Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doom 1994 megawad

Just a thought, I'm considering going through the archvives, clicking random file, and testing a whole bunch of single level pwads. Picking out the ones that are balanced and playable and are at least somewhat fun, have less than 10 votes or reviews, and piecing them together as a megawad. Of course every author of the maps will be credited in the text file. They will be peiced together by order of theme, so E1 style maps will be in the beginning, hellish style maps toward the end, etc. None of the maps will be altered in anyway except for the lump names.

Do I have to get every authors current individual approval? Would i get away without legal trouble if I taped them all together in one megawaddy mess with their author names credited in the text file? I would assume it would be okay if the text file says "you may use this wad as a base for" whatever in it.

I've just been playing random files from the archives, and half of which were really quite enjoyable. This megawad will extend their appreciation.

There are a bunch of collections of wads circa 1994 that are out there already, I forget the names of some of them but they are there.

JohnnyRancid said:

Do I have to get every authors current individual approval?

The readme file of PWAD can answer the question: You may use this level or You may NOT use this level ...

I tried to do this with Maximum DOOM but got bored of it.

Another idea I had was to mix all the maps that were designed by people related to id Software (American Mc Gee, Tim Willits, John Anderson, Christen Klye, Sverre Kvernmo, Casali brothers, Tom Mustain, Jim Flynn not because his maps replace existing textures, neither TNT because they already do megawads). Then polish the maps, but that'd take ages, some of these maps (read Tim Willits in particular) suck hard.

• Make sure permission to reuse is given in the text file
  • Don't upload it to the archive, because it will be rejected*
  • Upload it to a personal webspace or a place that accepts these compilations
* Unless these levels are not in the archive. But then it's probably better to upload them as you found them (separately).

Genoveffo said:

Great idea! I love 1994 mapping style!

I think can you misunderstood the sense of what wants they're friend johnny rancid.... he wants to made a sort of compilation of various doom\ doom 2 older wads....

BTW i've made for my personal use some of this kind of compliation when i was young (why, now i'm old??? ^_^)....

daimonreloaded said:

I think can you misunderstood the sense of what wants they're friend johnny rancid.... he wants to made a sort of compilation of various doom\ doom 2 older wads....

BTW i've made for my personal use some of this kind of compliation when i was young (why, now i'm old??? ^_^)....

I meant: since I love 1994 wads, I'd like playing a megawad.

My favorite stuff from 1994 is Alberto Barsella's Wasteland series: Dead Base, and Mountain of Fire. The third one is OK too, but wasn't ever really finished.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

In general WADs back from the beginning of the era of DooM mapping were really well-designed in terms of being original, fun, and balanced. Sure, there were alot of fuck-ups back in the day, but people were still trying out new ideas with their primitive tools, as does a caveman with a stone. I think it would be a better idea to research the style of mappers around in '94 and make your own maps that aren't the same refried shit over and over again. And since we're talking '94, people probably won't expect uber-detail.

I've noticed that the kind of stuff I design varies from editor to editor - using DEU makes me think in two dimensions where as DooM Builder makes me want to abuse the hell out of the other "half-dimension" available in the engine. Or in the case of GZDooM, DooM Builder makes me want to push the 3D floors thing to it's limit.

Genoveffo said:

Do you mean this wad?

Yes. I didn't actually know that he released that as a full set. I talked to him online around that time, and convinced him to release the third map. I don't even think I knew about the fourth, I'll have to check that out.

I love 1994 wads therefore I'll help you if you want to contact him for the 4th map. You write an e-mail in English and I translate it into Italian.

The Copyrights/Permissions text makes it clear that it is.

BTW, despite the comments in the text-file, Mausoleum contains plenty of ammo (and a berserk early on) and is very playable from a pistol start. I got a bit low on health, but that was mainly because I was minimizing ammo usage to start with - unnecessarily, as it turned out.

Why is it that the o.p. hasn't posted anything else ever since.

NO, compilations have a large chance of being uninteresting, unless their compilator reworks the levels somewhat to form a new self-called series. I liked Heroes and might like H2 because I don't or didn't know the levels and their succession was/is fun. Make sure about it, Rancid, if you're reading.

Why is it that the o.p. hasn't posted anything else ever since.

Why does it matter? I asked some simple questions and they were answered. Then some other conversation grew off this thread that I dont have a whole lot of interest in. What did you want me to say?