Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spank

Kat

You asked me to post my new PC's specs in here, so here it goes:

Motherboard:
Chaintech something KT266A

Processor:
Athlon 1.4GHz (they didn't have the new XPs)

Mem:
512MB DDR RAM at 266MHz

Graphics card:
GeForce 3 with 64 megs of DDR RAM (still hasn't come - a crappy Matrox G550 is taking the place) >> stupid ProView LCD (hey, it's my mom's fault)

Sound card:
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum (teh 1337!!) >> CSW 5.1 speakers

HDD:
IBM Deskstar 60GXP (40GB, ATA100, etc. etc.)

Other stuff:
Nec DVD-ROM
Nec CD-RW (16x10x40 with BurnProof)
Logitech Cordless Desktop Mouse and Keyboard
Win2K Pro

It's so awesome I almost needn't use any latency in audio apps, and it starts up in around 30 seconds. I'm just not too excited about games because of the G550, but that'll improve.

HAHAHAHAH SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY HAHAHAHAH

emu10kX cards and Creative WDM drivers ... don't mix

HAHAHAHAH VIA HARDWARE HAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAH LCD PANEL HAHAHAHAH
... I could go on but I think I'll stop here

EDIT:

HAHAHAHAH MATROX CARD HAHAHAHAH

EDIT #2:

HAHAHAHAH IBM HARD DRIVE HAHAHAHAH

emu10kX cards and Creative WDM drivers ... don't mix

Anything and everything using WDM drivers doesn't work.

Anything and everything using WDM drivers doesn't work.

No no, WDM drivers for most other devices work fine, just ... Creative can't write WDM drivers.

There are lingering suspicions that their "WDM" drivers are merely wrappers around their old VXD drivers, resulting in higher overall CPU usage while using their hardware and their WDM drivers.

Oh no I posted twice in the same thread the world is about to end

1400 <arioch> spank: no, I refuse ... I've limited myself to only one post per thread

I don't it'll be long till MS come out with their own drivers... I hope.

driver pack from creative for the SB Live for XP

Do they work with the Audigy?

Just go get a mac. They work.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ling, fix the forums, now the General link heads to Fan Fiction...

KT266A is happy.

Athlon 1.4 is happy.

512MB DDR is happy.

GF3 is happy. Matrox G550 is nice for office stuff, but kinda crappy for games.

Audigy Platinum is happy. I have one. I like it lots. EVEN UNDAR TEH WINDOWS EX PEE HUARHUAR (shut up arioch)

IBM? Eeegh. I'm avoiding IBM hard drives for awhile.

16x CDRW and DVD are happy, but, uh, eh, NEC? NEC isn't so bad, Dell uses them a lot. But they're kind of...generic. I'd have gotten a Yamaha.

Cordless?!?! Dear god, childe, what are you thinking?

Windows 2000 is happy.

Overall, not a bad system, really. I'd buy it, 'cept I already have an identical one.

Just go get a mac. They work.

...as good doorstops, paperweights, fishtanks, catapult-projectile,

They work

better after you dismantle 'em and replace with PC goodness...

my work here is done :D

IBM? Eeegh. I'm avoiding IBM hard drives for awhile.

I still haven't understood the problem behind those. PC Plus, for example, mention them as best in their category.

16x CDRW and DVD are happy, but, uh, eh, NEC? NEC isn't so bad, Dell uses them a lot. But they're kind of...generic. I'd have gotten a Yamaha.

I actually asked for one of those 1337 tray-less Pioneer DVD-ROMs and a PlexWriter, but that was all they had. Damn it.

Cordless?!?! Dear god, childe, what are you thinking?

Mom's fault :) It's actually her PC, but I'm the one who uses it most.

well I had an IBM last time round and it fataled on me, and now I'm looking at four figures to retrieve last round's worth of doom wads, endless uni. word assignments, but, most importantly, my goddarn digital photos. I lost about 100 valued, and irreplaceable jpegs thanx to that HD bumming out on me. I know, I know, I should have burned 'em on to CD but I'm a lazy bastard, ok? and I don't see why my IBM HD should just decide to frazzle it's own partition table for no apparent reason. So I won't be touching them ever again... :<

one of those 1337 tray-less Pioneer DVD-ROMs

Heh, my mate has one of those. It was really stiff (huh huh) getting the discs in a first.

well I had an IBM last time round and it fataled on me, and now I'm looking at four figures to retrieve last round's worth of doom wads, endless uni. word assignments, but, most importantly, my goddarn digital photos. I lost about 100 valued, and irreplaceable jpegs thanx to that HD bumming out on me. I know, I know, I should have burned 'em on to CD but I'm a lazy bastard, ok? and I don't see why my IBM HD should just decide to frazzle it's own partition table for no apparent reason. So I won't be touching them ever again... :<

IBM SCSI drives are sweet, they keep cool compared with - for example - these (grabs into the trashcan for spell-checking) "Fujitsu" drives. This drive died just two yesterday and it was always so hot, you could have cooked eggs on its surface. For IBM drives: They have a little hole on their top, caller "breather hole". Block this or affix a funky sticker on it and the drive will die. I think most drives have such holes somewhere. Even the slow rotating older 5400 rps IBM SCSI drives perform fast and the 7200 rpm IBM will not give you any reason to complain about.

If you are looking for "brutal" performance, shop for a 10.000 rpm Seagate Cheata. I have two such drives. Even if they are noisy, you will love the speed when hooked to a nice SCSI controller :)

What the hell, I keep hearing good things about Fujitsu drives too.

Seagate Cheata? No thanks. :P

*** This post brought to you by my neighbor. ***

We used to have Fujitsu drives at school, and out of 40 or so one would fatal or develop some sort of fault about once a week. They were darned quiet, though, perhaps a little too quiet, if you get my meaning :)
As for IBM, well I made my feeling quite clear about them a while back :(