Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Post facts that you suppose the average gamer doesn't know

Post details of the id, Heretic/Hexen games that you think the average gamers doesn't know (if you have something from Strife post it too).

As here there are a lot of experienced gamers, I guess many of the things I'll post are already known by the majority of readers, but I'm sure there's still people who didn't note them.

-In Hexen, the Reyvers suck your health with the short range attack. As they tend to be destroyed fast this doesn't affect the game. You can create a super Reyver if you use invincible mode and let the Reyver incress his health, then turn invincibility off and kill the -literally- sucker. Works cooler if you let at least three Reyvers do this at the same time.

-In DOOM 2 monsters can react to Archvile attack if you modify it with dehacked so only the last codepointer (the one that makes you fly vertically, and subtract clean 20 hps if you don't have armor) is used. The explanation of the diagonal jump is because the flame makes an explosion that push you in the x coordinates, combined this with the vertical jump, the result is a diagonal jump. The reason why monsters don't react is because they point they're reaction to the flame, that eventually vanish immediately it cause the damage.

These are the only I can remember right now, I'll post others when/if they come to my mind.

Share yours.

Vegeta said:
In DOOM 2 monsters can react to Archvile attack if you modify it with dehacked so only the last codepointer (the one that makes you fly vertically, and subtract clean 20 hps if you don't have armor) is used.

Could you please record a v1.9 demo to reproduce this? As far as I know, it's wrong (unless you weren't talking about Doom2 v1.9). I tested it by simply changing the "create flame" pointer to another blast effect, and monsters ignore the Archvile. If I'm not mistaken, the Archvile is simply never targetted, no matter what attack it uses. Give it Cyberdemon rockets, a shotgun attack, anything, and monsters will ignore it anyway. In fact, if you clone the Archivile, giving another monster or thing all the same characteristics, these will infight with each other (or get attacked by any other monster hurt by them), because they don't have the "never attacked" exception and thus react to each other's area based flame damage.

That's very possible, I only used dehacked with 1.666, still it works on G/Zdoom.
I have checked the dehacked patch I used, perhaps it has something to do that I added this attack to the Lost Soul (to simulate the Alpha Skull). I guess then monsters only react to this if it isn't used by an Archvile. It'd be interesting to try adding a regular projectile attack to the Archvile to see what happens.

myk said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Archvile is simply never targetted, no matter what attack it uses.

The source code confirms this, and it cannot be changed via DeHackEd.