Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeb

Monster sees through walls problem *solved*

Hello!

I'm working on a cooperative map using Doom Builder for Doom 2. I have a problem with monsters that are able to see the player through walls.

Here's an example image:

http://www.oxeye.se/files/temp/doom_monsters.gif

Immediately when the game starts, one of the imps (marked with a cyan circle in the image) is activated by the player's start position (marked in green). This is not the only location in the map where monsters see the players through walls :( Why is this happening? How do I remove the problem?

Thanks in advance.

The Imp is activated before the player has a chance to do anything... but just in case I tried your suggestion, and it didn't help.

I should probably note that i'm using the zDoom client. Not sure if the problem exists in other clients.

I tried a different client and noticed that the problem only occurred in ZDoom, so it was a ZDoom bug. However, I noticed that my ZDoom version was quite old so I tried downloading the latest version instead.... and that worked better :)

Problem solved!

Yeah this was a zdoom bug caused by adopting Doom v1.2/Heretic/Hexen's style of line-of-sight checking. There's a bug in the code where it fails to consider a certain case (I forgot what exactly the case is) and falls into to the "I can see you" code inappopriately. It became a bit notorious as far as source port bugs go because it was in zdoom for a long time.

Quasar said:
Yeah this was a zdoom bug caused by adopting Doom v1.2/Heretic/Hexen's style of line-of-sight checking. There's a bug in the code where it fails to consider a certain case (I forgot what exactly the case is)

If you can remember that, it would be helpful with getting v1.2 compatibility in prBoom+ 95% done.

Actually you could just look at the Heretic source code. The portion of the source in question is from Doom v1.2 and wasn't written by Raven, so I really don't think their already bullshit license can stick to it.

Not to mention that it's only a specialized version of the generic trace code (which, btw, also contains this bug.)