Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

GZDoom skies

Hey there,

I was wondering if it was some how possible to use high resolution skies in GZDoom with doublesky at the same time.

Either way, I don't know how to use high resolution skies regardless. I know how doublesky works, but not high resolution skies.

Anyway have any tips?

According to these instructions, I am going to need to take all of Doom 2's graphics out and put them in a seperate folder.

I don't think it would be exactly legal to distribute all of Doom 2's graphics like this, and I don't think that people who want to play the wad could be bothered putting up with all of that crap anyway.

Is there a different way to do this? I'm happy to use Doom 2's palette if necessary, but all I'm really aiming to do is make higher resolution skies.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Since you're using GZDoom, you can just import the sky at whatever size you want in whatever supported format you want (I use Painkiller skies which are 4096x1024 in JPG format in a few unfinished maps). One way I use is, in a ZIP format mod, put the hi-res sky in the Textures folder, and just make the MAPINFO.txt reference it. Note that in MAPINFO, when referencing a sky texture, the texture can be whatever name and length you want it to be - as long as you type the EXACT name in MAPINFO (not sure if the MAPINFO parsing code is case-sensitive or what).

The other way is just import it into your WAD. But that's a filesize issue and your colors will look like shit. If I were you I'd just put it in the ZIP as a 32-bit JPG or PNG.

EDIT: In case you want to know, I find a good resolution for a sky texture in GZDoom in the GL renderer is anything that is 4:1, like 512x128 or 2048x512. Or as I said, Painkiller's sky size, which is 4096x1024. God they're beautiful.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Does doublesky work in high res skies?

Also, how do I put a mapinfo reference to a zip file?

Since the way I do it is just a bunch of over-gigantic images and GZDoom does all the stretching/scaling by itself, I imagine doubleskies are 100% functional. But I have not tested it.

As for making a MAPINFO in a ZIP, all you have to do is keep a Mapinfo.txt in the root directory of your mod's ZIP. So the structure is just /Mapinfo.txt.

farhaven:

Fisk said:

Since the way I do it is just a bunch of over-gigantic images and GZDoom does all the stretching/scaling by itself, I imagine doubleskies are 100% functional. But I have not tested it.

As for making a MAPINFO in a ZIP, all you have to do is keep a Mapinfo.txt in the root directory of your mod's ZIP. So the structure is just /Mapinfo.txt.

farhaven:

Sorry, but I still have no idea what you are talking about.

Do I made the entire project a zip file including the wad and the other stuff, then have the player point zdoom at the zip file?

Also, how do I point to the image with the mapinfo?