Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Release] The Ultimate Torment & Torture (v1.02 Final)

What started back in 2000 with the NewDoom Wad in a Week Contest ends toda, 7 years later, with the final Ultimate Torment & Torture. Experience all the original episodes again, totally revamped and adjusted to today's editing standards of GZDoom and the all new Episode 4 - Havoc, 3 brand-new levels filled with nasty traps and evil battles set in an exciting environment and an breathtaking atmosphere. Sparked your interest? Then check the projects section on the Realm667 for some further information and the download link itsellf. Go get UTNT now!

Features
* All 4 classic episodes revamped
* All new episode 4 "Havoc" feat. 3 totally new maps
* 3 new weapons feat. flame weapons & the minigun
* 3 unique classes (scout, marine, commando)
* 8 player coop compatibility (incl. checkpoint system)
* Voice acting for ingame messages and intermission texts
* Intermap sequences for every map
* Weapons special effects (sparks, casings)
* New monsters (from the beastiary as well as totally new ones)
* Powered by GZDoom (24bit graphics, 3d floors)
* Realistic gore (blood squirts & exploding bodies)
* Mission objectives & unique goals for each map
* Dynamic lights
* Environment special effects (e.g. sparks, comets, steam)
* Countless new surprises, secrets and easter eggs

Screenshots

Download
http://www.realm667.com/
Mirrors:
http://www.aldp.ws/5622/tutnt.zip - Provided by Andy Leaver
http://supergods-servers.eu.tc/tutnt.zip - Provided by Supergod

Other than that
Have fun with playing, do not forget to read the utnt.txt file and send in some comments to make me happy!

Updates
Hotfix v1.01 released! If you have downloaded UTNT v1.0, please redownload. Same link, same filename!
Final #1 Release, v1.02
Same Link, same Download, different File!

I'm downloading it right now, the screenshots look pretty nice.

edit: It nearly killed my computer the first time I downloaded it, but now it's working a little better. Why is the file a whopping 64 MBs big? Did you put in a bunch of MP3s or something?

Well, the large file size has different reasons. One of them is indeed the music, it's in OGG and S3M/MOD format but there are about 12 tunes in there which makes up for a overall size of about 20MB music only. The rest are true color PNG graphics, sounds (voice acting as well) and the maps themselves (25MB unzipped) But it's worth every little byte of it, no unnecessary stuff I promise ;)

BTW, I'd be happy if someone could post a little thread for the news page :)

Tormentor667 said:

I'd greatly appreciate some mirrors ;)

/Idgames provides.

EDIT. Ah, I suppose they won't accept it with that filesize.

I'm on the second level so far, and I'm enjoying the wad quite a bit. The only problem I've had so far is getting lost. There are quite a few dead ends in the first level, and I wandered around for a bit before I actually jumped into that giant lake of green water, which turned out to be the way I was supposed to go. I had just figured that since it looked like nukage, maybe I shouldn't jump in it. I also find the character system kinda pointless. From what I've seen so far, it just determine how much health you have and what weapon you start with. Doesn't seem to useful, unless each class gets a different special weapon (example: commando gets the minigun).

Oh, and I found a glaring HOM on map two near the yellow door. It's only visible when the lift lowers.

As far as mirrors go, you could get the guy on Doomwadstation to host it for you. I don't think he really gives a rat's ass about file size.

I know I mentioned it in the beta suggestions... but I'm still not sold on the voices. They're interesting... but they don't add anything. They don't detract, but they just feel "there". I'm never attracted to the character you play and don't feel connected to him in any way through the voices. Also, I still agree about the class system... it feels totally unnecessary. I'm glad the alternate ending was made optional and informed... much less confusing.

Nice work tormentor... this wad is insanely hard, but visually stunning. Nice work.

sweet downloading. i also have a question. i saw your beastiary section with tons of monsters to DL and im wondering how do you add them in game (note im using Zdoom) i wanna add them to neodoom lvls or i jus wanna randomly spawn em so how do i do it?

edit: and also how do you activate your game in gzdoom?

Why do you release a project for a port that requires GL nodes to work without them? There's only normal nodes present and they are perfectly useless.

@Craigs - Well, the character system just makes little differences if you start from the beginning but it's quite interesting if you directly enter one of the later episodes or even play in Coop were most of the usual weapons don't lie around at the beginning, that's the reaon why I kept them.
Beyond, TNT01 is one of the non-linear maps in the set and the lake thingie isn't that obvious, that's true but I never had problems with this in the original TNT Episode 1 so I didn't think someone might run into problems the second time.

@Aleaver - That would be great, thx alot for the offer :)

Quite awesome. I took once a peek at one of the original episodes (don't remember which one), and decided against playing the rest when I heard you were making this.

Also, finished downloading while I typed this post :D

Graf Zahl said:

Why do you release a project for a port that requires GL nodes to work without them? There's only normal nodes present and they are perfectly useless.

Uh... I knew I missed something. :( How can I build only GL nodes and nothing else?

Better use ZDBSP with the options '-z -x -b -r'. That will produce the optimal result with the least amount of memory.

GLBSP cannot create compressed nodes so the file size will be quite a bit larger - and it might have problems with some of your map names. I never tested the extension format that was invented to handle them.

Graf Zahl said:

GLBSP cannot create compressed nodes so the file size will be quite a bit larger - and it might have problems with some of your map names. I never tested the extension format that was invented to handle them.

Thx, done, in most cases it's actually smaller but wether or not, its better as the game starts up much faster now. Beyond, no problems encountered conc. the map names, it worked out fine as it seems :)

Yeah Craigs playing the original TNT episodes does help with the "getting lost" factor ;), unless of course, it's been ages since you've played 'em. Anyway Torm I've posted on your site so I don't need to repeat myself here but thanks for the release!

Since you're going to have a lot of praise from the detail whore crew anyway I'll skip that and go straight to the constructive criticism (even though I've only played the first two "episodes" so far):

• I actually like the character classes, but the commando is ridiculously overpowered. 150 max life? A completely new weapon (that's far better than the chaingun)? If you are going to do a second release, at least drop his life to 125!
  • Please, for the love of god, don't have any situations where the player has to pick up a large ammo/health/armor bonus to continue in the map. A good example is one necessary battle in the first episode that is triggered after picking up a soulsphere; I was personally at over 150 life at that point (with the scout class, not the commando) and groaning about the fact that I have to waste +50 completely good life points just because of idiotic level design. Pick ups that trigger scripts aren't the only cases though, bad places for "big" items are also narrow corridors where you can't walk past them (and return to get them later).
  • Seriously, what's up with that Mastermind and the two railgun arachs in ep 1?
  • Voice acting isn't bad (except the narrative in the intermission screen, whoever did those lines could take a few pointers on pacing), but cheesy lines are extremely bad.
  • You could try having a map that has no backtracking and new monsters spawning in along. Well, there's nothing actually wrong with that but it's already turning into your trademark and is becoming way too predictable.

I'm sorry, but I bet this wad, as good as it may be, will soon join the ranks of KZiZD and DRE, wads that lots of people hates for some reason.

Anyway, it's looking pretty. I'm d/l it right now.

Um, am I SUPPOSED to instantly die every time I enter the boss room on Episode 4 Part 3? Every time I enter and the wall raises behind me I just BOOM INSTANTDEATH. wtf is with this

@Andi - Thx alot for the mirror :) Could you be so kind and update the file as soon as v1.01 is online? (+20 minutes from now)

@Jodwin - Thx for the feedback, there are a few things that I actually want to change myself and with which I agree. Expect some changes in v1.01

@Mivalekan - The f*** :| Already uploading v1.01 of UTNT with a hotfix for that and several other issues. Sorry for that!

Tormentor667 said:

@Andi - Thx alot for the mirror :) Could you be so kind and update the file as soon as v1.01 is online? (+20 minutes from now)

Sure thing...oh and it's Andy :P