Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jinx

Recommend a source port for me plz

With the intent to do the following:

Playing coop over internet not lan with ultimate doom, doom2, and final doom (No 3rd party wads). I dont care to use new weapons, I want to play as close to the originals as possible.

Have free look mouse support.

Better graphics.

Better AI?, not necessary though.

That boils down to ZDoom, or better yet ZDaemon if you don't want to mess with too difficult network settings. There, I said it.

I've never had any luck joining anybody and playing with them for more than 30 seconds (before an OOS error) on ZDoom.

Use Skulltag, which is pretty much the best port for online play.

Well Ive been using ZDaemon but there are 2 things that are nagging me, 1 is when I look down at the floor the view warps (im assuming because its not true 3D), also even with free look it limits my view so I cant look straight up or straight down. This becomes problematic when you are in a small room trying to kill badies that are either straight up or straight down.

Is there are source port that has what ZDaemon has but not those problems I mentioned?, Id assume some source port with OpenGL would solve the funny looking floors and possibly true free look mouse support.

Thx in advance.

Jinx said:

Well Ive been using ZDaemon but there are 2 things that are nagging me, 1 is when I look down at the floor the view warps (im assuming because its not true 3D), also even with free look it limits my view so I cant look straight up or straight down. This becomes problematic when you are in a small room trying to kill badies that are either straight up or straight down.

Is there are source port that has what ZDaemon has but not those problems I mentioned?, Id assume some source port with OpenGL would solve the funny looking floors and possibly true free look mouse support.

Thx in advance.

Skulltag has OpenGL and just about everything ZDaemon has.

http://www.skulltag.com

You could just download it and find out for yourself O_o

But yes it does. And you can turn it off if you want.

Its getting to the point where:

Skulltag = GZDoom + decent netcode

All thats missing is the true 3D floors AFAIK.

Steeveeo said:

Its getting to the point where:

Skulltag = GZDoom + decent netcode

All thats missing is the true 3D floors AFAIK.

Very close! 3D floors will be available to use in Skulltag 97D (final) for the coop, survival, and invasion game modes.

Frag/point based game modes will not support it however.

For more info read this thread:
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10027

Ya, you can look directly up and down with Skulltag but in order to do so you have to use the opengl renderer. The software renderer doesn't support it. The default settings though for the opengl renderer are pretty close to the classic software look if that's what you're looking for. If you want it to look better though, raise the resolution and turn on anti-aliasing as well as bilinear filtering.

All that being said I highly recommend Skulltag.... I'm one of the Administrators for the port though which makes me incredibly biased. Try both Skulltag and ZDaemon out and see which one you prefer is probably the best thing to do.

Something that might be fun however which you can only do in Skulltag is to play through the entire thing using Survival Co-op. It's the same as normal co-op except that you and your friend only have 1 life each. If both of you die then the mission 'fails' and it resets. It makes it a lot more fun as people actually care about dying and the map progresses more in the manner that it was originally intended - with care!