn't remember map23 being as hard as I had left it, for instance. :P This feedback is really helping me form an idea of how to better do level balance, so thank you.

EDIT: Grammar

TheCupboard said:

To point out some of what I consider to be the more challenging maps: 8, 14, 16, 17, 20-23, 25, 29, 31, 32. The levels were meant to be played one after the other without fresh starts - that is the reason why one map's ending is the next map's beginning. The wad is supposed to feel somewhat connected rather than 32 separate battles. Pistol starts are possible on all maps but you wouldn't be making things at all easy on yourself in UV.

All of your concerns about balance are being considered. I didn't remember map23 being as hard as I had left it, for instance. :P This feedback is really helping me form an idea of how to better do level balance, so thank you.

EDIT: Grammar

Thanks for the remarks, maybe I think you might want to rerelease this with some of the maps fixed. On a side note, I've tried 24, 26, and 27 from scratch and as your list suggests, they are very doable. So increasing ammo and health in Map08, 14, 16, 17, 20-23, 25, 29, 31, and 32 and then rereleasing it would really help this get better ratings IMO.

In particular, of the two poor balance ones I've actually tried (23 and 25), I should mention that I always run into a problem on Map25 when the three Winged Barons come up. Those guys have an excessive amount of health and you simply did not provide the ammo to fight those three guys along with the tons of others in the same area.

Map23, on the other hand, has absolutely no health (!) in the entire first half (prior to the teleporter) against plenty of resistance, and simply not enough ammo, minus tons and tons of chainsawing. I really think the balance on this one needs to be all out redone, at least in the first half.

For the time being, though (and also if you decide not to release any fixed version, though I'd recommend you do), thanks for warning me of the hard maps.

P.S. While this isn't a balance problem, I had to find the double-secret on Map26 near the beginning with the two plasma sergants just to finish the level. The blue key only is available after they (and the other monsters) are killed. You probably should fix this as well; most people will mark a map down for needing to find secrets to complete it.

Still, this set is a good effott, and keeping single player in mind was a plus IMO. The balance problems (and the Map26 one in my P.S.) could easily be fixed with a quick rerelease, and I will repeat my opinion in that I think this megawad would benefit from one. I hope my feedback continues to be useful.

That's all that comes to my mind for now. If you have any more questions or requests, feel free to send me a PM or post them on this thread.

EDIT: Tried one of the other maps you mentioned, Map17, from pistol start, and found it to be fair as long as you simply avoid the Cyberdemon, not kill it. It's a challenge but you have enough ammo as long as you avoid that Cyber, which isn't that hard, as you can shoot from a distance to clear out the area its in before waking it, and then you just have to run past it two times (once toward the area with the key and once back) or so and you can avoid it, as it appears to be unable to cross a particular linedef to proceed with you into any area beyond the area it originated in. So I assume this Cyber was simply meant to be avoided, and that's what I did, and I found it to be a fair map by doing so.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, another serious bug I noticed: Map30 simply returns you to Map01 when finished. There should be an ending here, not a wraparound!

THIRD EDIT: Played Map16. It was right on the edge but I just barely managed to make it through. I had to dash into an area once or twice to borrow enough ammo, and I ignored the green Imps and Revenants in the outdoor area with the falls. I simply stayed in a place where they couldn't see me well while I dealt with the Imps at the bottom.

Okay, that's enough for now, I need to move on with real life for a bit. But I'll discuss other maps you mentioned as among the hardest when I have the chance to get to them (possibly tomorrow). By then, the thread should have more posts so I don't have to keep updating my own.

I do plan on playing the maps you mentioned as the harder ones first to see which ones I believe are fair and which ones I believe are not fair (on Hurt Me Plenty, at least). So stay tuned if you're interested in more feedback.