Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

Star Trek or Wars? A sci-fi debate...

There are two things that I feel are the pure expression of my escapist side. One is, of course, Doom, and the other is Star Trek, where I disappear into the 23rd/24th century and words like 'deadline' cease to exist...
Doom is not far away from being sci-fi, indeed you might well think it is, so i have put that option below. Who's the daddy of sci-fi?

None. When people starts to milk these things without proper management then each one spawns its own batch of horrible crap.

Had lots of fun with the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight and Elite Force, though...

I was just looking at some postcount++ antics...
Newbie = Ensign
Cool Newbie = Lieutenant junior grade
Fast Newbie = Lieutenant
Member = Lieutenant Commander
Senior Member = Commander
No Life = Captain (as in Captain ArchVile 64)
Needs a Job = Admiral (Admiral Deadnail)
Above 5000 = Fuhrer :>

Should we address those of a higher rank as sir? (sarcasm:))

Impossible decision. You can't compare Star Trek and Star Wars... both are real though completely different.

the new star wars may suk, but the old ones are timeless.

Maybe so, but have you seen the trailers for AOTC? This movie is shaping up to be perhaps the biggest, baddest, and possibly the best SW ever created for film audiences...

...ok, so the romance scenes look sorta lame. Wait, did I say "lame?" Quick, someone call Katarhyne!!

Y'know, there's a "Star Trek vs Star Wars" mod for one of the Starfleet Command games. I read about it in PC gamer. I don't own Starfleet Command myself, but if someone does and could download it, maybe they could settle this thing.

Y'know, there's a "Star Trek vs Star Wars" mod for one of the Starfleet Command games. I read about it in PC gamer. I don't own Starfleet Command myself, but if someone does and could download it, maybe they could settle this thing.

C'mon. Admiral Piet and the Super Star Destroyer v. Picard and the Enterprise? The outcome isn't all that hard to figure out...

yeah, but Picard always wins, no matter what the odds, strange, innit? :)
Has anyone seen the new Enterprise series of Star Trek. I'm still waiting with growing impatience for it to be screened over here...

yeah, but Picard always wins, no matter what the odds, strange, innit? :)
Has anyone seen the new Enterprise series of Star Trek. I'm still waiting with growing impatience for it to be screened over here...

Yeah, I've seen a few episodes, and I must say that I am quite dissapointed. The technology used in ENTERPRISE looks like it came straight out of the ST movies. Hell, the enterprise itself looks like it could be even more advanced than the friggin enterprise from INSURRECTION. Where's the continuity in that? Before I saw the new show, I assumed that the producers would make the enterprise look something like it did in the original shows/movies (not very techy-looking). What the hell? And the starfleet uniforms are NOTHING like those from the original TV shows. Again, they look more advanced. There's also some discontinuity between some of the plots and what we've seen on other Trek shows. Besides this (is there anything left?), it's a decent sci-fi that I recommend you watch at least once. Who knows, you may even like it.

the other trekkers and I have already been noting little things like how ridiculous the registry number of the ship is, etc. But you're right, Prime, there is a big problem with making the stuff look too modern...
It was a brave idea going back, rather than forwards in time in the ST universe, but it means pre-dating the classic, kitsch look of 60s ST. Possible? Not easy!

Why the sarcasm?

Why the sarcasm?

I'm sorry sir, ubergruppenfuhrer Lut, sir! ;)

Uh-oh...

Star Trek vs. Star Wars is a hard decision. Star Trek is very scientific and political, and the characters are very interesting. Star Wars is action packed and has cool aliens and ships. Its hard to compare. Bothe very good. I prefer Sci-Fi in the novel form, especialy Ray Bradbury, any Dune Novel, or my favorite: the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series. The new Star Trek series is okay...I watched about 3 episodes. Bacula makes a good captain. Otherwise, its kind of so-so. The intro/theme song S-U-C-K.

Maybe so, but have you seen the trailers for AOTC? This movie is shaping up to be perhaps the biggest, baddest, and possibly the best SW ever created for film audiences...

Yeah this one doesn't look like some kind of ILM demo reel...

Uh-oh...

yeah, I'm a lazy bastard with my special characters, ok? That line should have no less than three umlauts in it... :)